Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Finances of large families. Explain
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Green wrote:
If both parents are in chinuch or kollel and chinuch with a lot of kids, they are doing better than many other frum families because they are getting all the government programs plus the Jewish programs. That’s why none of them seem to understand where the money comes from.

It’s the average sized middle class families that have to struggle and count every penny.

But how much do government programs actually cover? They fully pay the bills?

Anyone know what exactly government welfare pays for?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:03 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
If both parents are teachers then they're not paying tuition.
Rebbeim get assistance for Yom tov like pesach

Not true in all schools. As a parent working in a school out of state and my husband working there too, we pay tuition

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
But how much do government programs actually cover? They fully pay the bills?

Anyone know what exactly government welfare pays for?

They don't cover all the bills, but if you are getting section 8, WIC, food stamps, HEAP, and medicaid you have a pretty good financial basis.

You don't have to pay for rent, food, (some) utilities, dental or healthcare. That's the bulk of the budget for many families.

That means that all of your income, however low it is, goes to reduced tuition, transportation, clothing, and household expenses. That's a lot of flexibility. Plus you get a nice tax refund at the end of the year.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
They don't cover all the bills, but if you are getting section 8, WIC, food stamps, HEAP, and medicaid you have a pretty good financial basis.

You don't have to pay for rent, food, (some) utilities, dental or healthcare. That's the bulk of the budget for many families.

That means that all of your income, however low it is, goes to reduced tuition, transportation, clothing, and household expenses. That's a lot of flexibility. Plus you get a nice tax refund at the end of the year.

You forgot braces, sleepaway camp, and so many other expenses.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:35 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:

Yes , bh we lived Like that for a while. Much much easier life

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
You forgot braces, sleepaway camp, and so many other expenses.

WADR, both braces and sleepaway camp are luxuries.

If the braces are medically needed they will be covered. If they are cosmetic they will not.

But even full price, braces are cheaper than food for a few months.

mrsnistar

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 3:56 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
If both parents are teachers then they're not paying tuition.
Rebbeim get assistance for Yom tov like pesach

That's not true. Lots of schools don't give free tuition to their staff! Some give for one child only, and some none.
And anyway, even if a woman teaches in an elementary and so does her husband, what about mesivta, high school and morahs?
That isn't how it works...

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 9:04 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:

You can't get section 8 everywhere. (If someone knows how to get it in Monsey please let me know!!)

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can hardly get by making 80k..... and I have just 3 kids.

Why do many people WANT so many kids with the kind of salary that they make?

I just don't understand how someone could want to have that many kids when they make hardly enough money to cover all their bills?
Is there something I am miss/not understanding?!

Well, hopefully your salary will go up as you and your husband advance in your fields. Iyh with both parents working you'll be making a lot more than 80k a few years down the line.

As for people in kollel and chinuch.... it's interesting how it works out for so many even though it doesn't seem to make sense. There are so many programs and tax benefits that are seemingly tailor made for kollel and chinuch. Chs in Lakewood is one example- it's almost impossible to qualify unless the husband is in kollel. There are tax laws that benefit them... many get family help, some have spouses that have "regular" jobs which brings in enough income for the family to live on.

The Lakewood Voice had a column about different peoples finances and how they manage, and as I was reading about one family and it struck me that the father in kollel was basically making the same amount as my husband is (working a regular job). Between his kollel check, tutoring, parsonage, etc... while my husband has very high commuting expenses, we pay huge copays on medical and dental, etc... it seems that this family was actually coming out ahead of us financially even though the father was in kollel and the mother was a Morah. Quite fascinating- and quite humbling.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 9:19 pm
Dp

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:41 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

It's not that simple. Section 8 is very difficult to get. As for the others, yes it's a huge help but it does not cover all the food, utilities, or dr visits.
The flexibility is not so much there. Tuition is through the roof even reduced. Clothing for growing children adds up quickly. A car is a money eater. Household expenses? Diapers, repairmen, broken appliances and furniture, extra money kids end up needing for trips, school parties, phones, etc.
Besides everything has gone up in price. A basic mattress, for example, used to be affordable, not anymore. Shoes, the good brands have doubled or tripled. Supplies for home renovations or appliance parts as well. And on and on.

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:42 am
The simple answer is tzedaka organizations.
Most large families in klei kodesh I know rely on them to finish the year.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 5:09 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
It's not that simple. Section 8 is very difficult to get. As for the others, yes it's a huge help but it does not cover all the food, utilities, or dr visits.
The flexibility is not so much there. Tuition is through the roof even reduced. Clothing for growing children adds up quickly. A car is a money eater. Household expenses? Diapers, repairmen, broken appliances and furniture, extra money kids end up needing for trips, school parties, phones, etc.
Besides everything has gone up in price. A basic mattress, for example, used to be affordable, not anymore. Shoes, the good brands have doubled or tripled. Supplies for home renovations or appliance parts as well. And on and on.

Exactly!

So what is the secret to how these families who both parent's are in are in chinuch (or who's husband is learning in Kollel and the wife is teaching) get by??!!

I know these are amazing erliche families who wouldn't cheat and do false loopholes to get more government welfare than they qualify for...

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 5:25 pm
The secret is that people hustle and work side and night jobs and end up making the same amount as they would as a middle of the road “regular” job. Dh is a rebbe, tutors three kids, learns with a wealthy man and works in a day camp in the summer. I work in the financial office of a school, and have two small remote bookkeeping jobs. We bring in a combined 170k. We don’t send our children to the schools we work in but tuition is sent pretax to the schools which is a huge savings.

It is really a pet peeve of mine that people assume we are on food stamps and taking tzedaka etc. 170k for a family of 7 is very far from wealthy but I don’t feel any worse off then many of my neighbors who are not in chinuch.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 5:26 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
The secret is that people hustle and work side and night jobs and end up making the same amount as they would as a middle of the road “regular” job. Dh is a rebbe, tutors three kids, learns with a wealthy man and works in a day camp in the summer. I work in the financial office of a school, and have two small remote bookkeeping jobs. We bring in a combined 170k. We don’t send our children to the schools we work in but tuition is sent pretax to the schools which is a huge savings.

It is really a pet peeve of mine that people assume we are on food stamps and taking tzedaka etc. 170k for a family of 7 is very far from wealthy but I don’t feel any worse off then many of my neighbors who are not in chinuch.

Agree with every word. I'm in a similar situation and hate the assumptions. Still teachers are underpaid due to the sheer amount of work they do and hard they have to hustle to make ends meet.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 5:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Exactly!

So what is the secret to how these families who both parent's are in are in chinuch (or who's husband is learning in Kollel and the wife is teaching) get by??!!

I know these are amazing erliche families who wouldn't cheat and do false loopholes to get more government welfare than they qualify for...

There is no one secret. Hashem works it out for each family in different ways.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics