Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to sub fresh basil for dry?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:19 pm
can I sub 1:1?

a tbs of fresh basil can I use a tbs of dry?

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:47 pm
It’s a completely different flavor. I would not use it at all if it’s not super important for the recipe. If it is then no not the same amount, as fresh basil would say “1/2 cup basil leaves” or “4 basil leaves”

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:49 pm
Use just a pinch instead of fresh. Taste and season up to 1/2 tsp depending on the recipe you're subbing for, and how much the recipe calls for.
Too much dried basil is awful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:51 pm
thanks.

what about the frozen cubes?

I hate using it cos all the added ingredients but if I have no choice can that be used?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:52 pm
is this the same for all dried vs fresh.

e.g dried parsley, cilantro doesnt taste the same as fresh and cant really be subbed in same amounts? or at all?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

e.g dried parsley, cilantro doesnt taste the same as fresh and cant really be subbed in same amounts? or at all?

Dried parsley is subbed on a 1 to 3 ratio. 1 tsp dry to 1 tbsp (3 tsp) fresh.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

Dried herbs are generally stronger flavor than fresh and you use less, like half the amount or less. To my palate, basil and cilantro taste different fresh vs dry. Not saying you can't use dried and I definitely have, it's just different. The frozen cubes work great and taste like the fresh.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:57 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Dried herbs are generally stronger flavor than fresh and you use less, like half the amount or less. To my palate, basil and cilantro taste different fresh vs dry. Not saying you can't use dried and I definitely have, it's just different. The frozen cubes work great and taste like the fresh.

ok. thanks.

are there any herbs that do taste the same though need smaller amounts? lets say parsley?

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
ok. thanks.

are there any herbs that do taste the same though need smaller amounts? lets say parsley?

Hopefully others can chime in. Parsley is not bad dry, but better fresh, has a clean, bright, refreshing flavor when fresh compared to dry.
Tarragon, thyme, oregano, lemon thyme, sage, and marjoram all taste about the same to me whether fresh or dried. Actually sage tastes better dried than fresh, to me. Dry dill is also ok if fresh isn't available but it's prettier and brighter flavor when fresh.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:03 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Hopefully others can chime in. Parsley is not bad dry, but better fresh, has a clean, bright, refreshing flavor when fresh compared to dry.
Tarragon, thyme, oregano, lemon thyme, sage, and marjoram all taste about the same to me whether fresh or dried. Actually sage tastes better dried than fresh, to me. Dry dill is also ok if fresh isn't available but it's prettier and brighter flavor when fresh.

thanks for info.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:11 pm
I never bother with fresh herbs. I substitute one teaspoon dried per one tablespoon fresh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:12 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I never bother with fresh herbs. I substitute one teaspoon dried per one tablespoon fresh

really?

never done it before and abit nervous to try...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:13 pm
It really depends on the recipe

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It really depends on the recipe

it calls for a tbs of basil fresh.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
it calls for a tbs of basil fresh.

It really depends on the ratio, how much of the recipe that tablespoon is and if it's raw, cooked, what the herb is flavoring.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 8:35 am
should really start a new thread but maybe will get a response here.

1/4 fresh parsley, how much would that be in the frozen cubes?

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:39 am
It really depends on the recipe AND the herb.

In my experience, you can't substitute dried basil for fresh basil because even fresh high quality dried basil has no flavor so you might as well sprinkle nothing on it.

Fresh basil has a very distinctive flavor.

I regularly substitute dried oregano and thyme for fresh because the dried herbs (if not old) impart the same flavor and I have never noticed a difference when I have used fresh versus dried.

Dried parsley is also worthless.

Some dried spices are critical to the end result - for example garlic powder (not garlic salt) is quite different than using fresh chopped garlic
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics