Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I'm afraid there isn't a way out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:25 pm
We survive because we get government programs. However we're stuck, we can't make more money or we lose our benefits.
We cannot possibly make enough to make it without these benefits.
Are people on programs for life?

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:26 pm
Welcome to the catch-22 of welfare and why some are realizing that welfare is a modern-day form of slavery and then you are beholden to the political party that sustains these programs.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:05 am
miami85 wrote:
Welcome to the catch-22 of welfare and why some are realizing that welfare is a modern-day form of slavery and then you are beholden to the political party that sustains these programs.

This. Years ago we won a section 8 lottery and refused it because we didn't want to be tied down to living this life. By doing that we opened ourselves to opportunities of unlimited income, and today we earn way more than we ever thought possible.

My advice is to get off welfare and slowly build your income in other ways. It will be hard in the beginning, but so freeing once you're out of that rut.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:06 am
I think we need a support group for those in the middle. The not program qualifiers but not making the big bucks yet gang. But for real tho, it can feel like a tight squeeze BH Wink

Itsallfromhim

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:12 am
The golden handcuffs

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:13 am
My daughter's friend just told her she is quitting her job because her income is hurting her benefits. Not worth it to work unless you exceed a certain threshold.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:28 am
amother Melon wrote:
My daughter's friend just told her she is quitting her job because her income is hurting her benefits. Not worth it to work unless you exceed a certain threshold.

What benefits??
And it's worth it not to work?
Unless you're not in USA?

Op if it works for you great
If you want to try earn more dont give up your benefits
Until it's worth doing so..
I hear the middle class are really struggling these days

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:15 am
My middle class friends are really struggling. They work a ton and are hardly or are just making it. It's horrible.
We are not on section 8 by the way. It's basically head start, food stamps, wic and Medicaid.
If I knew that we would be able to make enough money I would quit this all today. The problem is that I crunched the numbers and we would need to make a whole lot more. We have a family of a bunch of kids. I have special needs children who I'm forever taking to appointments. My life is very high stress. I don't work now. If we tried to get off programs I would need to work for sure. I have zero qualifications and I have no real talents. I am terrible at details, numbers, computers. I taught for a few years at the beginning of my marriage but that was many many years ago, the world of teaching has changed so much by now. My husband has an ok job but he is not a business person at all. I have no reason to believe that we will get off these programs and then make the leap to being able to make it. Numbers these days for a frum family is scary. I mostly care about the kids. How will we afford to feed and clothe them? Will we ever be able to take them on trips?
I know this is the bad choice, living on your own dollar is the right way to live, but I literally don't see a way out. Maybe 5 kids ago, it would be possible. Now it feels too scary.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:49 am
If you want to get off of programs, yes you would most likely half to go to work. Based off your situation, working in a school sounds like it makes the most sense because of the hours and tuition breaks.

Snap and Medicaid both won't stop abruptly, it'll be a wean down. For snap, are you in an area with tomchei shabbos and food banks so you'll still have access to food while you stabilize? For health care, there's a chance your special needs kids will be able to stay on but for the rest of your family, maybe your husband could switch jobs to something with health insurance benefits. If he works a not so specialized office job but has experience, then it's likely he could find something easily as most employers are still desperate.

There's also many many simple side hustles that can help you make a few extra dollars (every bit counts) like hemming dresses, running an afternoon program once a week, tutoring, driving for a car service, etc

It's a lot of work but so worth living on your own as much as possible

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:14 am
Let's talk practically. What degree would I get? How would I afford to get the degree? Who will care for my family while I am in school?
I am 44 years old.
My husband works very full time. We manage our life because I pick up all the pieces.
Also WTH making comments about kids with special needs and appointments.

If it's so simple why are all my middle class friends struggling so badly? Why would I be any different?

Right now we are ok but the government owns us. We have thought about moving to another state but we couldn't figure out how to make it financially.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:49 am
I completely relate to your situation,

I don’t know your family size, but for mine, which is double digits kah, my benefits package (between Medicaid, food stamps, and childcare subsidies) for the year is probably $50,000-60,000. I do have legal income for working 20 hours a week and therefore I qualify for childcare subsidies. But if I increase my income, I will lose my benefits. I have thought about if many times. It doesn’t make sense for me to get a job that will increase my earnings by 25,000 a year just to lose $50,000 in benefits. I need to earn $75,000 to make it worth it- and I am not currently completely unqualified to be such a high earner.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:04 pm
OP it's really tough.

It's not as simple as "just struggle for a few years and then you'll be on the other side." The cost of living nowadays is so insanely high that unless you have tremendous potential to earn more it probably isn't worth it to give up the benefits.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
My middle class friends are really struggling. They work a ton and are hardly or are just making it. It's horrible.
We are not on section 8 by the way. It's basically head start, food stamps, wic and Medicaid.
If I knew that we would be able to make enough money I would quit this all today. The problem is that I crunched the numbers and we would need to make a whole lot more. We have a family of a bunch of kids. I have special needs children who I'm forever taking to appointments. My life is very high stress. I don't work now. If we tried to get off programs I would need to work for sure. I have zero qualifications and I have no real talents. I am terrible at details, numbers, computers. I taught for a few years at the beginning of my marriage but that was many many years ago, the world of teaching has changed so much by now. My husband has an ok job but he is not a business person at all. I have no reason to believe that we will get off these programs and then make the leap to being able to make it. Numbers these days for a frum family is scary. I mostly care about the kids. How will we afford to feed and clothe them? Will we ever be able to take them on trips?
I know this is the bad choice, living on your own dollar is the right way to live, but I literally don't see a way out. Maybe 5 kids ago, it would be possible. Now it feels too scary.

Yes both dh and myself are working and really struggling. We live in a horrible apartment and im dying to move but cant afford to rent or buy.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
We survive because we get government programs. However we're stuck, we can't make more money or we lose our benefits.
We cannot possibly make enough to make it without these benefits.
Are people on programs for life?

Yup..

It isnt called the welfare plantation for nuthing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:48 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
OP it's really tough.

It's not as simple as "just struggle for a few years and then you'll be on the other side." The cost of living nowadays is so insanely high that unless you have tremendous potential to earn more it probably isn't worth it to give up the benefits.

This is what my husband keeps saying. There is no guarantee that putting all this effort in will end us up in a better place financially. If it were, we would do it in a heartbeat but to push ourselves to suffer more is a hard call. It's just so hard for me to be choosing this sort of.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:35 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I completely relate to your situation,

I don’t know your family size, but for mine, which is double digits kah, my benefits package (between Medicaid, food stamps, and childcare subsidies) for the year is probably $50,000-60,000. I do have legal income for working 20 hours a week and therefore I qualify for childcare subsidies. But if I increase my income, I will lose my benefits. I have thought about if many times. It doesn’t make sense for me to get a job that will increase my earnings by 25,000 a year just to lose $50,000 in benefits. I need to earn $75,000 to make it worth it- and I am not currently completely unqualified to be such a high earner.

It's probably worth way more than that! insurance premiums for a family of 5 is about 2k a month plus a 3k-5k ded - apprx 30k in health insurance per year.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:05 pm
I am poor middle class, B"H we are doing okay with help from gemachs and food pantries otherwise I don't know what I would do. Benefits don't cover rent so I need to work to cover that expense. Health insurance is through the marketplace so it's not so much. I work two sometimes three jobs to cover but it's all doable. My other two jobs are side jobs and I do them when I can not all the time.

Eventually I will want to stop working maybe after my kids get married and go back on programs but right now I feel it's good to work and shows a good example to my children.

My dh is starting his own business in a trade he is good at so hopefully we will be okay with food soon.

The food pantries give out lots of food so the only food I need to buy is meat, chicken and eggs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics