Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone exceeded predicted height naturally?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:10 pm
btw. short kids from short parents.

can it be that growth hormone deficiency is genetic?

why do doctors say "well parents are short so its genetic"?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:11 pm
I have two very short kids. I went to an endocrinologist who advised against growth hormone for them at this point. They are bh growing each year but just short. My dh was really short and had a growth spurt at 17 and is now 5-10. His brother was very similar as well and now is about 5-11. No hormones.
I would like to see if there is a vitamin to give them to help with growth but at this point not giving them hormones per pediatrician and endocrinologist. (He does give hormones to some ppl....my niece has been taking for a few years already)

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:11 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
but they can be gh deficient today but in 6 month time levels may be ok.

That’s why they make you come back every few months. We tested for 3 years to see that it was consistently deficient before starting growth hormones.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
It can’t be that gh shots just help them reach the same height at a younger age. It must actually help them reach a greater height, or why in the world would insurance ever cover it? And why would anyone even private pay, if results would be same in the end whether shots are given or not.
No, they actually are meant to add height where it wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

100% it adds height

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:12 pm
delayed growth and not deficient is constitutional growth delay.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:14 pm
So much misinformation here. It’s not a game, it involves testing that is followed for years, diagnosis, fighting insurance and continued follow ups. And growth hormones are to add height that wouldn’t be there. No one cares if a kid is just slow to grow, if they are growing on their own curve they will likely not qualify.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:15 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
So much misinformation here. It’s not a game, it involves testing that is followed for years, diagnosis, fighting insurance and continued follow ups. And growth hormones are to add height that wouldn’t be there. No one cares if a kid is just slow to grow, if they are growing on their own curve they will likely not qualify.

thanks. needed to hear this.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:17 pm
I am 3 inches taller than predicted growth hight.
I was supposed to be at most 5 feet. I’m 5”3.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
100% it adds height

Only if deficient in GH.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:19 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Only if deficient in GH.

correct but I dont understand why?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:26 pm
The height prediction isn't that accurate. When they did it for my dd, they took mine and dh's heights and made an average and said she could be within 10cm either side of the average. They won't really know.
My family is all on shorter side, so the dr is saying it's just genetics and all testing seems to indicate that there isn't any underlying issues.
She's still young so we're going to see how she grows. The impression I got was that taking growth hormones will only help if there's a deficiency. If it's just genetics and that's the height they're supposed to be, then it won't really help.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Only if deficient in GH.

That goes without saying. The only kids that should be given hormones are those with a deficiency. There is no reason to give otherwise.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
correct but I dont understand why?

Because the shots add the missing hormones that’s all it does. So if it’s not deficient it’s a waste of time.

honey36

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Brown wrote:
The height prediction isn't that accurate. When they did it for my dd, they took mine and dh's heights and made an average and said she could be within 10cm either side of the average. They won't really know.
My family is all on shorter side, so the dr is saying it's just genetics and all testing seems to indicate that there isn't any underlying issues.
She's still young so we're going to see how she grows. The impression I got was that taking growth hormones will only help if there's a deficiency. If it's just genetics and that's the height they're supposed to be, then it won't really help.

Interesting. But I assume the deficiency would also be correlated with genetics most of the time. Is it as common for kids with tall parents to be deficient as it is for kids with short parents?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
That goes without saying. The only kids that should be given hormones are those with a deficiency. There is no reason to give otherwise.

I thought some people put kids on growth hormone also if they are predicted to be very short? Even if they arent deficient.
Am I wrong?

Librarian

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
My son was also short and is now taller than me still growing at 16. This is interesting re: age 20! That would be wild!

GH would likely have meant that your Aunt’s son would have got to the same height but possibly quicker. GH allows kids to grow at the same pace as their peers Vs later as in this case. It doesn’t usually add height they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

I am so happy I didn’t go the GH route.

This is not true. It has nothing to do with Pace! If someone is GH deficient they will not grow to their predicted height. No doctor we consulted ever mentioned the possibility of GH "kicking in" at a later date. And even it such a thing is possible, how could a parent take such a chance? By the time you would know if it does or not it would be too late for GHR! If my son would not have taken GHR therapy he would have been 5'2"! With GHR he surpassed his predicted height by an inch and is 5'9". My son who is 5'6" was not GH deficient so he did not get GHR. 5'6" is a normal height. 5'2" is not.
Also, for those stating that the testing is invasive I don't see what is so invasive about the test. It's a few hours, a few blood tests. And an MRI if deficient. I am not saying my son was happy to do it but it is far from invasive.

Last edited by Librarian on Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought some people put kids on growth hormone also if they are predicted to be very short? Even if they arent deficient.
Am I wrong?

People do stupid things. Insurance wouldn’t cover it. Maybe some pay out of pocket but it’s expensive and a waste of time. But like I said people do stupid things when they have money to splurge.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:49 pm
I took DD to a pediatric endocrinologist when she was 10, and the doctor predicted that my DD would be 5'1 without growth hormones (based on her bone age and bloodwork). She felt that was sufficient for a girl. And she's exactly that.

ETA she actually grew that last inch when she was 19. Had to redo her wardrobe, everything was suddenly short....

Last edited by Chayalle on Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:50 pm
Librarian wrote:
This is not true. It has nothing to do with Pace! If someone is GH deficient they will not grow to their predicted height. No doctor we consulted ever mentioned the possibility of GH "kicking in" at a later date. And even it such a thing is possible, how could a parent take such a chance? By the time you would know if it does or not it would be too late for GHR! If my son would not have taken GHR therapy he would have been 5'2"! With GHR he surpassed his predicted height by an inch and is 5'9". My son who is 5'6" was not GH deficient so he did not get GHR. 5'6" is a normal height. 5'2" is not.
Also, for those stating that the testing is invasive I don't see what is so invasive about the test. It's a few hours, a few blood tests. And an MRI if deficient. I am not saying my son was happy to do it but it is far from invasive.

We found the testing rough. Because of hours and amount of testing. And MRI is not fun. It’s not invasive like surgery but it’s nothing to laugh at either.

Librarian

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
People do stupid things. Insurance wouldn’t cover it. Maybe some pay out of pocket but it’s expensive and a waste of time. But like I said people do stupid things when they have money to splurge.

Expensive? It's $15000 a month! And there has to be a doctor willing to prescribe and monitor. My son was GH deficient and he was monitored for side effects. The Dr. made it clear that no matter what, at any sign of any side effect the therapy would be discontinued. So I am skeptical about a Dr. who would prescribe GHR therapy for no good reason.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics