Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me decide

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 10:46 pm
I've been an SAHM for many many years with a bit of part-time work as well. My kids are now getting older, some of them married, and I'm finally thinking of going back to work on a more regular basis. I feel like it's finally time for me to have some other life for myself other than only motherhood, which was great and I'm blessed that I was able to stay at home mostly for all these years. The problem is now that my kids are older and I have some grandchildren as well, I'm finding that there's less time to actually go to work. For example, sometimes when my kids are off they want to come stay with us for a while, a long extended Shabbos or vacation, they also want me to come to them when they have kids and stay for a while, I would like to have these luxuries but I don't want to be bound by always being available even though that is also a priority to me. I guess I'm just torn between wanting to still be a mother for my children even though their needs have changed and also having more of a life for myself which would feel a little bit confining. Any advice?

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 10:54 pm
Playgroup subbing? Subbing in a school? Your own business where YOU make your own hours? Something flexible. You can work it when YOU want to work and take plenty of time off. I have some experience in this--- I've got two teens with special needs so 99% of my time needs to be focused on their appointments and meds and therapy and docs and behaviors and I can work a tiny bit. Smile

What kind of job might you want to do and how can we help you plan to make it as flexible as possible?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 10:56 pm
Contract work?
What are your skills? What area of expertise?

Do you want to do editing? Work in education? Are you an RN?
There are many fields where you can take on projects and decide when to work.

In education, you can sub. I understand that are in high demand. If you put yourself on multiple lists, you will often have work, but you can also decline or not be available certain weeks. Same with per dorm RNs. Editors or writers can decide what (and when) projects to take on. Same with organizers, interiors designers, MUA, and photographers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:01 pm
I really appreciate your replies. The idea of having my own business where I can have my own hours really does appeal to me but TBH I have no experience in this, I would have no idea where to begin and how to figure it all out. Any advice on good steps of how to learn to do this? I don't have any specific skill sets. I was in the teaching world for high school but don't have any interest in doing that anymore. I feel like since I've been out of it for so long I didn't keep up with what's current. Subbing is a good idea but last minute changes in my schedule does not work for me so that's not going to work.
What does editing entail?

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:07 pm
What about volunteering? That way you can set your own schedule but still have that social aspect and raison detere outside of family

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:15 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
What about volunteering? That way you can set your own schedule but still have that social aspect and raison detere outside of family

I couldn't justify not making some money to help out around here, we really could use it. Otherwise that would be a good idea

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:20 pm
What if they come for extended weekends and you spend all of shabbos and Sunday with them but Monday you go to work and come back to still serve them supper?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics