Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Inspirational, awesome lashon Hakodesh
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:35 am
Hi,
Can anyone share any examples of awesome lashon hakodesh- words that share a root and a meaning, beautiful gematrias, any other examples?
For a hashkofo class
Tizku lmitzvos and thank you!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:43 am
Mayim is spelled mem yud mem

Water is H20. And configured that the one hydrogen is between two oxygen molecules. Clearly, the mem is oxygen, and the yud is hydrogen, and when Hashem said Mayim, water was created.

Is this what you mean? Thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:58 am
Beautoful! Yes exactly what I mean thank you! Anything like this, letter shapes, word shapes, gematrias etc. Really appreciate

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:20 am
Michal Horowitz had a shiur on nature last summer on YU Torah, where she mentioned something beautiful about the word sheleg and threes. I'm sorry I don't remember it, but maybe someone else has heard this.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:33 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:

Water is H20. And configured that the one hydrogen is between two oxygen molecules. Clearly, the mem is oxygen, and the yud is hydrogen, and when Hashem said Mayim, water was created.

Is this what you mean? Thanks

The word "clearly" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

By this logic, the word "yam" should be HO, which is hydroxyl radical. I should hope our seas are not composed on hydroxyl radical!

I'm not finding this super convincing.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:37 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Michal Horowitz had a shiur on nature last summer on YU Torah, where she mentioned something beautiful about the word sheleg and threes. I'm sorry I don't remember it, but maybe someone else has heard this.

I’m not familiar with that specific shiur but what immediately comes to mind is that in gematria, shin, lamed and gimmel are 300, 30 and 3 respectively.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:42 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
I’m not familiar with that specific shiur but what immediately comes to mind is that in gematria, shin, lamed and gimmel are 300, 30 and 3 respectively.

The two segols in sheleg are each made up of three dots too, but what’s the connection between snow and three?

Yad is a hand. Yud and daled equal fourteen. There are 14 joints on each of your hands, three on each finger and two on your thumb.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:55 am
There’s also the famous one on ish / man - aleph, yud, shin and isha/ woman - aleph, shin, heh. They’re both eish. If you add the yud and the heh together which is Hashem’s name, meaning if they both have yiras Hashem and include that in their relationship, it will prevail. Otherwise you’re left with only the fire of the two of them and it crashes and burns.
It’s brought down in a few places, someone who knows how to learn can give you a proper source.
I wouldn’t suggest you quote any of this op, including anything I mentioned, without proper sources. Gematrias aren’t fun and games. If they’re not sourced they’re meaningless.
I know I’ll get tomatoes for suggesting smart imamothers can’t come up with these because how could any rabbis be smarter than any of us, but op said she wants these for a hashkafa class and you can’t teach Torah without making sure it’s real. Nice thoughts that came out of my head, or I heard once but don’t exactly remember, don’t equal hashkafa.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:55 am
People of the Word by Kalmenson just came out and is great for this. Tons of sections from it are on Chabad.org

dessara

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:02 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:

Actually there are two hydrogens and one oxygen. So the mem would need to represent hydrogen.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:22 am
גלות
Add an א which represents the 1 Hashem and you get
גאולה
Which is when we will see Hashem in everything we see, do, and experience.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:46 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:

Right. And three states that liquid can be part of. There might be more. Mrs. Horowitz's passion was also part of the fun, as it always is Smile

GLUE

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:45 am
I herd The Vilna Goan was quoted that the reason we call an eye eyion is because there are 70 blood veins that go through the eye. The letter eyion=70

Not from the Alef Bais but interesting the Atlantic from the Atlantic Ocean comes from the word O-she-onis
It's a word the Gemorha uses for Ocean if you put the accent on the different letters you get Atlantic

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 1:26 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
There’s also the famous one on ish / man - aleph, yud, shin and isha/ woman - aleph, shin, heh. They’re both eish. If you add the yud and the heh together which is Hashem’s name, meaning if they both have yiras Hashem and include that in their relationship, it will prevail. Otherwise you’re left with only the fire of the two of them and it crashes and burns.
It’s brought down in a few places, someone who knows how to learn can give you a proper source.
I wouldn’t suggest you quote any of this op, including anything I mentioned, without proper sources. Gematrias aren’t fun and games. If they’re not sourced they’re meaningless.
I know I’ll get tomatoes for suggesting smart imamothers can’t come up with these because how could any rabbis be smarter than any of us, but op said she wants these for a hashkafa class and you can’t teach Torah without making sure it’s real. Nice thoughts that came out of my head, or I heard once but don’t exactly remember, don’t equal hashkafa.

Sotah 17a: דָּרֵישׁ רַבִּי עֲקִיבָא: אִישׁ וְאִשָּׁה זָכוּ — שְׁכִינָה בֵּינֵיהֶן. לֹא זָכוּ — אֵשׁ אוֹכַלְתָּן.
Rashi: שכינה ביניהם - שהרי חלק את שמו ושיכנו ביניהן יו"ד באיש וה"י באשה:
לא זכו אש אוכלתן - שהקב"ה מסלק שמו מביניהן ונמצאו אש ואש:

And I emphatically agree. Hashkafa classes should be firmly sourced, not just fluffy ideas that sound nice.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 1:31 pm
GLUE wrote:
I herd The Vilna Goan was quoted that the reason we call an eye eyion is because there are 70 blood veins that go through the eye. The letter eyion=70

Not from the Alef Bais but interesting the Atlantic from the Atlantic Ocean comes from the word O-she-onis
It's a word the Gemorha uses for Ocean if you put the accent on the different letters you get Atlantic

Are there 70 blood veins that go through the eye?

I'm not sure how you can pronounce אוקינוס as Atlantic, but I'm not sure what it would show if it did. The word came to Aramaic from Greek.

GLUE

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:14 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Are there 70 blood veins that go through the eye?

I'm not sure how you can pronounce אוקינוס as Atlantic, but I'm not sure what it would show if it did. The word came to Aramaic from Greek.

Science fond 69 of them, so there is one that is waiting to be found

The person who was showing it to me was able to explain a lot better then I will ever be able to on how you can get one word from the other.
It was in high school on Chanuka when a teacher was showing us how a lot of words in Hebrew have some meaning that is the only one I really remember.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:37 pm
שקר אין לו רגלים
None of the Hebrew letters in sheker can balance on their own

אמת
All the letters can support themselves

Also the letters Emes are the first, middle, and last letters of the aleph beis - symbolic the Torah from aleph to tav is kulo emes

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
שקר אין לו רגלים
None of the Hebrew letters in sheker can balance on their own

אמת
All the letters can support themselves

This is from Shabbos 104a. OP, you may want to check it out. It goes through the aleph-bais and explains a deeper meaning behind them.

Starting with
אָמְרִי לֵיהּ רַבָּנַן לְרַבִּי יְהוֹשֻׁעַ בֶּן לֵוִי: אֲתוֹ דַּרְדְּקֵי הָאִידָּנָא לְבֵי מִדְרְשָׁא וַאֲמַרוּ מִילֵּי דַּאֲפִילּוּ בִּימֵי יְהוֹשֻׁעַ בִּן נוּן לָא אִיתְּמַר כְּווֹתַיְיהוּ: אָלֶ״ף בֵּי״ת — אֲלַף בִּינָה. גִּימֶ״ל דָּלֶ״ת — גְּמוֹל דַּלִּים. מַאי טַעְמָא פְּשׁוּטָה כַּרְעֵיהּ דְּגִימֶ״ל לְגַבֵּי דָּלֶ״ת — שֶׁכֵּן דַּרְכּוֹ שֶׁל גּוֹמֵל חֲסָדִים לָרוּץ אַחַר דַּלִּים. וּמַאי טַעְמָא פְּשׁוּטָה כַּרְעֵיהּ דְּדָלֶ״ת לְגַבַּי גִּימֶ״ל — דְּלַימְצְיַהּ לֵיהּ נַפְשֵׁיהּ. וּמַאי טַעְמָא מְהַדַּר אַפֵּיהּ דְּדָלֶ״ת מִגִּימֶ״ל — דְּלִיתֵּן לֵיהּ בְּצִינְעָה, כִּי הֵיכִי דְּלָא לִיכְּסִיף מִינֵּיהּ.

The Sages said to Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi: Young students came today to the study hall and said things the likes of which were not said even in the days of Joshua bin Nun. These children who only knew the Hebrew alphabet interpreted the letters homiletically.
Alef beit means learn [elaf] the wisdom [bina] of the Torah.
Gimmel dalet means give to the poor [gemol dalim]. Why is the leg of the gimmel extended toward the dalet? Because it is the manner of one who bestows loving-kindness to pursue the poor. And why is the leg of the dalet extended toward the gimmel? It is so that a poor person will make himself available to him who wants to give him charity. And why does the dalet face away from the gimmel? It is to teach that one should give charity discreetly so that the poor person will not be embarrassed by him.

and continuing.
https://www.sefaria.org/Shabba.....g2=en

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 5:20 pm
I'm not sure of the source of this, but it seems to be attributed to the Vilna Gaon (here) that items on the Shabbos table have a mispar katan gematria of 7.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 5:25 pm
Along the lines of goodmorning's posts.
Hatzlacha crafting a full period from this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational