Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How hard is it to kick out a tenant
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:07 pm
How hard is it to kick out a tenant in Lakewood who refuses to leave? The reason for kicking the tenant out would be to get new tenants who would pay more rent. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:11 pm
If their leases is up you can say sign a new contract for $x amount or leave by X day.

But for you- is it really worth the hassle of getting a new tenant for a rent increase?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:14 pm
It is not for me. My next door neighbor's house was bought. The new owners want to kick out the present tenant so he can get more money for his rent. I want to stop that! I do not want my old neighbor to leave to replace with multifamily situations.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:30 pm
If it not owner occupied, I believe that in NJ the tenant is protected by rent control and that isn't a valid enough reason to evict them. Either way, the landlord would have to go through the courts for a formal eviction which can take months

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:41 pm
Keep in mind your neighbor may not be telling you the truth…I know of a situation where a tenant won’t leave when the owner wants to occupy it himself with his family. The current tenant is telling everyone that the owner is lying.
It’s a huge mess.
In Lakewood

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:35 pm
I apologize if I am making assumptions based on what I know about Lakewood area, apartments in private houses, and based on what you’ve said, I am assuming that is the case and your neighbors situation.

These apartments are typically never legal. That means there is not a lease that will stand up in court. That’s always a risk for the tenant as well as the owner. Nobody is protected, it’s kind of the wild west.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
I apologize if I am making assumptions based on what I know about Lakewood area, apartments in private houses, and based on what you’ve said, I am assuming that is the case and your neighbors situation.

These apartments are typically never legal. That means there is not a lease that will stand up in court. That’s always a risk for the tenant as well as the owner. Nobody is protected, it’s kind of the wild west.

That may be the case elsewhere, but on Lakewood the vast majority of basement apartments in private houses ARE legal in every way.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
That may be the case elsewhere, but on Lakewood the vast majority of basement apartments in private houses ARE legal in every way.

Wow! I’m glad to be wrong!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:31 pm
watergirl wrote:
Wow! I’m glad to be wrong!!

By legal do you mean that they are legally built and up to code? Or actually legal rent contracts that can be upheld in court?

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:33 pm
My understanding is that if the property is purchased, the new owner is allowed to refuse to renew the current resident's contract.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
It is not for me. My next door neighbor's house was bought. The new owners want to kick out the present tenant so he can get more money for his rent. I want to stop that! I do not want my old neighbor to leave to replace with multifamily situations.
What do you mean by multifamily situations. If they're illegally subdividing the house then you may have what to report. But that's separate from eviction.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:36 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
The new basements are legal. The old ones are not. There are still plenty of old basements in town.

But regardless it doesn't sound like OP is referring to a basement.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:56 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
By legal do you mean that they are legally built and up to code? Or actually legal rent contracts that can be upheld in court?

The apartments may be legal and up to code
But I doubt many have legal contracts that would be upheld in court
I know we dont...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:11 am
It is a house. I think the plan is to rent it out to illegals, charge higher rent. This type of population usually sublet the house. I have a different neighbor who sublets to illegals, I have counted 15 cars from that house!! Is there any way to stop this?

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:34 pm
If there is a valid lease it’s nearly impossible to kick out a tenant who wants to renew the lease. It is illegal to kick out a tenant so you can raise prices. If there are any legitimate issues like damage or non payment the court gives the tenants a time frame to correct it before getting evicted

I know for my house in the area, which I bought occupied with tenants, the only reason I will be able to not renew the lease is because I plan on moving in myself and removing it as a rental property

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 2:03 pm
I can’t help but wonder why a Frum family would live in the living conditions as the Mexican families in Lakewood. Those houses are typically run down, 80 years old etc

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
I can’t help but wonder why a Frum family would live in the living conditions as the Mexican families in Lakewood. Those houses are typically run down, 80 years old etc

Maybe it's a single Mexican family that lives there

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
How hard is it to kick out a tenant in Lakewood who refuses to leave? The reason for kicking the tenant out would be to get new tenants who would pay more rent. Anyone have experience with this?

From my understanding, you cant kick out a tenant unless you want the place for yourself. So what many ppl have done when the prices of rent doubled is that they told the tenant they want it for themselves now and asked them to leave. Then they left the apartment empty for a month and then "changed their mind" and put in a new tenant. Its a pretty easy loophole to the system and the only way to get a tenant that you dont like out.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:18 pm
People who rent have to remember that it’s NOT their house. They didn’t put the down payment , pay the taxes , maintain the property. Contrary to popular belief the owner has a right to do whatever they want with their house.
It is not called being kicked out if a persons lease is up and they were asked to leave. It is none of their business whether Owner wants to do with the house.
There is a reason why people scrimp and save in by an affordable starter home etc. so that they OWN and wont be KICKED out.
It’s the liberals who demand the landlords keep tenants without raising rents etc. property taxes and mortgage rates are skyrocketing, but the landlords are the bad guys for wanting more rent.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
People who rent have to remember that it’s NOT their house. They didn’t put the down payment , pay the taxes , maintain the property. Contrary to popular belief the owner has a right to do whatever they want with their house.
It is not called being kicked out if a persons lease is up and they were asked to leave. It is none of their business whether Owner wants to do with the house.
There is a reason why people scrimp and save in by an affordable starter home etc. so that they OWN and wont be KICKED out.
It’s the liberals who demand the landlords keep tenants without raising rents etc. property taxes and mortgage rates are skyrocketing, but the landlords are the bad guys for wanting more rent.

Your 100% right but thats just not the way the legal system works. Unfortunately, tenants have the upper hand and you can have a crazy tenant damaging your apartment and not paying rent and it cant take months and thousands of dollars to get them out. A landlord with a legal apartment doesnt have much choice besides to say they want it for themselves otherwise legally the tenant cant be forced to move and you also cant double the rent.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries