Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Chizuk Shabbatons - overpriced

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:40 pm
My husband has been learning with a chavrusa a certain learning program that has become famous world wide. A big shabbaton was recently posted for families who follow this program to join. The price in my opinion is astronomical for a shabbos. I think it's so absurd I'm considering writing the coordinator. I spoke to another wife and she agrees the price is completely cost prohibitive and both of our families have "money".

Would there be any benefit to reaching our and telling them how exclusive the pricing is?

It's 850/per person and 250/kid for a shabbos Fri-Sun.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:42 pm
Yeah, that sounds like a scam.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:48 pm
I'm not the type to ever go to Pesach hotels so I wasn't sure if I'm being cheap per usual or this price really is insane. How much are these shabbos get aways usually?

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:02 pm
Yes, we would have loved to attend this program as well. One of my husband's biggest gripes - that these opportunities and access to gedolim and these experiences are for the rich only.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:04 pm
If you or your husband are willing to work in some capacity, you may be able to go for free.

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:08 pm
A Shabbos in a decent hotel ranges from approx $1100-1400 per couple. (Don't know about kids) so $1700 is definitely but it also depends on how fancy the hotel is, and the same with the food. Plus they'll have a whole program besides

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband has been learning with a chavrusa a certain learning program that has become famous world wide. A big shabbaton was recently posted for families who follow this program to join. The price in my opinion is astronomical for a shabbos. I think it's so absurd I'm considering writing the coordinator. I spoke to another wife and she agrees the price is completely cost prohibitive and both of our families have "money".

Would there be any benefit to reaching our and telling them how exclusive the pricing is?

how much??? thats crazy! wow. For those of us in chinuch earning less than $100k between us each year, it would be impossible. Why are such opportunities just the domain of the wealthy?
I dont know what organization or program you are talking about, but even the torah umesorah shabbatons aimed at mechanchim are not affordable to us. The yeshiva only covers teh cost for my husband and hes not exactly going to go without me for shabbos. Kind of ironic.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
If you or your husband are willing to work in some capacity, you may be able to go for free.

And that is why they are so expensive.
All the overhead of all the people that go for free

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:14 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

Mind elaborating on this please? We don't need free but honestly I think it should be more than half the price. I looked at the hotel. For two nights it's appx 350. Where is the other 2000 dollars going? Regardless, point of my post. How nervy is it of me to write the organization. It is a HUGE organization. It's not because I want a discount, it's bigger than that.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

Thats dirt cheap
I received an invitation , dear eishes chayil and wife of Dirshu participant
Shabbos, M Malka , siyum and "activities for women"

995 plus taxes and tips

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:23 pm
I doubt anyone is making money off it.
Yes your room costs $350 for the weekend, what about all the printed material, the banquet space, the catering (upward of $150 per day per person sometimes), the entertainment/speakers. The question might be whether someone should be fundraising to make the cost more affordable, depending on their goals etc.
But it's not astronomical if they are charging what it costs them. It's tough and I don't think I could pay that for a Shabbaton but in case it helps with some of the resentment at what they are charging..( I help run some of these shabbatons and retreats and you'd be shocked at how much they cost..)

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:50 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Thats dirt cheap
I received an invitation , dear eishes chayil and wife of Dirshu participant
Shabbos, M Malka , siyum and "activities for women"

995 plus taxes and tips

$995 per couple is a good price for a nice hotel

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 10:57 pm
Shabbatons are a luxury. That’s why they aren’t cheap.
Just because the theme is chuzzuk doesn’t make it cheeper to run.
They need to pay wait staff, kitchen staff, party planner, kids programs. Rabbis, speakers, chazan the hotel for the dining rooms and shul, entertainment ect.
Lower end shabbatons cost around 1k per couple plus additional for each kid.
They are wining, dining you, taking care of your kids and giving you inspiration and entertainment.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Mind elaborating on this please? We don't need free but honestly I think it should be more than half the price. I looked at the hotel. For two nights it's appx 350. Where is the other 2000 dollars going? Regardless, point of my post. How nervy is it of me to write the organization. It is a HUGE organization. It's not because I want a discount, it's bigger than that.

I think some common jobs can be mashgiach or running children's programming. I'm not an expert on such things, but friends of mine have taken such jobs. It is usually a lot of work though.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:59 pm
All the organizations are like this. I had several people tell me that I must go to the Kesher Nagshi Shabbaton, it’s life-changing, etc., etc. Well, the cost of that one makes these sound like bargains. I guess it’s chizzuk for the rich and famous…

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:30 am
I would love to go to the Agudah convention. Even the cheapest deals are WAY beyond my capacity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics