Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Second night meal- quick to warm up

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:36 pm
What are you serving the second night? I’m looking for something that’s very quick to warm up, because I think I can’t start heating the food until after Shabbos is over.

In the past I’ve done fish at room temp but thinking of doing chicken or something else. Anyone have ideas?

Java

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:39 pm
It's not different from any other second night meal.... you can never start heating up food before the zman

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:40 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....26955

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:42 pm
I was thinking of making hamburgers, they are fast to make and everyone likes them. But not sure if it is B'kovodik for Yom Tov.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 3:05 pm
Steak salad with mango, avocado etc.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 3:26 pm
I will do chicken fingers, deli rolls and cabbage and noodles. It will have time to heat up while I set the table and we eat challah and fish. That will go in my oven which will be on 200. I’ll also have a small flame on the stove with a blech. Chicken soup heats up fast.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 3:49 pm
We'll probably do milchics second night. No one's going to be hungry, and we'll all appreciate a lighter meal. (We're in Israel, so second day Yom Tov only happens on Rosh HaShana and maybe one other time during the year.)

I'm thinking of a salatim course, which will be cold, then salmon and freshly boiled potatoes, which I can cook as soon as Shabbos goes out. A couple of cooked vegetables which I can heat up, and maybe a fresh salad. Then fruit and ice cream for dessert. As long as its all ready to go as soon as Shabbos goes out, it should be hot enough by rhe time we get to eat it.

I'm not sure if I'll do it, but one thing I've done in the past is prepare individual servings of salmon, seasoned and enclosed in a baking paper parcel. Then, on Yom Tov, I just put them directly on the platta, and they cook like that. Because it's individual portions they cook quickly, and the baking paper means they retain their moisture.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 3:53 pm
Meat board. Take it out of the refrigerator at the zman so it's room temperature for the meal.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:02 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
Meat board. Take it out of the refrigerator at the zman so it's room temperature for the meal.

I love this idea because I'm very inexperienced with preparing yuntif and even shabbos meals, but we're starting to stay home more often. Can someone tell me step by step what I can put in a meat board?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:26 pm
I always serve hot meat on the second night of yt. Make sure it’s defrosted (put it on the fridge before you light candles on Fri) and then on the blech or in the oven the minute it’s nacht.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:34 pm
Boring Gefilte fish
Chicken soup - heats much quicker than a thick soup
Shnitzel
Farfel
Broccoli
Fresh salad

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:34 pm
fresh shnitsel

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:35 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
I love this idea because I'm very inexperienced with preparing yuntif and even shabbos meals, but we're starting to stay home more often. Can someone tell me step by step what I can put in a meat board?

I'm doing oyster steak, london broil, NY strip steak, beef jerkey, salami chips, beef fry.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 5:04 pm
Regular meal, just remember to take it all out on Friday before shabbos. (so that it's not frozen)
It heats up quickly on my hot plate. You can only take a challa out after shabbos as well, so at nacht it's pretty hectic but once everything is in its place, I can light, and set the table etc.
We start the meal with challa and dips, but you can have punch to start with whilst you wait for the food to be ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur