Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How do I gain weight in a healthy way?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 3:06 pm
Okay, please, nobody bash me. Nobody say "gee, I wish I were you," etc. People keep making comments to me about how thin I am. I just don't like eating. I find the whole thing boring, repetitive, and just not enjoyable...hey, the thinnest is the winner, right? Wrong! But, I do want to be healthy. Has anyone here gained weight in a healthy manner? I've gained in order to get pregnant, but now I am not in that matzav right now, so the only reason to gain right now would be to just be healthier. Any tips would be most helpful. and please don't say "pass the cake," or something like that.

Thank you.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 3:11 pm
You should go to sparkpeople.com or make sure that you eat according to the food pyramid and that you are eating enough.

Are you bored of food even when the food is exciting? Would you be more interested if you bought some interesting cookbooks?

Do you eat the correct amount of calories daily? You definitely shouldn't overindulge in calorie laden, fattening food. You should make sure that you're eating a well-balanced menu.

Are you an unhealthy weight? Are you underweight? If you're just thin, but not underweight, and you know you're eating well, there's probably no reason to change your eating habits. If you know without a doubt that you're too thin, and you know that you eat enough, maybe you should see your GP.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 3:20 pm
While I am not in your situation, my dh is. Here are a bunch of eitzahs we've gotten from nutriitonists, doctors, naturalists, etc...

1. EAt more, nothigher fat/calories - this is important b/c like you said you want to be healthy and if all you eat is cake and butter, etc... then ch'v'sh the cholesterol and fat will be treated by your body just like anyone elses!

2. I LOVE food - I am a real foodie, but dh is just like you described, he could care less about eating to him he did it out of necessity not desire. We began to learn about food, cooking, etc... and seeing how the food on his plate got there gave him a greater appreciation for what he was eating and he thus began learning to enjoy his food.

3. When you do find something you enjoy, at some one's house, a restaurant, etc... get the recipe!!! I now have about 12 meals that dh really likes and when I see he is in one of his eating slumps, I pull out a few of these and they wet his appetite again!

4. Eat frequently, if nothing else your body will become accustomed to getting 'refueled' at these intervals and as a result you will be hungrier more often resulting in eating more throughout the day.

5. When it comes to little things (skin on chicken, butter on toast, dressing on salad) - accept them and enjoy them. Have that extra peice of challah or meat if you want

6. (this one did not come from dh!) since you siad you were ab;e to gain to get pregnant how about using any of those methods?

7. dh takes after mil who at one point weighed less than 100lbs. Her doctor told her to eat like an infant, moderate amounts and frequently. To choose high, healhty calorie choices like protein shakes and protein bars when she just needed to boost the intake and to avoid excessive exercise (meaning ensure daily intake > than daily output of calories). Building muscle may also be beneficial as it requires more intake, bt you should probablyavoid aerobic exercise.

8. Speak with a nutritionist or naturalist who has experience with this area and get a consult

Please bear in mind all I have written is presuming you do not have an underlying medical condition or eating disorder. If either of those are in the picture than I suggest anything you do be under the guidance of a proper professional!

Oh ya, it also takes a long time to put on weight that stays! in 5 years dh has put on, and kept about 6-8 lbs only. But what he has gained is healhty and more permanent than gorging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise