Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is increased appetite expected with HGH injections?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:41 pm
Ds has been on skytrofa for 1 1/2 weeks so far. He’s taken two doses. Almost immediately he’s become ravenously hungry. His appetite wasn’t the best previously. Now he’s eating at least four times as much as he used to.
As a Jewish mother it makes me very happy.
But I’m wondering if this is normal and where all these calories are going? Growth won’t happen right away, right?
ETA I tried googling but there isn’t much info out there about this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 11:07 pm
My child just started taking injections. Did your child have a blood sugar level drawn? Growth hormones can cause elevated blood sugar which could explain the huge appetite. Any other symptoms such as increased thirst amd needing to use the bathroom more frequently? These are all signs of elevated sugars. Blood glucose level should be drawn within the first week of injections.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 11:40 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
My child just started taking injections. Did your child have a blood sugar level drawn? Growth hormones can cause elevated blood sugar which could explain the huge appetite. Any other symptoms such as increased thirst amd needing to use the bathroom more frequently? These are all signs of elevated sugars. Blood glucose level should be drawn within the first week of injections.

No he hasn’t seen the doctor since starting on the injections and doc said he didn’t need to. I happen to have a blood glucose monitor at home. No increased thirst or urination. Only hunger, and he’s eating mostly protein and fat when he’s hungry.
Should I check his levels at home? What is the range of normal for a child?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 11:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
No he hasn’t seen the doctor since starting on the injections and doc said he didn’t need to. I happen to have a blood glucose monitor at home. No increased thirst or urination. Only hunger, and he’s eating mostly protein and fat when he’s hungry.
Should I check his levels at home? What is the range of normal for a child?

Once we received our first shipment of growth hormones, the Dr ordered a blood glucose to be drawn within the first week and thyroid levels to be drawn at 4 weeks. Dr said that's standard bloodwork when starting HGH so I'm surprised that your kids endo didn't order those labs. It can't hurt to get a glucose level and call your doctor in any case. Kids glucose range, I believe, is the same as adults and I'd only worry if it was significantly elevated.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:09 am
I just contacted their emergency line and the endo on call says it’s not concerning. She says she treats kids with diabetes all the time and increased appetite isn’t a symptom of elevated blood sugar, only excessive thirst and urination.
She was surprised however that this happened so quickly after starting as usually growth takes time. But she still thinks it’s a good sign. She said she will leave a note with his doctor.
I’m interested to know if anyone had this because this is quite extreme. He’s eating 4-5 times the amount he ate before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics