Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Nosy neighbors
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:39 am
I live in Israel and about a year ago bought a duplex apartment which is on the top floor of what is otherwise a pretty old building with small apartments.

We did a load of renovations and are doing a big job on our balcony area which we're investing a lot into. Problem is, the only way to (comfortably) get to the roof of the building is via our apartment's balcony. All of a sudden our neighbors 'urgently' need to check air conditioners, dud shemesh, etc etc... the excuses keep rolling in. Basically, they want to nose around our apartment.

It's getting awkward. They're making bitter comments about it being much bigger than theirs despite them having more kids and one guy even started spreading a rumor around the shul that we're getting loads of money from my family (we're not. Dh is native Israeli but BH earns well). What to do with them knocking on our door??

abound

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:53 am
You need to make another way to get onto the roof. I was furious when my neighbors renovated, and the only way after they renovated was through their house

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:55 am
Problem is, the only other way is via a very old and awkward ladder, and 80% of the neighbors are really old and not able for it.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:58 am
They have to walk through your apt to get to the roof? Was it always like this?

Is it a nice roof? The type where they can sit and chill? If its just a plain old roof once the hype dies down they will stop

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:05 am
Before we lived there the previous owners built an extra floor onto the building, including a few bedrooms and a large balcony. Half of the roof is ours, the other half is the building's, with dud shemesh etc on it. They also made rude comments about the planning permission for this extension (which dates back to the 70s! Before I was even born!) One neighbor even went to the iriya (municipality) to 'check' if the sukkah style roof we're adding to the balcony will add to our arnona....

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:12 am
Neighbors need to have easy roof access. You can't block that. You need to figure out a way for them to have easy access. Don't you have to ask Neighbors permission when doing renovations?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:33 am
amother Canary wrote:
Neighbors need to have easy roof access. You can't block that. You need to figure out a way for them to have easy access. Don't you have to ask Neighbors permission when doing renovations?

It sounds like the roof issue was like this before op moved in. And now they're just wanting to get up to the roof to see what she's doing on the inside

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:37 am
Yep, as Amber mentioned the roof issue has existed since before we bought it. They have access but are too old/lazy to go up the ladder

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Yep, as Amber mentioned the roof issue has existed since before we bought it. They have access but are too old/lazy to go up the ladder

It makes sense that what worked years ago when those people were young, doesn't work now anymore when they're older.
There needs to be easy roof access besides for the ladder or going through your balcony.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:49 am
What is on the roof that they so urgently need to get to?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:03 am
If your apartment/balcony is legally yours then that’s their issue that they/building ppl need to work on to update an easier way to get up.

For example if cutting through my backyard is easier for you to get to the street behind my house I don’t need to allow you to do it. It’s your issue to take the longer/ harder route. You would need to work on a plan to make it easier for you.

Yes I can choose to allow you to cut through my yard but I don’t need to. And I can decide when to say yes or no.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:11 am
I'd post a sign on my front door: "Roof access is through the stairwell ladder."

Obviously your neighbors need to find a way to get to the roof if they are not wiling to use the existing shared access route. What if one day somebody's dud shemesh breaks and you are out of town on vacation? Perhaps they can install one of those pull-down attic staircases if they don't want to climb the stairwell ladder. Maybe you can suggest this at the next vaad bayit meeting.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:12 am
I was really OK with them going up until it became a 'thing'- suddenly everyone wants to check their dud shemesh / air-conditioning / a leak / if they can see their sisters apartment from the roof (seriously). Then certain individuals started talking about the new young couple in the building who are clearly getting money from her family because she's a chutznik (not Israeli). At the same time, I can't tell a seventy-odd year old widow with arthritic knees to go use the ladder....

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:23 am
Could you donate a new staircase to the building instead of the ladder? Then lock your door and don't let anyone in.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I was really OK with them going up until it became a 'thing'- suddenly everyone wants to check their dud shemesh / air-conditioning / a leak / if they can see their sisters apartment from the roof (seriously). Then certain individuals started talking about the new young couple in the building who are clearly getting money from her family because she's a chutznik (not Israeli). At the same time, I can't tell a seventy-odd year old widow with arthritic knees to go use the ladder....

To peep at her sister's apartment? -- sure you can.

To check her dud, a/c, etc.? -- you can tell her to call a technician and he can use the ladder.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:31 am
Are you required to let them thru? If not and they want to check their dud, tell them to send an able bodied person up the ladder, whether a relative or a worker.
If it's feasible adding steps is a good idea. The building should pay since it's not your issue. But if you have the means and want it dealt with easily you can get that done for them.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:34 am
amother Peru wrote:
Are you required to let them thru? If not and they want to check their dud, tell them to send an able bodied person up the ladder, whether a relative or a worker.
If it's feasible adding steps is a good idea. The building should pay since it's not your issue. But if you have the means and want it dealt with easily you can get that done for them.

If she pays for it that may also mellow the neighbors. Or not, I guess.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:36 am
DrMom wrote:
I'd post a sign on my front door: "Roof access is through the stairwell ladder."

Obviously your neighbors need to find a way to get to the roof if they are not wiling to use the existing shared access route. What if one day somebody's dud shemesh breaks and you are out of town on vacation? Perhaps they can install one of those pull-down attic staircases if they don't want to climb the stairwell ladder. Maybe you can suggest this at the next vaad bayit meeting.

It doesn't make sense that the only access to the roof is through a ladder. That's not ok. If something needs to be fixed, how can they get equipment up there through a ladder?
If the building has a management, the neighbors needs to give in a claim about it.
If OP is illegally blocking roof access, then that needs to be taken care of by OP.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:37 am
How much does cost to fix the ladder situation and make a staircase instead?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:

Is that part of the balcony/roof access legally yours? Were the renovations done legally?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette