Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Oros BY Highschool
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:14 pm
I know there are a number of threads on this but I wanted to know more about the type of crowd currently sending there, what's their take on technology etc, how do the girls dress generally...

Tia

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:31 am
Bumping this up

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:03 am
I know several families in my neighborhood whose daughters go to Oros. All seem to be solid frum refined girls, tznius with-it types. My 9th grade DD's neighborhood friend who goes to Oros is all of the above (came from Bnos Yaakov) and is a real sweetheart with nice middos.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:47 am
I send there now.
Personally I find that there is sort of an (amazing) attitude through the school that there is no pressure. Not every girl has the same briefcase & coat, and while you'll find some high-end coats you will not find that every single girl is wearing the exact same $800 coat like you'll find in some other schools.

Officially, you sign that the girls will not have their own phone. They definitely talk to the girls in school about technology but as a parent I don't think I have been nagged or have had to sign as many papers as other schools.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 11:39 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
I send there now.
Personally I find that there is sort of an (amazing) attitude through the school that there is no pressure. Not every girl has the same briefcase & coat, and while you'll find some high-end coats you will not find that every single girl is wearing the exact same $800 coat like you'll find in some other schools.

Officially, you sign that the girls will not have their own phone. They definitely talk to the girls in school about technology but as a parent I don't think I have been nagged or have had to sign as many papers as other schools.

Same here on the clothes pressure.

I would say re the mothers, a nice number have flip phones and a nice number have smartphones.

My daughters love Oros!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Same here on the clothes pressure.

I would say re the mothers, a nice number have flip phones and a nice number have smartphones.

My daughters love Oros!

If a nice number has smartphones, I'm assuming then it's not very yeshivish? I was afraid it might be too yeshivish thats why I'm asking...

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 5:54 pm
Yikes are there really schools where every girl has to have an $800 coat ?? I hope they warn you on the application lol. Entering this parsha soon .. Oros actually sounds so nice !

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
If a nice number has smartphones, I'm assuming then it's not very yeshivish? I was afraid it might be too yeshivish thats why I'm asking...

It's a mix. The hanhalla is definitely very yeshivish. I hv a smartphone. Some dont. But we all follow the rules, or try to.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:32 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
It's a mix. The hanhalla is definitely very yeshivish. I hv a smartphone. Some dont. But we all follow the rules, or try to.

Can you give some examples of rules, just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Can you give some examples of rules, just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

Mostly for the girls.
No individual phones (many girls hv access to extra family phones, tho).
No driving until end of 12th.
They don't like the girls to be going away to places like Florida midwinter but I think it's more for them not to be going by themselves because we went and we saw a lot of girls there with family. If you do go away it's sort of kept quiet because they don't want people talking about it.
Certain dress codes like no combat boots in school. Nothing too dramatic, though.

Some schools make the girls sign that they won't even go near a computer which they don't here.
I don't think they have any stricter rules than most schools. There are some schools that have less rules like Chedvas.

keym

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 5:12 am
I'm an Oros Parent. I'm very very happy.
Personally, my family is fairly yeshivish but I find Oros to be a nice mix of Lakewood - more yeshivish, less yeshivish, all growing.
High school is less focus on the parents and more on the girls.
A previous poster said the girls aren't supposed to have their own phones, definitely not their own internet and not supposed to travel on their own for midwinter.

In general I find with tznius an emphasis on talking to the girls rather than unilaterally making rules- sensitivities, styles, hair length, technology use, etc.

Academically, they're fairly challenging but I find it's less of an identity to the girls than other schools. There's no shame in taking modified tests, GO girls can be 80s students with great middos, the pressure to get perfect grades is less than other schools.

They do have a lot of rules regarding attendance, compliance, etc. They take the school, education part fairly seriously.

As a previous poster said, girls have peer pressure to look nice and presentable, but that's it. Girls proudly wear their $40 coats and $30 schoolbags and $30 shoes from the mall. Of course there are girls with $800 coats, but it doesn't make everyone NEED to buy that coat or even the $200 imitation.
My daughter just feels pressure to buy coats, bags, clothes that look "nice" so she can get compliments, but it doesn't matter if she got it on SheIn, Amazon, Macy's or a frum store.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:37 am
How many classes per grade and how many girls per class ?

keym

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:38 am
amother Salmon wrote:
How many classes per grade and how many girls per class ?

4 classes per grade.
30-35 girls per class. Average

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:46 am
My daughter is in oros and I’m thrilled. It has a name as being intense and pressured but it’s really not. Theres so much fun and excitement. Always something going on and the teachers are amazing experienced dynamic teachers. It’s a nice mix of girls from every school and my daughter has the nicest friends. I love the crowd regular normal frum families.

They were busy with the play and now purim chagiga. There’s always extra curricular stuff a Yom iyun, Rosh Chodesh breakfast, something every week. They do have rules and compliance can’t just skip class or come late Mrs Epstein is strict but mrs Oratz is warm and loving so it balances out.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:53 am
Are they finally moving to Jackson and if yes where ? Also what do you mean by it has a name for being intense and pressured, as in strong academics?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:58 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Are they finally moving to Jackson and if yes where ? Also what do you mean by it has a name for being intense and pressured, as in strong academics?

It’s known to be academic pressured but it’s really not . It’s just the hype. It’s a healthy balance of work and fun. And no peer pressure any briefcase, shoes, coat is fine

keym

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:05 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
It’s known to be academic pressured but it’s really not . It’s just the hype. It’s a healthy balance of work and fun. And no peer pressure any briefcase, shoes, coat is fine

I find that it's a good balance of academic challenges and pressure for the intelligent and intellectual students, yet lower pressure with tracked classes and modifications for the less academic students without a stigma.

I know my daughter's friends in other schools are embarrassed to share that they get a modified chumash test (in English) or something.
In Oros, it's just part of life. "She takes modified chumash, so I'll study halacha with her, she's in lower math so I'll study history with her." No drama.
And definitely no impediment to getting a "good job". There's no attitude that the main parts in play or GO girls need to maintain a 95 average or they're not eligible.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:09 am
amother Salmon wrote:

Probably not for a while. They just finished with court so they need the permits and then to start building..

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:29 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
My daughter is in oros and I’m thrilled. It has a name as being intense and pressured but it’s really not. Theres so much fun and excitement. Always something going on and the teachers are amazing experienced dynamic teachers. It’s a nice mix of girls from every school and my daughter has the nicest friends. I love the crowd regular normal frum families.

They were busy with the play and now purim chagiga. There’s always extra curricular stuff a Yom iyun, Rosh Chodesh breakfast, something every week. They do have rules and compliance can’t just skip class or come late Mrs Epstein is strict but mrs Oratz is warm and loving so it balances out.

I think the name of being intense and pressured comes from earlier days. I'm a parent of daughters in their mid-20's, and didn't send my daughters there (partly) because of this reputation (which I heard about directly from Oros parents at the time.) I think when they were newer they were know for this, and it seems they have found their balance (which is a great thing). They sound like a wonderful school choice!

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:50 am
Where in Jackson are they eventually planning to move? Also how is the bussing situation in Oros for out of Lakewood students?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries