Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
I want to back up my pictures.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:19 am
I have tons of pictures on my computer, and I constantly have the fear that something will happen to my computer and I will lose my pics (C"V!) whats the best way to do this? should I put them all on cds? I dont want to use photo storing site, cuz I have like a few thousand pics and it will take years to upload. any ideas would be helpful. thanks!

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:24 pm
you can buy a portable hard drive which plugs into your usb port and then you copy the pictures over to that, and then you can remove the drive, if you want to, and put it in a safe or a safer place. Its not a cd which you can't write back onto, and you can edit and resave onto it.

They cost around $100 - $150 and its well worth it.

I just got one, and copied everything -- all docs and "my pictures" folder and then deleted them from my computer, cos it was running too slow, and come to find out last night that I deleted the "my pictures" folder because I thought I'd saved it separately. I didn't.

Close disaster, except for the fact taht we did a back up a year ago and I had that, and have not used the 'my pictures' folder that often since.

I hope I didn't lose anything valuable.

But make copies onto the portable hard drive and save it somewhere heat and fire proof and on a different location, if you can, than your home. (fire proof).

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:47 pm
How big is it? is it a box or just a small memory piece?

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:38 pm
Physically, it is the size of a paper back book.

I am NOT endorsing this one, but it came up with my first search:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-.....Y2PLQ

Some computers don't have that many gigabites on them, and you can back up your WHOLE computer and if you wqanted to transport to say another office and plug it in and have access to your own stuff, there you are!!

So, this is a 250 gb, but you can get them that hold less, but you'll be putting pictures on here for the rest of your life and probably not fill it, if you get that one!!

(I googled "portable hard drive")

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:42 pm
I would at least put the pics on a cd or dvd right away. Eventually you can get an external HD, but you can put the pics onto a cd right now.

I have an external HD and it's very small, about the size of a deck of cards, it only holds about 80 gb, but I needed it to be very portable.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:21 am
If you don't want to buy a hard drive.
use photobucket, it's free. and yes it takes time to upload, so maybe do one subject a day, like choose the pictures of your bebe one day, and the next day family pics. whatever, and with photobucket, you can now use the fast uploader, and u can do other things while it's uploading.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:40 am
I back up my photos and digital videos on CDs (I'd do it to DVD but don't have a writer).

I also upload photos on a regular basis to Photobucket because it's an easy way to share photos of the kids with the rest of my family. Whenever I upload new photos or videos (whether it's 1 or 30), I email the family with the link. This way I don't have to limit how many photos I send, I don't have to worry about overloading someone's Inbox and I don't get emails of "I can't open them".

You can also make albums private and password protected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art