Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Workmate not responsible
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:46 pm
im a playgroup teacher for 1 year olds. Im fed up from my assistant for a few reasons:
she just sits on a chair and lets me do bulk work
I need to tell her 3 times the same thing until she follows thru
she tells me what to do and she sits on a chair
now im fuming cuz she just texted me that shes coming in tomorrow at 12pm cuz she needs to watch her moms cleaning lady... ftr shes a high school age kid...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:47 pm
and she comes half hr late every day

amother
Quince

Honestly sounds very typical for a high school age kid. Maturity and responsibility comes with time and experience.
Not to say that you shouldn't correct her, just keep things in perspective

amother
Maple

So why do you employ her? Get someone else

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:49 pm
I'm assuming you've already tried setting expectations and correcting her, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here... Right?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:56 pm
Sit down with her and tell her what a pleasant personality she has and other praise. Then write up a schedule with very very specific instructions. Some kids are clueless and need alot of guidance.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I'm assuming you've already tried setting expectations and correcting her, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here... Right?

I told her daily routine a few times but she does whatever she feels like it. for ex: I tell her to please help me feed kids lunch so she decides that she needs to organize closet then.. im talking to the wall... my boss knows abt it-she told me that shes really learning disabled. im mad at my boss for hiring again this summer

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:21 pm
she called me now if its fine if she comes in tom at 12pm cuz she needs to watch her moms cleaning lady so I straight out told her its going to be very hard. she was basically telling me that shes just doing whats good for her-she didnt even care what I had to say

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
she called me now if its fine if she comes in tom at 12pm cuz she needs to watch her moms cleaning lady so I straight out told her its going to be very hard. she was basically telling me that shes just doing whats good for her-she didnt even care what I had to say

Maybe her mother didn't give her a choice.
Just tell her that her behavior will reflect on her pay.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I told her daily routine a few times but she does whatever she feels like it. for ex: I tell her to please help me feed kids lunch so she decides that she needs to organize closet then.. im talking to the wall... my boss knows abt it-she told me that shes really learning disabled. im mad at my boss for hiring again this summer

This is on your boss. You need to have an honest discussion with her so she can hire accordingly.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:31 pm
It sounds like you could be more assertive with her.
Like if she's doing something else and you need her to be helping with lunch, say 'please stop doing that and help me with lunch.' even if you have to do it over and over and over

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Maybe her mother didn't give her a choice.
Just tell her that her behavior will reflect on her pay.

I dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!! her mother knows she has a job-job=commitment. y in the world does her mother think its okay on my cheshbon???????????

giving her less pay is not going to help for tom-when someone doesnt come to work u need to hire sub.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

If your boss is the one on top of her and paying her, she should be calling your boss. And your boss needs to get a sub. Why do you have to deal with it?
Maybe tell boss you're doing double work with this girl and you need to be paid more.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:33 pm
amother Quince wrote:
It sounds like you could be more assertive with her.
Like if she's doing something else and you need her to be helping with lunch, say 'please stop doing that and help me with lunch.' even if you have to do it over and over and over

I told her 3 times to take kids out of crib and she ignores me. so doesnt matter how many times I tell her. if shes not in the mood of doing something she wont budge

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

Sounds like she’s doing what’s good for her mom.

Sometimes employers hire special cases as a chessed or a favor if the mom is their friend. You should be careful how you talk to your boss about the assistant in case she is friends with the mother.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!! her mother knows she has a job-job=commitment. y in the world does her mother think its okay on my cheshbon???????????

giving her less pay is not going to help for tom-when someone doesnt come to work u need to hire sub.

Again, this is on your boss. Your boss is the one who needs to procure and pay subs, too.
ETA: agree with watergirl. This is probably a chessed/friend type of hire.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:35 pm
amother Maple wrote:
If your boss is the one on top of her and paying her, she should be calling your boss. And your boss needs to get a sub. Why do you have to deal with it?
Maybe tell boss you're doing double work with this girl and you need to be paid more.

I told her to call my boss and my boss told her that she cld come 12pm tomorrow. I didnt want my boss to give her permission...

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I told her to call my boss and my boss told her that she cld come 12pm tomorrow. I didnt want my boss to give her permission...

Call your boss and tell her you need a sub, or more pay for double work.

smss

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:36 pm
Sounds like she doesn't want this job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:38 pm
watergirl wrote:
Sounds like she’s doing what’s good for her mom.

Sometimes employers hire special cases as a chessed or a favor if the mom is their friend. You should be careful how you talk to your boss about the assistant in case she is friends with the mother.

my boss is not friends with her mom. but I guess I need to be assertive to my boss and give her criteria what I need in a good assistant...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics