Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Workmate not responsible
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sebastian

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 5:42 pm
Sorry op your boss is the problem

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:00 pm
Could be your boss hired her because she's paying her very little and the girl feels she doesn't have to work too hard because she's getting such a low salary.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:05 pm
no. my boss is paying her at least $1,000/half

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
no. my boss is paying her at least $1,000/half

For what hours?
$1000/half means $250/week

For 9-3 and until 12 on Friday, 27 hours a week, that's less than $8 an hour.

I get that for a teenager it's pretty good payment, but it's with the understanding that they are teenagers, they don't have that level of responsibility to the job that an adult has

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Violet wrote:
For what hours?

I get that for a teenager it's pretty good payment, but it's with the understanding that they are teenagers, they don't have that level of responsibility to the job that an adult has

my belief is that a job= responsibility;it doesnt matter pay... the first year that I worked I had same responsibility as a decade later. no excuses.

bebrave

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:53 pm
Sounds like a typical teenager Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:57 pm
bebrave wrote:
Sounds like a typical teenager Very Happy

I was working since 12 years old every summer and I never acted like this.. to me it just looks unacceptable-either youre responsible or not...

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:03 pm
I think your boss hired a teenager for a reason. To save money. You get what you pay for. Anyway , when you were a teenager times were different and, yes, we were more responsible than today's teenagers

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:04 pm
She reminds me of a girl that I have working for me. Except the girl I have working for me, I have through like a hamaspik type of place and they actually pay us to have her. You have to be very very firm with these girls and tell them exactly what you need. I would have told her she cannot to come late tomorrow as she has a job. The girl I have also tends to ignore anyone that she feels is not her direct boss. In my office she looks up to me as her direct boss so she does what I tell her to do but if anybody else tells her anything she ignores them. If I see it happening I have a conversation with her about responsibility and about work and that as much as we value her we can replace her if we need so she needs to do whatever she's told.
You need to go to your boss and tell them this is not working and you need somebody else in your room even if she is there since she does not do the job that she's supposed to.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:14 pm
Hire an older girl ( post hs) or a an older person if you want things in tip top shape. There is only a certain amount of maturity you can expect at that age. I worked in the summer in my high school years, and while I believe I was a decent worker I prob didn’t perform to all the expectations.
Your boss is saving money by hiring a hs aged assistant. That can mean a 15 year old. It’s tough luck on you.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:34 pm
I hired a lady like that as a babysitter. She had very good references. I couldn't deal with her so I never hired her again.

I understand not realizing that she would be an issue and then not wanting to fire her. But your boss hired her again?? Why would you agree to work with her? You can find a better job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:40 pm
my boss is not there to save money. she cldnt find anyone else. 1st half I had an amazing partner that worked in sync with me. it was a pleasure- I know that my boss paid her top dollar as she has a masters in education

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:02 am
I hear your frustration, but if your boss hired a high school student with no work experience, who also has an intellectual disability (maybe some kind of processing or executive function? Or maybe lack of comprehension of nuance?), What more can you expect?

I teach in a school and every year the school hires fresh out of hs girls as assistants. Most of the, until firmly trained differently day after day, will sit or stand in the back of the room and will not take initiative or follow thru on a task unless asked and guided over and over and over. They're not malicious, just inexperienced.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:03 am
amother OP wrote:
my boss is not there to save money. she cldnt find anyone else. 1st half I had an amazing partner that worked in sync with me. it was a pleasure- I know that my boss paid her top dollar as she has a masters in education

You can't compare a hs girl to an experienced woman with a masters in the field!! To even have a chance of succeeding this hs girl would need tons of guidance and supervision.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:06 am
Can you try to find somebody else?
How many more weeks is she supposed to be working with you?

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:39 am
amother OP wrote:

That's really, really unusual, to have an assistant with a masters in education, even for a year round job, let alone a temp summer job. (She was definitely over qualified!)
For a summer job, the reality is you are going to likely get a teenager who needs to fill their time. Some will be more responsible than others.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:54 am
If she's outright refusing to do what you tell her, perhaps it's because she doesn't regard you as her supervisor. I think a conversation between the boss and the two of you to set expectations is in order.

Also, make sure you use assertive language, like please take the babies out of the cribs now, and not could you take them out?

And you mentioned she's learning disabled and that you told her the daily routine a few times. Maybe she has auditory processing issues and would benefit from a printed checklist of the daily agenda, as detailed as possible, with times and exact actions needed. She can carry it on a clipboard and check everything off as she does it. And if there's no clock in the room, have her wear a watch or buy a cheap one.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:24 am
amother OP wrote:
I told her to call my boss and my boss told her that she cld come 12pm tomorrow. I didnt want my boss to give her permission...

So this is on your boss, not the girl. She was given permission. Please speak to your boss about NOT giving permission to take off.

Also speak to boss if theccan be a discuss with her about performance.

On the other hand.....

You mentioned that it was hard for your boss to find an assistant, and that she's paying this girl the equivalent of $7 an hour.........maybe your boss realizes that this is better than nothing.

And I know that in places like Lakewood the daycares and camps have banded together to limit pay for hs girls to these absurdly low amounts........that dors not make it right........AND you ger what you pay for. Many girls are not really committed to their jobs.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:43 am
amother Violet wrote:
For what hours?

It's actually not good payment at all and is taking advantage of these girls.

Yrs, it's higher pay than a camp counselor (which also are taking advantage) but those are social fun jobs with friends and trips and usually transportation on the camp bus.

Assistant to one year olds is not that. At all.

Job is less fun. Hours are longer. In Lakewood, there is no transportation.

There were years that my dds did not get counselor jobs and they wanted these so they could have something to do at least.

Basically, the day cares are taking advantage of that.

I never allowed daycare jobs as I saw those ti be exceptionally taking advantage and requiring me to provide transportation. Plus. I believe in commitment and achrayis and did not think my girls would be able to stay motivated in such a job for such low pay.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:19 am
I think we are confusing two issues, the pay and the work. If the girl accepted the job knowing the pay and understanding the responsibilities, then she cant just ignore her duties because she feels the pay is low. No one forced her to accept the job. She needs to do it properly. Even if it isnt "fun".

In this case the OP was told by her boss that the girl was "learning disabled" (sic, not a fan of the term), so its on the boss. If the boss approved the time off, I thing the boss has to provide the help even if she has to do it herself.
Its not right to leave OP with having to babysit the "helper" along with her normal job responsibilities.
If something happens, who's responsible?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics