Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO Memory Foam Mattress Topper
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:17 am
I've never bought one before so I have no idea what I'm looking for, what I'm keeping away from. Any guidance or tried and true links appreciated.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:56 am
We just finished a 30 day trial period with ours.
DH is fine with it but I really did not have good quality sleep on mine.
I found it too hot and too constricting. I also found that the topper discouraged me from moving around and changing my sleep position during the night. I inevitably woke up on my back even though I usually start off on my back and turn over to my sides during the night. The topper was immobilizing.
It also dried me out. I would wake up with a dry mouth in the middle of the night - again something that is not typical for me.
I'm back to square one now. I have to find a different solution for our overly firm mattresses that we bought a year ago. Overall I like the firmness but there's just not enough cushioning for me. I need a bit more, but I don't want something that I will sink into. That's why we avoided buying mattresses with a built in memory foam comfort layer in the first place.
I suppose I could try out a latex topper. They are harder to find here in Israel. Memory foam is kind of the standard.
My advice to you is to try to find a company that will let you try out the topper for a period of time to see if you like it.
If you live in Israel I can post the link to the ones we bought.
BTW, not all memory foam is the same.
We got our girls new mattresses last summer with built in memory foam comfort layers and they are less 'squishy' than the toppers that we just bought for our beds.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:04 am
Etky, your post describes exactly my situation (posted in another thread). My mattress is great that it's so firm but doesn't hold me. Do you think the problem with your topper is the type of memory foam or that it's memory foam altogether? Maybe it was too high?

etky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Etky, your post describes exactly my situation (posted in another thread). My mattress is great that it's so firm but doesn't hold me. Do you think the problem with your topper is the type of memory foam or that it's memory foam altogether? Maybe it was too high?

Not sure if there are different types. It's hard to get that information here.
The height is 5 cm. From the research I did that is considered pretty much standard here. There is a more deluxe version that is thicker. I can't even imagine that Surprised

etky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Meaning that there is like no 'give' at all?
That's how mine is. If there were only a drop more give it would make such a difference.
Ours supposedly have an internal latex 'comfort layer' but I'm hard pressed to feel it Rolling Eyes
I wake up with my body aching .

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:42 am
etky wrote:
Meaning that there is like no 'give' at all?
That's how mine is. If there were only a drop more give it would make such a difference.
Ours supposedly have an internal latex 'comfort layer' but I'm hard pressed to feel it Rolling Eyes
I wake up with my body aching .

There's no "give" it's like sleeping on the floor, a tiny bit more comfortable than that. DH loves it but I wake up with lower back pain. The mattress is a year old and wasn't cheap.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There's no "give" it's like sleeping on the floor, a tiny bit more comfortable than that. DH loves it but I wake up with lower back pain. The mattress is a year old and wasn't cheap.

Same. We got ours a year and a half ago.
I did so much research and we shlepped to so many stores.
And I still didn't choose correctly.
It's very frustrating.

chick567

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:56 am
You’re better off with a firm mattress and a soft topper.
My mistake was buying a too soft mattress. It was a semifirm but after a year softened so much I had so much back pain. I found a firm mattress topper to firm it up and it worked.

Look for a topper on Amazon and read reviews. Even if you buy a new topper every couple years it’s much cheaper than a whole new mattress.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 2:42 pm
We also tried out so many mattresses and spoke to the salespeople and to others who bought mattresses right before us in order to make sure we buy right.

Thanks for the tip of checking out latex toppers. My googling led me to SleepOnLatex. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or really anything? I'll literally take any piece of advice or guidance on this because I'm at wits end. Every morning I wake up with back pain which I did not have with my old lumpy mattress.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 2:46 pm
chick567 wrote:
You’re better off with a firm mattress and a soft topper.
My mistake was buying a too soft mattress. It was a semifirm but after a year softened so much I had so much back pain. I found a firm mattress topper to firm it up and it worked.

Look for a topper on Amazon and read reviews. Even if you buy a new topper every couple years it’s much cheaper than a whole new mattress.

When I expressed concern in the store that the mattress feels too firm, everyone said rather too firm than too soft because the mattress softens over time. I already gave it a year and yes it did soften a tiny bit but nowhere near what I need. Also it's a different kind of softness. The plush mattresses I tried out, the whole thing went in under me. What I need is something that holds me strong but also supports my body. I like the firmness of a mattress that doesn't create wide indentations or deep valleys every time a person moves on it, but I also need to have something holding me, like if I lie on my side, I shouldn't need to tuck a pillow behind my back to prevent me from rolling over.

I'm looking on Amazon and it's overwhelming. I would appreciate any links or companies or types to look at or what to keep away from.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I expressed concern in the store that the mattress feels too firm, everyone said rather too firm than too soft because the mattress softens over time. I already gave it a year and yes it did soften a tiny bit but nowhere near what I need. Also it's a different kind of softness. The plush mattresses I tried out, the whole thing went in under me. What I need is something that holds me strong but also supports my body. I like the firmness of a mattress that doesn't create wide indentations or deep valleys every time a person moves on it, but I also need to have something holding me, like if I lie on my side, I shouldn't need to tuck a pillow behind my back to prevent me from rolling over.

I'm looking on Amazon and it's overwhelming. I would appreciate any links or companies or types to look at or what to keep away from.

Is your dh any heavier than you? My dh is heavier and so his mattress softened up more than mine. We switched at one point.

ETA: You're probably better off with a pillow top which is like having a down like extra pillow or blanket under you. Buy something with free returns, try and return if needed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Is your dh any heavier than you? My dh is heavier and so his mattress softened up more than mine. We switched at one point.

ETA: You're probably better off with a pillow top which is like having a down like extra pillow or blanket under you. Buy something with free returns, try and return if needed.

For next time...

Now we're looking into mattress topper.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:46 pm
Does anyone know anything about a Puffy mattress topper? According to what I'm seeing now, it's either that or the SleepOnLatex topper.

The good news is that most mattress toppers I'm looking at online have a free trial period with free returns. But I don't want to try a million till we find the right one, it would be helpful to get targeted advice before buying. I'll take whatever info anyone has. Thank you.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For next time...

Now we're looking into mattress topper.

I meant a pillowy type of topper. I see many available on Amazon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 11:35 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I meant a pillowy type of topper. I see many available on Amazon.

Won't a pillowy type of topper be too floppy and plush? Like when I lie now on my bed with the blanket between me and the mattress. It doesn't provide support even though it's softer. I need something with good support to hold/hug me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:19 pm
Bumping for any more insight

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:12 am
I ended up buying the Puffy mattress topper and a- I wake up sweating and b- very often my back still hurts when I wake up in the morning

I like that I don't feel when DH gets up in the morning (which means it has good motion isolation) but otherwise, it sinks in under me without really holding me.

I am going to return this topper, but now I need a new one.
I'm not sure anymore what I need, but I'm posting here in case anyone can help me.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:14 am
amother OP wrote:
I ended up buying the Puffy mattress topper and a- I wake up sweating and b- very often my back still hurts when I wake up in the morning

I like that I don't feel when DH gets up in the morning (which means it has good motion isolation) but otherwise, it sinks in under me without really holding me.

I am going to return this topper, but now I need a new one.
I'm not sure anymore what I need, but I'm posting here in case anyone can help me.

Post a link of what you got so we can assist you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:16 am
I got the soft option of this topper
https://puffy.com/products/puffy-topper

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:18 am
I got this for me and a few of my kids, in different sizes. Don’t know if it would help you or not.

Linenspa 2 Inch Memory Foam... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N.....share
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics