Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Mikvah w/Allowances
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:22 pm
I need to go to mikvah this week and chances are I will be in Lakewood that night for a Simcha.
I have a heter to go with my nails done (they are permanent acrylic-like) because of the Simcha .

Is there a place in Lakewood or nearby that will allow this and not make an issue for me?

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:33 pm
I've been to the one on New Hampshire with a fresh set of hard gel nails. They didn't say anything and I didn't ask. I just said no when they asked if I want to be checked.

This is their number 7323701666

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:35 pm
This is so interesting.

There's a sign on one of the biggest Mikvah doors stating that no rav allows going to the Mikvah with nail polish on. I took a picture for my husband, a bit perplexed, because we've gotten a psak from our rav that gel polish, that doesn't chip, is fine. We were both struck by the language, so definitive, that NO Rabbi allows polish. Who decided that no Rav allows polish? It got me a bit upset. Why are we making an already challenging mitzvah more difficult for ourselves?

Good luck finding one, op!

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:36 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
I've been to the one on New Hampshire with a fresh set of hard gel nails. They didn't say anything and I didn't ask. I just said no when they asked if I want to be checked.

This is their number 7323701666

That's the one with the sign on the door. Go figure!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:10 pm
DVOM wrote:
Yes I thought that mikvah is particular about it. But I would call and say I’m from out of town and following my own rabbi (yes, rabbi, not rav, sound very out of towny and not yeshivish) and make sure they will be respectful of what your rav told you.

Or I would go to somewhere else like westgate which in my experience is very chill and minds their own business.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:25 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Yes I thought that mikvah is particular about it. But I would call and say I’m from out of town and following my own rabbi (yes, rabbi, not rav, sound very out of towny and not yeshivish) and make sure they will be respectful of what your rav told you.

Or I would go to somewhere else like westgate which in my experience is very chill and minds their own business.

I think a lot of this is attendant specific.

Westgate attendants check, and gave me issues for telling them I didn't want them to. In Madison and NH they ask if you want to be checked.

I think anywhere, even if they do check, you can just tell them that you appreciate their input but your rabbi told you this is okay.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I think a lot of this is attendant specific.

Westgate attendants check, and gave me issues for telling them I didn't want them to. In Madison and NH they ask if you want to be checked.

I think anywhere, even if they do check, you can just tell them that you appreciate their input but your rabbi told you this is okay.
To be fair I haven’t been to NH since Covid. They always insisted on checking when I went. So I guess things have changed.

But my experience was that NH was very insistent that you follow their poskim.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
To be fair I haven’t been to NH since Covid. They always insisted on checking when I went. So I guess things have changed.

But my experience was that NH was very insistent that you follow their poskim.

If you haven’t been since Covid, a lot has changed! Neither checks you without your permission, and in general I have found all attendants to be so respectful and kind

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:36 pm
DVOM wrote:

Interesting. I'm glad I didn't see the sign.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:38 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
If you haven’t been since Covid, a lot has changed! Neither checks you without your permission, and in general I have found all attendants to be so respectful and kind

Possibly this.
I've only gone mid and post covid so never experienced any strictness. They are totally fine if you don't want to be checked. ML turns around completely when I go into the water and walks out of the room when I'm done dipping before I come out of water.
There's really no chance for her to see my nails unless I'm flaunting it. I've dipped twice with a fresh gel set.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 6:49 pm
Possibly this.
I've only gone mid and post covid so never experienced any strictness. They are totally fine if you don't want to be checked. ML turns around completely when I go into the water and walks out of the room when I'm done dipping before I come out of water.
There's really no chance for her to see my nails unless I'm flaunting it. I've dipped twice with a fresh gel set.
Wow so they really did a 180. Maybe I should go back.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:01 pm
I’ve been using New Hampshire since well before COVID. They always asked if I wanted to be checked and I almost always said no and they never made an issue.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:18 pm
My husband (who answers shailah) often gets this shailah. There are definitely rabbanim who are matir, and Mikvaos that allow polish. But just be clear- Mikvah with gel polish is NOT muttar. It is something that you need a heter for. You can get a heter for it, but It is NOT something that should be done lichatchilah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:51 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
My husband (who answers shailah) often gets this shailah. There are definitely rabbanim who are matir, and Mikvaos that allow polish. But just be clear- Mikvah with gel polish is NOT muttar. It is something that you need a heter for. You can get a heter for it, but It is NOT something that should be done lichatchilah.

And like I said (and lets assume dlkz everyone who has done also) I asked. It happens to be my rav always tells me when I ask that there is no issue (according to him) if it is semi-/ permanent and lasts more than 1-2 weeks without chipping so long as it’s fresh.

The issue is when mikvaot don’t want you to dip even if your rav allows it. And I have had this issue before hence asking for a place that would allow it.

I tried calling the New Hampshire one there is no one answering phones. I guess I can always just go and hope for the best. Confused

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And like I said (and lets assume dlkz everyone who has done also) I asked. It happens to be my rav always tells me when I ask that there is no issue (according to him) if it is semi-/ permanent and lasts more than 1-2 weeks without chipping so long as it’s fresh.

The issue is when mikvaot don’t want you to dip even if your rav allows it. And I have had this issue before hence asking for a place that would allow it.

I tried calling the New Hampshire one there is no one answering phones. I guess I can always just go and hope for the best. Confused
Call Madison. They have the same policies.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:59 pm

That’s your husband’s personal extrapolation of Halacha.

Not the fact.

My Rov (from E”Y, wears a streimel, extremely learned and respected) told me:

Bnos Yisrael HaChareidos are careful to remove polish, but I can dip with freshly polished nails that will last a while.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:53 pm

Is your husband aware of the differences between gel and hard gel? 2 different things.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 10:17 pm
Just want to mention because you're from out of town that you do need an appointment in Lakewood. You need to call 3 days before in the morning to get an appointment. If you having trouble getting appointment, you can post here and people will give you ideas.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:33 pm
Is your husband aware of the differences between gel and hard gel? 2 different things.

Yes. Thank you.
He has been able to give a heter when necessary. But it is always better to plan the manicure for after- and not for before. Of course, Sometimes a person has a Simcha and can’t do it after, but to plan it in a way that “I will just get a heter” just isn’t the way to do it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 1:06 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Just want to mention because you're from out of town that you do need an appointment in Lakewood. You need to call 3 days before in the morning to get an appointment. If you having trouble getting appointment, you can post here and people will give you ideas.

Firstly this! Imp to know if you're from oot.
Also possibly Deal Mikva is an option
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries