Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Separate fridge and freezer or one combined

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:02 am
We are redoing our kitchen and the designer asked me if want a full fridge and a full freezer side by side or the standard piece that is half fridge half freezer.

I bulk order food before yom tov to last me till the next one so I already have a second freezer and its an art to get it closed after the orders come.

I have five kids and the oldest is ten and I pride myself in keeping a pretty empty refrigerator. I try to cook in amounts to not have leftovers and by the end of the week my fridge is pretty bare. But my kids are young and I realize I will need to keep the fridge more stocked
As they get older. I make yom tov and even had my sister with her four kids pesach and did not run out of refrigerator space.

Would you get a full fridge and freezer in the kitchen or leave ae is with one standard unit in the kitchen
And the second freezer in the garage?

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:04 am
I redid my kitchen and have 2 extra freezers so in my kitchen I did a 2 of fridge on tops and freezer on bottom I’m loving it. It’s a one door so they meet on center and looks like a French door. Remember now kids are young adult children eat way more

nicole81

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:06 am
I tend to fill up my standard freezer and my bulk one. If I had the space and was doing a redesign, id definitely get 2 separate pieces, plus an upright deep freezer for the basement or garage.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:13 am
Yes!!! Plan ahead!!!! Full fridge and full freezer!!!! Do not consider skipping it@!@@ biggest mistake not to

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:27 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Yes!!! Plan ahead!!!! Full fridge and full freezer!!!! Do not consider skipping it@!@@ biggest mistake not to

ITA
Kids grow get married
You have five kids now=after marriage it's ten adults.
Unless your kitchen is really tiny and full size appliances will be at the expense of valuable counter space.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:40 am
I LOVE my full fridge and freezer!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:58 am
At a second thought I would say it depends if your kitchen is S/M/L/XL
Is it an extra sink vs freezer space? Freezer space vs pesach kitchen/sink? Freezer vs storage space?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:13 am
I already have a second freezer and it is very well used. My question is do I need a full size refrigerator or will a standard fridge/freeze be fine and the second freezer can remain in the garage.

With five kids age ten and under my refrigerator is never full but I know things change as kids get older...

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:
I already have a second freezer and it is very well used. My question is do I need a full size refrigerator or will a standard fridge/freeze be fine and the second freezer can remain in the garage.

With five kids age ten and under my refrigerator is never full but I know things change as kids get older...

You will not regret a single fridge you will bless it!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:02 pm
we really love our separate full fridge and separate big freezer. plenty of room!

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:14 pm
I have a full fridge and full freezer and I love it! go for it you will be so happy. I remember growing up my mom A"H always had to find room to fit something else in. With my full fridge and freezer it makes life so much easier. Although somehow it's always full Smile

My full freezer lets me shop in bulk so I can buy on sale for the month at a supermarket that is further away and then shop local for perishables like fruits and veggies. It makes my life so much easier.

lovemykid!

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:08 pm
For everyone that posted in this thread that they love their full size fridge and freezer (2 units) can you please post which brand you have? I’ve heard really bad feedback on the Fridgedaire (6k) but can not afford the $15k models. Is there anything else I’m missing?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:13 pm
I have the frigidaire full size fridge and freezer for about 6 years. I love the size of it. I don't mind when it's somewhat empty midweek, it gets full again in time for shabbos.
In addition to that I have another smaller fridge/freezer and a full size freezer which are running all year.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:26 pm
Alternatively, you can put 2 regular refrigerator-freezers next to each other (with a few inches of filler for ventilation in between). 2 standard refrigerators is a less expensive solution than getting an all-fridge and an all-freezer, and I have designed this for more than one kitchen client.

But it also depends on the size of your kitchen —a smaller kitchen simply will not have enough room for 2 big units.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:33 pm
I have the fridgidaire full freezer and fridge models. I have for about 9 years. One thing to realize that they are not as big as they seem because they are counter depth not deeper. A non counter depth fridge/freezer is like double as deep almost. I have another fridge/freezer downstairs.

I love the look of it and it works fine though.

I have in an older model this but bought for wayyyy cheaper back then. I think I paid $2200 in all with the trim kit.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-.....w_wcB

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:42 pm
I did a remodel 2 years ago
I got a French door refrigerator on top, freezer drawer on bottom.
I got a big freezer in garage.

I have no regrets.

Most of the time my fridge is less than 50% full.

Before a 3 day Yom Tov, fridge is tight, by day 2 its comfortable.

You need to know your cooking style. I cook fresh or bulk. Bulk I have enough freezer space. Fresh I cook enough for the meal and rarely refrigerate leftovers.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:50 pm
I have the Frigidaire for 1.5 years and it’s been giving me issues since a few months in
I wouldn’t reccomend it at this point

lovemykid!

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 5:20 pm
Thanks everyone. Does anyone have the fisher and paykel model? It’s fridge on top freezer on bottom but you can put two of them side by side for built in look. Same price as Fridgedaire but not as common. Not sure if quality is better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen