Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O What happened to chessed?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:20 pm
How can we encourage our children to do things for chesed? Aside from setting the example of doing chesed ourselves and involving them in it.
My kids help around the house as needed, but for big jobs I'm happy to incentivize them and pay them something for something that will take an hour or two. I'm looking for ideas to motivate them for the sake of chesed without expecting payment (not specifically for doing things for me, but in the community)

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:33 pm
Do you do chessed?

Like watching neighbor child, taking in niece/nephew after birth, cooking kimpeturin suppers, hosting guests, calling/visiting almanah

If kids see parents helping others they usually copy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:36 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Do you do chessed?

Like watching neighbor child, taking in niece/nephew after birth, cooking kimpeturin suppers, hosting guests, calling/visiting almanah

If kids see parents helping others they usually copy.

Yes all the time, but my kids are not up to cooking suppers and babysitting yet

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:41 pm
Involve your children when you do Cheesed. Like if you're making someone a meal, have them come along to deliver it or make it with you. But most of all, show that you're happy to do Cheesed and don't complain about it.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
How can we encourage our children to do things for chesed? Aside from setting the example of doing chesed ourselves and involving them in it.
My kids help around the house as needed, but for big jobs I'm happy to incentivize them and pay them something for something that will take an hour or two. I'm looking for ideas to motivate them for the sake of chesed without expecting payment (not specifically for doing things for me, but in the community)

Are you paying them to do things for you? if yes then I'd start with that. Children are allowed to help out at home without expecting any payment from their parent.
My father asked my brother for help with cleaning out the garage, my brother wanted to know how much he was getting paid for it. My father told him to first pay for the 18 years he lived in his home and to deduct the amount he would have gotten for cleaning the garage.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Are you paying them to do things for you? if yes then I'd start with that. Children are allowed to help out at home without expecting any payment from their parent.

I agree 100% and they do plenty around the house without payment. I do sometimes give them larger paid jobs when they want to buy something that I would not ordinarily buy for them, so that they're able to work for it and save up.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 3:17 pm
Even if can't babysit solo

Many mothers would love for older kid to play with their baby, a mothers helper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics