Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Please help. The fruit flies are back.
1  2  Next

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:46 pm
Once a year usually during the spring or summertime we have fruit flies at in the house. At first it begins with one or two and then I see that it gets out of hand and we have to go all around killing them and looking for leaks etc usually around a month till they are out.
This year they were smart enough to come on a three day yom tov knowing we can't do any thing to them. On Shavous I remember seeing one or two in the bathroom (that's where they they are the most now) and just now I saw six. (and that is probably just what I saw besides for the ones hiding). And one or two in the other rooms.
What Can I do to get rid of them , before it gets out of hand ? (I don't think there are any places with gathered water although I will check)

it’s okay!

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:49 pm
Last year we had tons of fruit flies and we tried everything. Until I found this and within days the flies disappeared. It was gross, tbh, but nothing helped!
https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-F.....psc=1

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:52 pm
Get rid of everything that's out. No fruit or food on the counter. No garbage (put garbage in shopping bag and immediately go outside to throw out). Wash down counters and sinks very well. Leave no residues. Starve them out.

Then pour a cup of bleach down each drain and don't use the sinks/bathtubs after (do this each night before bed). Use a plastic cup to pour from and don't splash (so you don't ruin any finishes).

Starving them out together with lining the drains (where they find what to feed off of) with bleach for a few days in a row until it's been fully clear for 24-48 hours does the trick.

ces

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:54 pm
I've used fruit fly traps with mixed success. What really got them all was a bug zapper light. It's also great for killing any random fly or mosquito that wanders into my house.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:19 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.

Living Princess

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Get rid of everything that's out. No fruit or food on the counter. No garbage (put garbage in shopping bag and immediately go outside to throw out). Wash down counters and sinks very well. Leave no residues. Starve them out.

Then pour a cup of bleach down each drain and don't use the sinks/bathtubs after (do this each night before bed). Use a plastic cup to pour from and don't splash (so you don't ruin any finishes).

Starving them out together with lining the drains (where they find what to feed off of) with bleach for a few days in a row until it's been fully clear for 24-48 hours does the trick.

This, plus mop down your floors as often as possible. And put fruit peels/pits and other smelly things in knotted bags or ziploc bags if you can't throw them out immediately.

Redbird

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:36 pm
Put banana, fruit, etc. (old is good!) into a disposable bowl or plate ect. Poke small holes so the flies can get in. You can also try with yogurt. Once they get in the usually don’t find their way out!

This trap works best if you keep the rest of the house free of whatever food attracts them.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:39 pm
The apple shaped traps linked by a previous poster worked for us also. That together with pouring equal parts white vinegar and boiling water down the drains every night before we went to bed.

Before that I tried homemade apple cider vinegar traps and they didn’t work. They did trap some flies but didn’t solve the problem.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:47 pm
Just wanted to know , why doesn't killing them all (before they become too many) do the job ?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:50 pm
relaxation wrote:
Just wanted to know , why doesn't killing them all (before they become too many) do the job ?

Because they've already moved it and started multiplying.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:02 pm
I had good luck with carnivorous plants. They made quick work of my fruit flies. Here are the types that are typically recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-S.....9YN6M

https://www.amazon.com/Cape-Su.....3L9O0

momallhours

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:15 pm
I had a terrible case of fruit flies! The apple traps did not help since they only killed the live ones not the eggs that were already in the drain ( I know it sounds gross:) In addition to doing the above the below item was the only one that really eliminated the problem completely bhbh!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C.....t+fly

mastermom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:27 pm
Another vote to pour bleach down all sink drains and to not leave out any fruits or other food. Keep your garbage can covered at all times.

NewYorkgal31

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:55 pm
Hot Shot 100046114 No-Pest Strip, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/fA1r67H

This stuff is amazing took a day to get rid of them.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:03 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
Hot Shot 100046114 No-Pest Strip, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/fA1r67H

This stuff is amazing took a day to get rid of them.

I don’t think you are supposed to use in your home.

Similar to the other traps listed: Put apple cider vinegar in small bowl with drop off soap. Cover with bag and poke holes. The vinegar attract them. The bag traps them. And the soap drowns them.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:50 am
It’s your lucky day. I tried EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Hot shot. Apple traps my own traps dawn dish soap in water with plastic rotten fruit apple cider vinegar etc etc etc etc for yearssss
Even hired expensive exterminators

Finally I MADE UP MY OWN SOLUTION AND IT WORKS EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Here it goes.
Keep a bottle of fantastic on the counter. Every time u see one, spray it.
It will fall down and be immobile. Squash it. Throw in garbage
Repeat as necessary.
It’ll take a week or two but eventually all gone!
Just keep killing
First day u will kill like 15
Then 14 then like 12.. etc.

You’re welcome. I’m calling it the SF method

relaxation

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:32 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
It’s your lucky day. I tried EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Hot shot. Apple traps my own traps dawn dish soap in water with plastic rotten fruit apple cider vinegar etc etc etc etc for yearssss
Even hired expensive exterminators

Finally I MADE UP MY OWN SOLUTION AND IT WORKS EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Here it goes.
Keep a bottle of fantastic on the counter. Every time u see one, spray it.
It will fall down and be immobile. Squash it. Throw in garbage
Repeat as necessary.
It’ll take a week or two but eventually all gone!
Just keep killing
First day u will kill like 15
Then 14 then like 12.. etc.

You’re welcome. I’m calling it the SF method
Won't they all just multliply more and more ?

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:47 pm
I don’t know the reproductive method but I’ve used this method and it works. U keep killing thrm. Eventually gone

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 1:20 am
Hi sorry to bump this up
Does ammonia work or does it have to be bleach (don’t have)
Are there other ways to kill them without apple cider vinegar? I don’t have it here at home.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 8:00 am
PeanutMama wrote:
Hi sorry to bump this up
Does ammonia work or does it have to be bleach (don’t have)
Are there other ways to kill them without apple cider vinegar? I don’t have it here at home.

Ammonia will probably work. It needs to kill off and wash down the drains where they set up camp.
But do buy bleach. Not sure how your drains will hold up with ammonia poured down each night.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry