Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Whats better than IKEA for storage (tall cabinets w adjustab

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 2:24 pm
Whats the next or a few notch(es) up, or more, after Ikea, for better quality furniture with adjustable shelves for any room in the house?

What brands will last much longer than Ikea, and not be outrageously expensive per cabinet, and where can I buy?

What can I expect to pay per tall cabinet with adjustable shelves top to bottom?

tia

happy chick

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 2:41 pm
Ikea is pretty good quality. My Ikea stuff is lasting 15+ years and still going. And trust me, we got a lot of use/abuse going on here by the kids.

I use their stuff for books, toys, food, clothes. Even the doors are doing well.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 2:42 pm
If your Ikea is not holding up, consider hiring someone who knows what they are doing to assemble. Good assembly is key for having them last. Some people also like to use wood glue in addition to the screws.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 2:51 pm
My Ikea tall adjustable cabinets (Pax) have lasted very well including being moved twice. The largest shelves that had the most stuff stuffed onto them started to sag, but those are about $10 to replace with brand new ones if you don't want to just turn them upside down to sag the other way. Other than that everything is working out fine and I love the way I was able to customize it. And it looks great, too (I paid a little more than I would have liked to get pretty doors and handles, but still a lot less than a custom unit from a furniture maker)

Starting to feel like a bit of an evangelist because I keep posting about this... but I'm really, really happy with this system.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 2:52 pm
I have nothing from IKEA yet but theres a thread here w some Imas complaining that it doesnt last.

Whats the next higher up in price and quality?

tia

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 3:55 pm
seeker wrote:
My Ikea tall adjustable cabinets (Pax) have lasted very well including being moved twice. The largest shelves that had the most stuff stuffed onto them started to sag, but those are about $10 to replace with brand new ones if you don't want to just turn them upside down to sag the other way. Other than that everything is working out fine and I love the way I was able to customize it. And it looks great, too (I paid a little more than I would have liked to get pretty doors and handles, but still a lot less than a custom unit from a furniture maker)

Starting to feel like a bit of an evangelist because I keep posting about this... but I'm really, really happy with this system.

Great to see so much support for Ikea! Not OP, but just got two Pax wardrobes with professional assembly and excited to see I can expect them to last.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 6:56 pm
Thanks all!

1- Whats the best at Ikea thats a high cabinet and totally shelves from top to bottom or combunation drawers and shelves, for maximum storage? Or better and not crazy expensive?

2- What are the assembly options? Someone deliveres and assembles, or it gets delivered, and then someone else assembles?

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 8:38 pm
Best customizable combination of shelves and drawers is Pax, and it goes really high - there are options I think 72" or 90". 90" is just about to my ceiling. There are two different depths.

They have an assembly service, or you can assemble yourself, or you can hire someone separately to assemble if for some reason you prefer that. The assembly is really not difficult at all. If you're getting a tall, deep frame then you will need someone moderately strong to help lift/hold parts and to lift up the whole thing when done. (doesn't need to be a bodybuilder, but not a kid either.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 8:58 pm
seeker wrote:
Best customizable combination of shelves and drawers is Pax, and it goes really high - there are options I think 72" or 90". 90" is just about to my ceiling. There are two different depths.

They have an assembly service, or you can assemble yourself, or you can hire someone separately to assemble if for some reason you prefer that. The assembly is really not difficult at all. If you're getting a tall, deep frame then you will need someone moderately strong to help lift/hold parts and to lift up the whole thing when done. (doesn't need to be a bodybuilder, but not a kid either.)

Does assembly service mean they come to your home to assemble, or you pay for assembly and then pick it up fully assembled?

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 9:09 pm
It needs to be assembled in the place you'll use it. These things are too bulky to get through doors and stuff, and also they would get damaged.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 9:11 pm
seeker wrote:
It needs to be assembled in the place you'll use it. These things are too bulky to get through doors and stuff, and also they would get damaged.

About how long does it generally take from the time you place the order, to having someone come down to assemble (which means it has to be after delivery) ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 9:26 pm
Also, which is the closest location to Brooklyn, NY?

Are all Ikea locations similarly staffed and stocked or are some more customer-friendly?

tia

otstud

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 10:16 pm
I think the closest is elizabeth, nj

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 10:26 pm
I use IKEA storage systems a lot in my house. We are actually redoing three closets now with our stuff. Just note a lot of their stuff are out of stock and it's very annoying. The pax system is great and very strong. There is an IKEA in Brooklyn. You can check online to see what they have in stock and what they don't. My experience from this week is if they do not have any shelves in white in 19 and 29 in.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 11:51 pm
There is an Ikea in Brooklyn but all locations are not equally well stocked - if you're placing an order online then you would be able to see at checkout which locations have the items you need. I found the online ordering process a bit glitchy at times. But if you have the patience to call them by phone you should be able to work things out.

I got 19" white shelves a couple of weeks ago with no issue. 29" I think they may be phasing out the size altogether, because most items in that size are out of stock in all the local stores. I hope not because I love the versatility... again you could probably get clarity by phone with customer service.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:21 am
I went on the Ikea website and I see that you have to buy many parts to get what you need for each cabinet.

For someone whos clueless, can they get the information they need by calling Ikea customer service, or are they better off going down to a store and someone at the store will explain what they need to buy to get the cabinet they need?

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 7:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I went on the Ikea website and I see that you have to buy many parts to get what you need for each cabinet.

For someone whos clueless, can they get the information they need by calling Ikea customer service, or are they better off going down to a store and someone at the store will explain what they need to buy to get the cabinet they need?

I just bought a tall kitchen cabinet to put in my garage for storage. I went to the store, and there were some guys in the kitchen section, and we discussed what I wanted, (size, doors, shelves, drawers etc) they placed the order for me and I paid on the spot. Its nice to see the things in real that you are buying as well, since they have them all there. Then I picked it up 30 minutes later from the collection point near the checkouts. They texted me when my order was ready. That part was pretty easy. Then I had to wait a month until my husband had time to put it together. I should have hired someone.

With less complicated systems like kallax or bookshelves you just get the packs yourself from the warehouse but for kitchen furniture this is how it works. Everything is sold seperately - the drawers and the drawer fronts were in 2 seperate packs. I assume it is the same system for wardrobe systems.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 7:36 am
FYI - the Elizabeth store is out of tons of stuff for a long time. In general it seems like their stock was affected by covid

SG18

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 7:46 am
Go in store. They'll give you a list with every piece.

Sara255

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 9:31 am
The step up from ikea is California closets and the container store system called elfa. Or get a custom closet.
I love ikea and go there often but I wouldn't say everything is super high quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics