Home

POLL IS OVER! Please Do Not Vote.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

To the best of your knowledge, you've never had covid
And you're vaccinated  
 66%  [ 137 ]
And you're unvaccinated  
 33%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 206


amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:11 pm
.....And

*You are vaccinated
*You are unvaccinated

Just for curiosity's sake

*This poll is intended for those living in North America*
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:18 pm
Interesting because reading some of the Corona threads would make one assume that everyone Jewish person had Corona and therefore taking precautions was completely unnecessary because they had already gotten COVID so what was the point?
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:37 pm
For adults at this point most people I know have been symptomatic to some degree--either they "didn't know it at the time" or "thought it was a cold" but it's been rare that people had it and were completely asymptomatic. I know for myself that after a year+ most people were like "how did you not have it?" or "Did you check for antibodies?" and I had nothing to even check--other than the 1-2 colds I had and I did. When I had it, I didn't realize it was Covid at first but I was definitely symptomatic.
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:50 pm
The reason why I'm vaccinated is because I never got covid yet!!!
It would be interesting to find out how many ppl got covid after being vaccinated.
My husband didn't vaccinated because he had covid. (It was a while ago he has to recheck for antibodies!)
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:21 pm
miami85 wrote:
For adults at this point most people I know have been symptomatic to some degree--either they "didn't know it at the time" or "thought it was a cold" but it's been rare that people had it and were completely asymptomatic. I know for myself that after a year+ most people were like "how did you not have it?" or "Did you check for antibodies?" and I had nothing to even check--other than the 1-2 colds I had and I did. When I had it, I didn't realize it was Covid at first but I was definitely symptomatic.


And my experience is just the opposite as almost no one I know has gotten Covid and many of them have had to be tested for various reasons including being cautious. We joke that we didn’t even get colds this year because of our masks.

I know of one person who got sick during the initial outbreak in New Rochelle because he attended the wedding which was a super spreader event.

One very old man died in my building before vaccinations because he was infected by a home health care worker and it obviously was impossible to completely safeguard under those circumstances.

Everyone I know followed precautions including wearing masks and avoiding indoor events and we were all vaccinated as soon as possible. Those who are eligible got boosters. Even my cleaning woman got her booster.
Back to top

rdmom




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:24 pm
I never had covid. Had no antibodies. Same for my husband. We are both vaccinated now. And we were around people who had covid. While they had it.
So we got vaccinated.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:34 pm
I never had covid (I had many head colds but I was also pregnant which for me seems to come with a never ending cold so who really knows if I did have it) I got vaccinated after my baby was born in the spring time.

I know tons of people who had covid from very mild to very severe cases.

The main reason I got vaccinated was because I did not have COVID. If I had it, I am not fully sure if I would get vaccinated or not. My feelings are conflicted.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:06 pm
We're at 20 to 38 now

So the number of unvaccinated never-infected is about half the number of vaccinated never-infected.

One could say that this demonstrates a 50% efficacy of the vaccine- it does work to prevent infections, but only half the time. Which actually kind of makes sense in light of what I've seen in the real world.

But if course, since we're working with such a small pool of people here, it's ridiculous to extrapolate anything from this poll. So it's just for fun. Nothing meaningful can really be taken out of it.

Though it does kind of hold up in real life.
Back to top

amother




Whitesmoke
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:13 pm
Never had covid and unvaccinated. I thought I was the only one left.

ETA: At one point I had all the symptoms but tested negative for covid and no antibodies.

None of my kids caught it and a few of them do have antibodies.

My husband had covid about 8 months ago but none of the rest of us caught it from him although we were not at all careful with germ spread.
We are all unvaccinated.

There is no logic to be found here. We were very careful during the original covid breakout but haven't socially distanced or masked or anything since.
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're at 19 to 35 now

So the number of unvaccinated never-infected is about half the number of vaccinated never-infected.

One could say that this demonstrates a 50% efficacy of the vaccine- it does work to prevent infections, but only half the time. Which actually kind of makes sense when holding in light of what I've seen in the real world.

But if course, since we're working with such a small pool of people here, it's ridiculous to extrapolate anything from this poll. So it's just for fun. Nothing meaningful can really be taken out of it.

Though it does kind of hold up in real life.

That is not at all what it means. That is not how statistics and scientific conclusions are drawn. If you said that out of a population that was vaccinated, how many caught covid, that would be the conclusion you are trying to draw. The other doesn’t speak to what your data is studying.

Additionally, you would need to adjust for exposure, age, location, and precautions taken.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
That is not at all what it means. That is not how statistics and scientific conclusions are drawn. If you said that out of a population that was vaccinated, how many caught covid, that would be the conclusion you are trying to draw. The other doesn’t speak to what your data is studying.

Additionally, you would need to adjust for exposure, age, location, and precautions taken.


Yeah, we know. It has to be double blind yada yada. I said this is just for fun, but the results do kind of align with what I see in real life. Let's chill a bit. I feel like 50% efficacy kind of makes sense in terms of how many vaccinated people I know who've caught covid. It's interesting that it seems to align with this poll. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started the poll.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
That is not at all what it means. That is not how statistics and scientific conclusions are drawn. If you said that out of a population that was vaccinated, how many caught covid, that would be the conclusion you are trying to draw. The other doesn’t speak to what your data is studying.

Additionally, you would need to adjust for exposure, age, location, and precautions taken.


Do stats about vaccine efficacy typically control for exposure, age, location, and precautions taken? No, they don't.

Often, people who are afraid of covid will 1. Get vaccinated 2. Take certain precautions to avoid exposure.

So when releasing stats on the vaccine, do they control for precautions taken by vaccinated people? No. Wouldn't those precautions contribute to the supposed efficacy of the vaccine? Yes.

So, your comments actually should be directed at the CDC.

Don't be a party pooper.
Back to top

amother




Freesia
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, we know. It has to be double blind yada yada. I said this is just for fun, but the results do kind of align with what I see in real life. Let's chill a bit. I feel like 50% efficacy kind of makes sense in terms of how many vaccinated people I know who've caught covid. It's interesting that it seems to align with this poll. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started the poll.


No but your conclusions are fundamentally flawed, you understand that right? Also efficacy is the wrong word here you are talking about effectiveness.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
No but your conclusions are fundamentally flawed, you understand that right? Also efficacy is the wrong word here you are talking about effectiveness.


You know that you're fundamentally totally missing the vibe of this thread, right?

Also, your last sentence is grammatically incorrect. It's a run-on sentence.
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:26 pm
It still doesn’t make any sense. Your statement is about as logical as having 10 Oranges and 50 apples. Asking the children as they come in if they want and apple or orange. After the orange run out, the children don’t get a choice and just get an apple. Then saying that more children like apples than oranges because many more children are eating apples than orange, which supports actual data that says that apples are the 2nd most popular fruit in America and Oranges are 5th.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
It still doesn’t make any sense. Your statement is about as logical as having 10 Oranges and 50 apples. Asking the children as they come in if they want and apple or orange. After the orange run out, the children don’t get a choice and just get an apple. Then saying that more children like apples than oranges because many more children are eating apples than orange, which supports actual data that says that apples are the 2nd most popular fruit in America and Oranges are 5th.


I wouldn't extrapolate anything from this thread, but the 50 percent thing seems fairly accurate based on what I've seen in real life, and I found that interesting, and said as much.

In terms of controlling for certain factors, the CDC themselves don't do that. So....
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:33 pm
24 to 42

Still about half

So, yeah. Interesting. I'll check again after shabbos IYH
Back to top

amother




DarkGray
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:40 pm
Bli ayin hara to the best of my knowledge none of my family that I live with (husband and kids) had it. I’ve checked for antibodies a few times and was always negative. I plan to check again at my next routine bloodwork.

I hope it stays this way please Hashem.

ETA not vaccinated
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 5:01 pm
I decided to edit the OP to limit location to North America. Based on the zman Shabbos, nobody who is shomer shabbos and living in Israel or the U.K. could have participated in the poll until now anyway. So since I can try to control this poll for location, I may as well.
Back to top

Sarah S




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 5:27 pm
I never had covid, no antibodies.... I was around many ppl with active covid and never caught it. Unvaccinated.
I'm blood type O if it makes a difference and despite taking varies booster for reg vaccines I still don't have immunity to everything. I'm not holding out that a covid vaccines will do anything for me.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] New poll! Help with business name win a pc of jewelry!
by amother
224 Yesterday at 9:01 am View last post
[ Poll ] S/O naming after relatives poll
by amother
16 Tue, Jan 25 2022, 4:38 pm View last post
[ Poll ] S/o cholent thread with poll
by amother
24 Sat, Jan 22 2022, 1:56 pm View last post
[ Poll ] How often do you see friends (poll)?
by amother
28 Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:05 am View last post
[ Poll ] S/o have you ever embarrassed yourself, poll
by amother
11 Fri, Dec 31 2021, 8:42 am View last post