Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else following the titan submersible story?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
It would force them to close, to stop putting people in harms way, etc.

It would help people moving forward.

Thanks

No way anyone is going to go on such an expedition in a long long while.

scruffy

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:14 pm
Trademark wrote:
Thanks

No way anyone is going to go on such an expedition in a long long while.

Some people like extreme tourism. 1 out of every 100 climbers die on Mount Everest.

Mollie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:16 pm
To play devils advocate, if not for Adventurers and Explorers, we wouldn’t have the world we know today, and if it was “too dangerous” the Americas wouldn’t have been discovered.

So we need these types of innovative minds, not adhering to all the safety regulations is another story.

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:16 pm
scruffy wrote:
Some people like extreme tourism. 1 out of every 100 climbers die on Mount Everest.

Yes, people die every day doing stupid things. But I think the way this is so widely publicized and how agonizing it must have been will have a huge impact.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:17 pm
octopus wrote:
I'm not sure my empathy stretches to him. But I feel bad for the rest of them.

Yeah and no. Do your research about something. If it's run with with a 30 dollar game controller, the cep brags that safety isnt important, and you need to sign a waiver that it's not tested and you may die....

Hello red flags.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:20 pm
If they do spot it by some miracle, do they even have a way to bring it up? And on time before they run out of oxygen? I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any hope left at all.
I so badly want it to end well!

Mollie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:22 pm
By now, the only hope is if they find it somewhere on the surface

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:22 pm
Mollie wrote:
To play devils advocate, if not for Adventurers and Explorers, we wouldn’t have the world we know today, and if it was “too dangerous” the Americas wouldn’t have been discovered.

And if America had never been discovered, the Titanic would never have sunk on its way to America, and people wouldn't be going to see it, and then this whole situation would never have arisen in the first place!

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:23 pm
zaq wrote:
Brings back memories of the Dakar, among others. (British WWII sub that was refurbished, commissioned into the Israeli navy, and set sail for Israel in 1968. It vanished a few days into the trip, and Israel continued searching for it for 30 years. Its remains were finally found in 1999 at the bottom of the sea.)

Isn’t there a whole fictional story about that, with some mossad plot to send undercover agents to Arab countries?

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:24 pm
Elfrida wrote:
And if America had never been discovered, the Titanic would never have sunk on its way to America, and people wouldn't be going to see it, and then this whole situation would never have arisen in the first place!

You’re playing devil’s devil’s advocate.
If people would’ve learnt their lesson from the titanic and not be so arrogant about the unsinkable the unthinkable unsinkable wouldn’t happen now either.
Something tells me people won’t take a lesson from this either and keep taking risks.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:26 pm
I think there is a reasonable line between the spirit of adventure and discovery and thrills for the sake of satisfying a thrill because you are rich and bored.

An astronaut or a test pilot took risks for a higher purpose. What in the world was the reason for paying $250,000 to descend in a large metal ball to look at a wreck - nothing was learned that would be to the benefit of anyone

scruffy

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:27 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
Isn’t there a whole fictional story about that, with some mossad plot to send undercover agents to Arab countries?

Aleph Shin

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:28 pm
Mollie wrote:

So we need these types of innovative minds, not adhering to all the safety regulations is another story.

Many of them traveled for a purpose, not simply leisure.

The ones who do it purely for adventure are fools, IMO.

"shomer pesaim hashem."

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
I think there is a reasonable line between the spirit of adventure and discovery and thrills for the sake of satisfying a thrill because you are rich and bored.

An astronaut or a test pilot took risks for a higher purpose. What in the world was the reason for paying $250,000 to descend in a large metal ball to look at a wreck - nothing was learned that would be to the benefit of anyone

How ridiculous to compare this with getting into a car…

Java

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:29 pm
OBnursemom wrote:

I was just thinking about that!! Amazing amazing book

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:30 pm
Cheiny wrote:
How ridiculous to compare this with getting into a car…

I am not comparing it to a car LOL - want to make it clear that I was posting because the owner of the company is a fool who deliberately did NOT take precautions advised by experts in the field of underwater deep diving vehicles.

My car has loads of safety features - many of which are "required" and some of which I paid for additionally for safety.

I also got a car that was highly rated for safety in terms of crash tests. Very Happy

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am not comparing it to a car LOL - want to make it clear that I was posting because the owner of the company is a fool who deliberately did NOT take precautions advised by experts in the field of underwater deep diving vehicles.

My car has loads of safety features - many of which are "required" and some of which I paid for additionally for safety.

I also got a car that was highly rated for safety in terms of crash tests. Very Happy

The CEO was comparing it to a car, not you.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:31 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Yeah and no. Do your research about something. If it's run with with a 30 dollar game controller, the cep brags that safety isnt important, and you need to sign a waiver that it's not tested and you may die....

Hello red flags.

I agree with your points but I don't think people really think they are signing up to die. People think they are invincible.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:32 pm
NechaMom wrote:
The CEO was comparing it to a car, not you.

I know that but a poster didn't differentiate between my posting a quote by the CEO to show how poorly his "thoughts" on safety have aged Very Happy

Mollie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:38 pm
Amarante wrote:

From interview with a previous passenger on the sub:

"We were versed in how the sub operated, we were versed in various protocols – but it’s not a safe operation inherently," he added. "And that is part of research and development and exploration and experimentation."

Hagen also said, "If the Wright brothers had crashed on their first flight, they would have still left the bonds of earth and they would have crashed. They had no backup system and Stockton Rush is a visionary who is trying to democratize the depths, trying to open up the ocean, and that was not possible without risk."
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics