Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o...1990s memories!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:30 pm
Anyone remember Itsakadoozies?

My kids didn't believe me that Rabbi Itche Kadoozy was a ripoff of a popsicle.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:35 pm
Mocha mix. Chaval it's not around anymore...

There was those tiny one size sweaters that magically stretched... Late 90s or early 00s?

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Anyone remember Itsakadoozies?

My kids didn't believe me that Rabbi Itche Kadoozy was a ripoff of a popsicle.

OMG yes!!!! Yum! Craving one now!! They were so yum!

baked ziti

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:20 pm
The food brand Rokeach/Rokeach drinks . We could never figure out whether it's pronounced "Rokayach" or "Rokeech"

pause

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:59 pm
I love this thread! I remember so many things mentioned here!

I remember the adults discussing the OJ Simpson case, the assassination of Rabin, the murder of JonBenet Ramsey, the wedding and death of Lady Diana...

At the library we enjoyed Boxcar Children, Kids Sisters, Bakers Dozen...

We used to wear high ponies, like really high which later turned into messy buns that you had to get just right. In high school, strap shoes came in. I remember teachers wearing what were essentially mary janes.

naomi2

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:59 pm
keym wrote:
Does anyone remember the "bra-strap" headbands.

O.M.G. how was that even a thing?? I forgot until I read this. I wanted one so badly of course I didn't get one. I didn't have those black plastic chokers either.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:51 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 26 2021, 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 6:26 am
momofcuties1 wrote:
Anyone remember tiny tots

Also a really good fruit punch it started with a M..

Wasn't tiny tots later, like after 2000? I grew up in the 90s but don't remember it being a thing then, only when I was older.

Hi beary
Hello kitty
Lisa frank
"Kerokeropi" (or something like that)
Scented stationary

Clinton/Dole
Bush/Gore
Y2k

Jj drinks
Thirst quencher
Laffy taffy
Snacks were 25 cents!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:13 am
After that groundbreaking Jewish Observer edition about kids at risk came out, I wrote a letter to the editor and signed it "a teenager" and it was actually printed in the followup edition!
I was 14 at the time and I have never told anyone that it was me!

I remember my parents' friends coming over on shabbos and discussing/arguing about the topic. A few of them brought up my letter and to my relief, they all agreed with it. They had no idea that the author of the letter was sitting in the room!

Who remembers:
The Steve Madden slides with the platform and the tight black elastic.
Stevenson skirts with the "hammer hook" hanging on the side.
Waterproof disposable cameras to use on water trips. Took me like a year to finish that camera and finally print those pictures!
Chokers!! I wore a fancy pearl one to my siblings wedding and we also wore these chokers made out of clear fishing line with a tiny charm on it.
Patterned Old Navy pajama pants
Aeropostale t-shirts
Spending hours in the mall on Sundays
Taking the train to Manhattan, shopping in Daffy's and walking around 5th Ave. Our parents had no way to reach us and just trusted that we were ok.
Shabbos shoes with high heels and ankle buckles.
Suits on shabbos
If the skirt of the suit had a slit, my mother always wanted me to make it a kick pleat but that was so nerdy, we would just have the seamstress sew it up even though it made the skirt so tight, we could barely walk.
Starting to wear "nude" stockings in high school - Travel Buff was the favorite color.

honey36

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 9:09 am
Yes the Steve Madden slides! We had a trampoline and I remember when my sisters friends came over there was a huge pile of the identical slides next to the trampoline!

Yes, skirts were a lot harder to come by then. Not as many Jewish brands. So if we found a skirt at the mall that was long enough, we always bought it and sewed up the slits even though we couldn't walk!

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 10:50 am
The 90s is when the US lost its last remaining morsel of shame...President Clinton's highly publicized trial for lying about Monica Lewinsky helped with that. Suddenly immorality sold everything, with unabashed brazenness...remember Abercrombie and Fitch and Victorias Secret stores with their huge pictures appearing on mall windows? It wasn't uncommon for yeshivish kids to not be allowed to go to the mall without a parent. Disney got a new CEO who decided to sell immorality to kids, creating a line of movies with princesses dressed like harlots for little girls to admire. Brittney Spears...well, she was next level, that poor, exploited girl...for American pop culture, it was a sad decade...

And it was the decade when bullying got so bad, the first of the never ending school shootings appeared. Remember when a school shooting actually got a ton of coverage? Now they get a quick day of attention, we expect them. To me, the cruelty of America's teens to one another, and the shameless, exploitative pop culture of the 90s were intertwined.

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:46 am
Lets revisit 90s fashion: Shoes had square toes and block style heels, bonus points if they came from Nine West. Cool clothes came from the Gap, was shocking to me when I realized Gap is no longer considered cool among teens today. Eye brows tweezed super thin ala Pamela Anderson. For girls, the lanky, extremely thin body type was trending, remember the models from the Delia's catalogue? Brown lipstick, vkery lined with lip liner, and shiny light nude shades were the popular lipsticks. Hair had to be super straight, which we achieved with the help of Elchim blow dryers and hair irons. We loved our suits on Shabbos, and later our twin sets over ball gown skirts for weddings...

baked ziti

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:23 pm
Polly pockets
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego
Putt Putt
Freddy Fish
Annoying windows screensavers that bounces around the screen

clowny

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
AOL Internet - “you’ve got mail!”

When you had to unplug your phone line and plug the wire into the computer to access the internet, so you couldn't use your phone and internet at the same time. And sometimes it took many tries to connect to AOL.

Oh my… and you actually heard the dial up beeps…

I was just organizing some old photos.. yeah you got it right.. these 4x6 photos and all of a sudden out of nowhere a negative print appeared. Anybody remember those? The Kodak films ad negatives. We would compare our class trip photos and fight over the negatives of whoever had the best shots so we can develop more. Lol.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 4:55 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I'm not sure I remember the Shira skirt? What I do remember is that suddenly long skirts became not tznius because they were in style, so I was in trouble all the time. I kept trying to pick skirts that were "doodie length" (no idea how to spell that or what the origin of that word was Surprised ) even though I would've been nebby because I just wanted to stop being in trouble, but I must've kept missing the mark because I was still getting in trouble for having a skirt too long. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

It was a mispronounciation of 'duty length'.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:51 am
baked ziti wrote:
Polly pockets
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego
Putt Putt
Freddy Fish
Annoying windows screensavers that bounces around the screen

I loved that game!

Those flat Keds sneakers.
Bazooka gum with the little weird cartoon papers inside.
Paskesz noshkes snack bags.
Ralph Lauren oxford shirts- or was that only in my school? (more like mid 00's)

mom_13

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:20 am
This was early 2000's but 90's babies get this. Two words

Michal Negrin

You were either in or out, no two ways about it.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics