Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Please share your fruit salad recipes
Previous  1  2  3  Next

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:09 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
A combination I love is honeydew, cataloupe and mango with passionfruit pulp as the "dressing".
oh wow ! thanks alot ! Where do you get passion fruit yaer round ?

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:21 pm
I don't use a recipe. I use whatever fresh fruits I have on hand. Occasionally, if the selection is slim, I'll add canned or dried fruit and/or nuts. In winter it tends to be heavy on apples, oranges and bananas; in summer, heavier on melons, berries and kiwis. I don't believe in killing fresh fruit with dressing; let the fruit shine on its own merit.

I never met two fruits that didn't get along with each other. Some fruits bleed color onto whatever they touch, but I don't view a chunk of apple "stained" with cherry or berry juice as a flaw.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:29 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
This is my favorite tropical salad:

Cut up apple
Cut up grapes
Cut up strawberries
Cut up peaches or nectarines
Cut up pineapple

(I see you said no pineapple so you can just skip that out or maybe replace with mango)

The pieces should be diced evenly and the ratio of all items should be the same.

Dressing:

Honey, orange juice, lime juice (honey and orange should be equal part; lime juice half part)
do you use any specific apple , what color grapes taste/look better ?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:43 pm
relaxation wrote:

I’ve used multiple types of apples and they give a different taste but I like multiple types.
For grapes I use red ones.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:31 pm
The mango that is commonly sold on the street doesn’t have a sauce but is sprinkled with a combination of Chile powder, Lime and salt which is called tajín spice. Mexican stores even sell a chile lime salt but it is easy to make your own. It is not uncommon to use salt or other savory elements to intensify the flavor of a sweet fruit.

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon ground chile, such as ancho or paprika
1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 ripe mangoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch slices

PREPARATION
In a small bowl, combine the chile powder, lime zest and salt. Use the chile-lime salt immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Sprinkle the chile-lime salt all over the mango and serve immediately, or loosely cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:34 pm
relaxation wrote:

FWIW I don’t have success with apples in a fruit salad because the apples start to degrade the way cut apples generally do.

You would want to use seedless grapes in a salad. They have some fun grape varieties now like Cotton Candy Grapes which taste like candy.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:34 pm
Fruit salad needs a recipe?

crema

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:49 pm
Crispy Fruit Medley
Mix any smallish-diced fruits such as watermelon, honeydew, kiwi, mango, frozen strawberries sliced, granny smith apples, mandarin orange bits then sprinkle topping over medley just before serving:
Melt 1/4 lb. margarine then add 2/3 cups brown sugar, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1 cup rice krispies.
Spread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:12 pm
How do I cut mangos into cubes ? Do I first peel off the skin or do I cut with the skin and then scoop ?

rowo

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:48 pm
Cubes of watermelon with fresh mint leaves and lime juice is delicious.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:50 pm
rowo wrote:
Cubes of watermelon with fresh mint leaves and lime juice is delicious.
Wow ! Sounds interesting. Im assuming a little lime , Correct ?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 7:14 am
relaxation wrote:
oh wow ! thanks alot ! Where do you get passion fruit yaer round ?

You can get frozen cubes of passionfruit pulp.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 7:22 am
Grapes sliced in half, Crisp apples (like gala) cut in cubes with skin on, strawberries diced, walnut pieces (about a quarter cup), and orange juice (also about a quarter cup). Quantities are to your taste, but about four apples, a pound of grapes, and a quart of strawberries should work. Cut fruit into a bowl, pour orange juice over, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve cold in individual cups. This only lasts a day or so. The orange juice keeps the apples from browning, although it can make the strawberries mushy if past a day. Freshly cut, it's addictive.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 8:21 am
I find that fruits that come into season close to each other are tasty together. But I don't think I've ever had a blend of fruit I've disliked, even when it isn't that kind of blend.

Apples/pears/grapes
Peaches/plums/berries
Etc.

While I like plain cut fruit, if I want a dressing, I'll either squeeze a lemon over it (which also keeps the apples nice), or I'll empty a can of crushed pineapple in pineapple juice over the salad.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:40 pm
relaxation wrote:
I agree as well, just don't know why the diet makes it like that.

My guidance for anti inflammatory diet (very close to SCD), was to use pure maple syrup or raw honey (not pasteurized). I plan to try this recipe with maple syrup.

relaxation

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:53 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Grapes sliced in half, Crisp apples (like gala) cut in cubes with skin on, strawberries diced, walnut pieces (about a quarter cup), and orange juice (also about a quarter cup). Quantities are to your taste, but about four apples, a pound of grapes, and a quart of strawberries should work. Cut fruit into a bowl, pour orange juice over, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve cold in individual cups. This only lasts a day or so. The orange juice keeps the apples from browning, although it can make the strawberries mushy if past a day. Freshly cut, it's addictive.
Thanks !

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 5:34 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not to offer an opinion but honey is the same as sugar and fruit is essentially fructose. Of course fruit also has fiber and other benefits in a healthy diet but honey and sugar are both empty calories and digested by the body in an identical manner.

Sugar and honey/fruit have a different molecular structure that effects digestion. If you're trying to avoid sugars altogether, yes, it makes no difference (although fruit does have nutrients which are of value). However, for the purposes of gut health and digestion, it does make a difference.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 6:12 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
Sugar and honey/fruit have a different molecular structure that effects digestion. If you're trying to avoid sugars altogether, yes, it makes no difference (although fruit does have nutrients which are of value). However, for the purposes of gut health and digestion, it does make a difference.

I thought I was quite clear that fruit has significant nutritional benefits including vitamins and minerals as well as fiber. It does have fructose but for most people that isn't an issue.

Honey is a simple sugar just like table sugar is and there is no nutritional benefit from either honey or sugar. In small quantities it is generally also not a nutritional issue for people.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 6:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
I thought I was quite clear that fruit has significant nutritional benefits including vitamins and minerals as well as fiber. It does have fructose but for most people that isn't an issue.

Honey is a simple sugar just like table sugar is and there is no nutritional benefit from either honey or sugar. In small quantities it is generally also not a nutritional issue for people.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why it would make a difference for some people. Op mentioned someone in the family is on scd, which is usually used because of gut issues.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 6:23 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why it would make a difference for some people. Op mentioned someone in the family is on scd, which is usually used because of gut issues.

OP did not indicate there was a medical reason for having honey instead of sugar when I posted.

If there is a medical reason then one would follow whatever restrictions are prescribed by your doctor.

However for most people honey, sugar, maple syrup are all the same and provide empty calories which are fine in moderation. Each of them generally have better uses as generally people don't sprinkle sugar on pancakes nor do they put honey in their coffee although they might use honey in their tea.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics