Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Severe reflux
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 8:49 pm
My baby has bad/severe reflux constant spitting up literally need to change him 4x a day laying position he’s uncomfortable so likes basically upright position. He barely gained weight past 6 weeks Cries a lot I had him on Pepcid now they changed to Prevacid. He’s on soy formula the milk based was terrible for him . Has anyone done something that actually worked??

marineparkmom

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 9:12 pm
That’s really hard! I had a baby with severe reflux. She was eventually switched to Nexium and Ellecare formula. She eventually outgrew it as a toddler. We did not have her laying flat ever during the day. She would sleep in a stroller only during the day and she did not lounge flat. Same with feeding her. I fed her once I’m front of the doctor and I thought she was upright the doctor yelled at me and said that’s not upright, upright means like sitting for these babies.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:31 pm
Always feed baby in sitting position, holding bottle horizontal to the floor. Keep baby upright for half hour after feeding.

Lots of kids who have a dairy allergy or intolerance are also sensitive to soy. My kids did well with Neocate.

Craniosacral therapy has saved my sanity. I highly highly recommend it for every unhappy baby.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Always feed baby in sitting position, holding bottle horizontal to the floor. Keep baby upright for half hour after feeding.

Lots of kids who have a dairy allergy or intolerance are also sensitive to soy. My kids did well with Neocate.

Craniosacral therapy has saved my sanity. I highly highly recommend it for every unhappy baby.

I feed him upright and he burps and he spits up all over. The doctor does not want me changing formulas very against it but I might have zero choice. I will maybe try cranisacral thanks

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:49 pm
My brothers were allergic to milk and soy. That would do it

marineparkmom

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:50 pm
How old is the baby?
Does upright mean sitting position? Is he using a bottle with too fast of a nipple? Is he congested before he eats- if so suction first is the answer. The real concern is lack of weight gain. The doctor says it’s only from the reflux?
Why doesn’t the doctor want you to try a specialized formula?

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
My baby has bad/severe reflux constant spitting up literally need to change him 4x a day laying position he’s uncomfortable so likes basically upright position. He barely gained weight past 6 weeks Cries a lot I had him on Pepcid now they changed to Prevacid. He’s on soy formula the milk based was terrible for him . Has anyone done something that actually worked??

Have you tried getting breast milk? How old is the baby?

marineparkmom

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 10:54 pm
Breast milk wouldn’t be the answer
She would need breast milk from a Dairy free soy free mom most likely
My baby had severe reflux on dairy free breast milk

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:19 pm
Don’t have the baby sleep on his back. I put a rolled up sheet under the mattress to make it elevated..

My baby was on Prevacid and Pepcid, can’t say it helped so well but it eventually passed.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:21 pm
marineparkmom wrote:
How old is the baby?
Does upright mean sitting position? Is he using a bottle with too fast of a nipple? Is he congested before he eats- if so suction first is the answer. The real concern is lack of weight gain. The doctor says it’s only from the reflux?
Why doesn’t the doctor want you to try a specialized formula?

Sitting position is upright I have the scent gas colic slow flow nipple takes him 1/2 hour to drink a bottle. He is not congested bh

Weight gain he said give it time with meds . I asked him again last week about specialized formula and he said again nope

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Don’t have the baby sleep on his back. I put a rolled up sheet under the mattress to make it elevated..

My baby was on Prevacid and Pepcid, can’t say it helped so well but it eventually passed.

His head is elevated and he’s on the side to sleep

How long did it take to eventually pass

marineparkmom

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:24 pm
After one years old it was better
By two years old she was really better and eating dairy all day

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:25 pm
marineparkmom wrote:
After one years old it was better
By two years old she was really better and eating dairy all day

My baby is 3 months old that’s still a long time away for me

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:28 pm
Hard to say exactly because we were also dealing with slow weight gain (still are..).

I stayed on the soy formula but thickened it with rice cereal for extra calories and I think that may have helped a bit.. honestly can’t say for sure, it has been one roller coaster ride. Sorry, I wish I could be more help!

It’s not fun, both for baby and mom. They say solids help sometimes.

I did have to rule out pyloric stenosis. Did the GI say anything about that?

marineparkmom

It’s hard but as the baby gets bigger the baby will get better. Baruch HaShem there are still options out there like specialized formula and other medicines and alternative medicine. It’s also really important to keep the baby away from germs and cold this winter. Because a cold will create phlegm and phlegm causes more vomiting and difficulty feeding.

amother
Burgundy

amother OP wrote:
Sitting position is upright I have the scent gas colic slow flow nipple takes him 1/2 hour to drink a bottle. He is not congested bh

Weight gain he said give it time with meds . I asked him again last week about specialized formula and he said again nope

Why is your dr so against trying the specialized formula? My pediatrician was very quick to recommend it and even offered samples.
I ended up trying soy and adding probiotic drops twice a day and b"h he's a happy baby since.
If your baby isn't gaining your Dr. should be pushing you to try anything that would help, I don't understand why he's against it.

I don't know how old your baby is but my baby is 2.5 months and it takes him a half hour to finish his 4oz bottle. I didn't think it's a problem.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Hard to say exactly because we were also dealing with slow weight gain (still are..).

I stayed on the soy formula but thickened it with rice cereal for extra calories and I think that may have helped a bit.. honestly can’t say for sure, it has been one roller coaster ride. Sorry, I wish I could be more help!

It’s not fun, both for baby and mom. They say solids help sometimes.

I did have to rule out pyloric stenosis. Did the GI say anything about that?

I wasn’t told to go to GI

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:31 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Why is your dr so against trying the specialized formula? My pediatrician was very quick to recommend it and even offered samples.
I ended up trying soy and adding probiotic drops twice a day and b"h he's a happy baby since.
If your baby isn't gaining your Dr. should be pushing you to try anything that would help, I don't understand why he's against it.

I don't know how old your baby is but my baby is 2.5 months and it takes him a half hour to finish his 4oz bottle. I didn't think it's a problem.

I’m x sure why he’s against specialized formula but I will maybe try and push him again for that this week

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:33 pm
Have you had her evaluated for oral ties by a very literate provider?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 14 2023, 11:34 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Have you had her evaluated for oral ties by a very literate provider?

Nope but he obviously don’t have an issue but also why would that cause reflux?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics