Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What technique is best to get SMOOTH Farina?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:57 pm
I just added farina to boiling water, like the box says, and it became all clumpy.

I had to work hard with a fork, getting out all the clumps.

I see on Youtube people mix the farina with liquid, and then boil it.

Whays the quickest and most fool proof way to get smooth farina?

tia

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:02 pm
I pour it in slowly and keep stirring briskly. Low simmer.

Ima Piano

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:03 pm
I do with hand blender

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:06 pm
Any reason not to mix the right amounts of Farina and liquid, and then put it into the pot together?

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:09 pm
Don’t add it until the water is boiling. Heat water with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. When it starts to bubble slowly drizzle in the farina while mixing briskly with a spoon in your other hand. Turn down flame so it’s just gently bubbling and keep mixing until it’s done.

ETA I see op said she used boiling water. It could be the water was already boiling too hard or you added the farina too quickly. Let the water just start to bubble gently don’t wait until it’s at a rolling boil. Add the farina very slowly while mixing and keep it on a low flame.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any reason not to mix the right amounts of Farina and liquid, and then put it into the pot together?

Yes. The reason is because if you mix the farina with cold water you’ll end up with a lumpy mess that will stick to the bottom of the pot as you heat it and burn, while you have raw lumps on top (no matter how hard you mix).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:13 pm
I put it all in the pot together and then mix the entire time until it boils. It might take a bit longer but I usually don't have any clumps.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
I put it all in the pot together and then mix the entire time until it boils. It might take a bit longer but I usually don't have any clumps.

Thats what I saw on Youtube. Thanks.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:18 pm
What's making you ask if you already made your decision about how you want to do it next time from YouTube?
Try it. There are all sorts of methods. No need to ask if you don't want to hear the response that's different than you want to hear.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:29 pm
Add a tablespoon of butter per serving of farina.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:52 pm
I make mine with milk instead of water. It's so yummy and creamy.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:00 pm
I put in some milk (I eyeball everything) and wait till it's boiling or nearly so. Then I pour in some cream of wheat and start stirring immediately and constantly. It really has to be immediate. Waiting ten seconds won't do. I actually did that this morning because I got distracted and sure enough, lumps.

Soon I turn the heat down to medium, add more and stir more, then to low/off and keep stirring and wait...sometimes it ends up a little bit thick and I add more milk at the end...it's really an art that I've come to through practice. I keep stirring all the time and don't keep the heat high because I don't want to end up with cereal stuck to the bottom. Also a reason to err on keeping the milk (or water) ratio high.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 9:28 pm
Low and slow and keep mixing it will result with beautiful smooth farina
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics