Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Motherhood- how has it changed you?
1  2  Next

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 5:25 pm
While in the chat room with some fo the ladies on this forum, we discussed this topic. How has motherhood changed you?

Some of the things we said were that we now appreciate the little things.
Like sleep, a peaceful shower, what sleep deprevation really means, that you can survive on little sleep and more that I can think of.

So ladies how has motherhood changed you?

gryp

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 5:33 pm
what a great question.
ill have to think a while for my answer but I know for sure that my patience has grown tremendously.
and kids teach me so much with their very different perspective of the world.

deedee

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 5:37 pm
to be that much more careful with what I do and say as my daughter is always copying and repeating!

Aish

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 5:44 pm
Where do we begin here???
The things you mentioned are things that you learn more about yourself when you become a mother. But those are not innate changes.
I think motherhood, for a lot of woman, brings to the surface many things that they have been through. And those things were not as relevant before they had kids. When you have children you are, in some essential way, reliving your own childhood. Except this time around your "putting it on" to someone else. It’s the most phycologecly intense experience there is in the whole world. I do not believe anything can match it. No career or what have you.
Mother hood basically forces you to look issues in the eye and demand that you deal with them. And if not dealt with properly, it can have terrible consequence.
There is a kabalistic source that explains, why do we say children are a brocha? In the midst of raising a bunch of young ones many mothers say their on the verge of insanity. And how in the world could this be a brocha? The answer, quit interesting and insightful, is, THAT CHILDREN ARE A BROCHA BECAUSE THEY ARE OUR TIKUN . and children, if were aware of it, force us to work on our selves. And that’s why they are our tikun.
I cant demand anything of my child that I myself don’t do. Therefore I MUST do it.
So how has motherhood changed you?
HOW HAS IT NOT??

yehudis

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 6:49 pm
Wow, Aish, that's so true!

happymom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 6:55 pm
Having my daughter has braught so much joy to my life!!!!!!!!!! I also agree that being a mother forces you to work on yourself, I have grown in many ways from this.

Last edited by happymom on Sun, Nov 20 2005, 4:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

Tefila

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 6:56 pm
I have b/come way more confidant that I'll say 8) What I will sometimes say to protect my kids is sometimes beyond chutzpah shock ,

Last edited by Tefila on Sat, Nov 19 2005, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

raizy

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 7:48 pm
I learned to speak up for my kids that something I would never have done for myselve. but I dont want my kids to get trampled in school . (bye teachers) if some teachers think they can get away with murder they do it. if they know that the parent will be on top of them they usally lay off the child.....

wonderer

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 8:34 pm
I became a better person

hindyandrafi

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 8:06 am
I definately grew up... and became more responsible...

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 8:20 am
Quote:
I learned to speak up for my kids that something I would never have done for myselve.

Raizy- me too. when someone I would generally trust with my kids would do something that made me very nervous, ie. throw the baby in the air too high, I realized I better speak up- im the mother! no one else will speak up for my kids, its up to me!
and the same when they need disciplining- its up to me. they only have one mother (b"h) and its my responsibility no matter how hard it is.

buba123

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 9:45 am
I'm much slower to judge ppl. now. I know what it is to be sleep-deprived and existing on auto-pilot and coffee (cappucino for me Wink )

hadasa

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 10:23 am
First of all I learned to like kids Very Happy . I'm the youngest in my family, so I had no experience whatsoever, and young children were this distant, threatening species to me. My friends who knew me then can't get over the fact that I have KA"H a bunch of kids, and I'm teaching pre-school age, too!

Second of all - responsibility. I can't sleep in until 11:00, because then all these people will go hungry, unclothed and turn the house upside-down. If the baby's crying I can't just ignore it - nobody but me can feed her. It's not like when I would get lost in a book and forget to do my homework - then nobody suffered for it but me.

queen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 4:46 pm
buba123 wrote:
I'm much slower to judge ppl. now.

same here!!!!

I have found myself much more in tune for what's important in life...
and learned (from my own experience) how help is so appreciated after birth- that I'll be more aware to help others out.

I also find myself more relaxed, and less "high-strung." I used to be busy with a ton of stuff, in touch with a lot of people.... now, it's my family and husband that comes first. everything else can wait.

(I also appreciate a relaxed shower... who'd think this would become a treat?!?!)

raizy

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 7:03 pm
that my treat that I take every night. I just go and stand in the shower. with hot water pouring down at me. it rejuvanates me every night. and then I have kach to deal with life.

tzivi

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 7:11 pm
I have learned how to appreciate a hot cup of coffee! Very Happy

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 7:25 pm
or cocoa, yummy!!

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 10:04 pm
this sounds really superficial, but I used to go out shopping for myself pretty frequently, and I would always look online for good deals on clothes for me and dh. now, the first thing I think of is dd and what she can use. I always think of things she would like and I always look at the children's section first. I learned to put someone else's needs before mine, which I was never able to do before (as bad as that may sound.)

I also learned to have a lot of patience. and I learned how to love in a more powerful way than I had ever felt before.

technic

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 12:30 am
nicole nothing abt ur post needs apology - it sounds as tho uve really GOT motherhood Yes

Frumom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 12:10 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I learned to put someone else's needs before mine

I also learned to have a lot of patience.

Ditto to both. Being a mother is the most incredible thing, I'm loving it everyday. I know it'll get harder, but I love it with a full heart.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational