Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Remember when? Gateshead UK
1  2  3  Next

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:05 am
I was just in Gateshead, there's a shop called Fulli's on Coatsworth rd selling paperware....when I grew up there we shopped at Mrs. Levine's house...anyone remember her counting napkins & cupcake holders in rapid fire Danish????

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:09 am
Yeah I remember that! Golly that brings back fond memories! There's also a take out bagel shop-used to be if u wanted a bagel. make it yourself!! Still no restaurants tho.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:38 am
When I was in sem the girls were astounded that there were no takeaways, having grown up there I didn't understand what the issue was!!

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:37 pm
Ah, but do you remember the days before Dansky opened? When there was only the one shop?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:49 pm
Yes of course!!!! That's how it was when I grew up! And it closed at 1pm on Sunday & 5pm every day-but we had Mankoff's...aaahh the memories!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:00 pm
I was in old Gateshead sem the year Danskys opened up. Omg the excitement in the town that you now had 2 stores - couldn't understand what all the hype was about.

I remember Mrs Rose selling shnitzels and hot dogs from her house.

And that brilliant stationary shop, Snips, that sold everything dirt cheap.

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:10 pm
Good old Mrs Rose! I sometimes filled as a cook in Sunderland Yeshiva for her, was epic LOL. Snips moved and renamed snips plus but it's closed now. If u remember Snips u must remember Sloans where we stood in line while the shop keeper would bag each item....

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:15 pm
MomfromUK wrote:
Good old Mrs Rose! I sometimes filled as a cook in Sunderland Yeshiva for her, was epic LOL. Snips moved and renamed snips plus but it's closed now. If u remember Snips u must remember Sloans where we stood in line while the shop keeper would bag each item....

Nah, only remember steinhaus, Danskys, snips, Barclays bank on the corner, Mrs Rose and the dressmaker opposite snips - again, very cheap.

I didn't live in Gateshead, only there for sem.

Glad to hear the place has moved on a bit.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:16 pm
How could I forget to mention Bubby Shleider - peanut chews cut into tiny squares, ready for all the visiting sem girls

Omamy

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:35 pm
We were lucky back then to have two real banks in Coatsworth Road. Barclays AND Lloyds. Remember Mrs Michaels Shop?
And does anyone remember when the Queen z'l came to open the new Leisure Centre?

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:23 pm
I grew up in Gateshead and miss it!! Such good memories!!

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:31 pm
Of course, Mrs Michael's shop! We used to buy Stuff for needlework, anyone remember Mrs. Wilson???? Old High School LOL

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:44 pm
MomfromUK wrote:
Yeah I remember that! Golly that brings back fond memories! There's also a take out bagel shop-used to be if u wanted a bagel. make it yourself!! Still no restaurants tho.

Wondering why you replied here.

dilego

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:55 pm
Yea even old Gateshead's changing.
When I was in Sem that was b4 rabbi katz openend new gateshead and there where hardly any yidden living down coatsworth rd.
There was no ravenscourt... and no Dansky's
Mankoffs was there at their house. Only stenhouse.
I guess I'm a bit on the older side

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
Wondering why you replied here.

Yes, that surprised me too.

OP, did you reply to your own post?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:00 pm
And noone lived on Hartington st. Prince Consort, Durham rd, Bensham rd, Adler Close...

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:03 pm
No I left it open and someone thought it would funny to reply on my user Sad

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:04 pm
amother Natural wrote:
I was in old Gateshead sem the year Danskys opened up. Omg the excitement in the town that you now had 2 stores - couldn't understand what all the hype was about.

I remember Mrs Rose selling shnitzels and hot dogs from her house.

And that brilliant stationary shop, Snips, that sold everything dirt cheap.

I'm the op from the Manchester memories, sorry to be here but I was in sem in Gateshead Wink can I join?
Yes!! Mrs. Rose used to weigh the shnitzels and Fry them on the spot whilst you waited in her house Smile
And of course I remember snips. We bought our greeting cards there for dirt cheap.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:07 pm
amother Natural wrote:
How could I forget to mention Bubby Shleider - peanut chews cut into tiny squares, ready for all the visiting sem girls

Ohhh yes she was so nice!

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:08 pm
MomfromUK wrote:
No I left it open and someone thought it would funny to reply on my user Sad

Someone from your family just used your user name? I'm confused.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating