Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Aliza
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:14 pm
Is the name Aliza a normal name is yeshivish American communities?

What about in Israeli charedi communities?

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:18 pm
American Yeshivish yes. Not super common but still normal.

Can't speak for Israel.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:18 pm
Yes and yes.
It’s a beautiful name. Look up simcha in Avos D’Rabi Nosson. Aliza is included.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:36 pm
Quote:

What is that?
When I suggest the name I can feel DH saying it’s too modern, but I felt it was accepted in yeshivish circles

I saw a thread from a years ago that Aliza was like an elderly name like Gertrude

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:39 pm
Rav chaim kanievsky had a relative with the name aliza. I don't remember if it was a daughter or sister

Busybee5

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:48 pm
I love the name!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:57 pm
Quote:

Rav chaim kanievsky had a relative with the name aliza. I don't remember if it was a daughter or sister

Say no more!

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:06 pm
One of Rav Elyashiv's daughters was named Aliza.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quote:

What is that?
When I suggest the name I can feel DH saying it’s too modern, but I felt it was accepted in yeshivish circles

I saw a thread from a years ago that Aliza was like an elderly name like Gertrude

Aliza is totally not like Gertrude. Not anywhere in America or UK. Maybe in certain groups in Israel, I’m not sure about that. I think the names that were like Gertrude were Geulah and Mazal. In certain groups in Israel there are a lot of Mazal and Geulahs in their mid 60’s or older, and none under 20. Aliza is a beautiful name and very accepted.

wiki

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:43 pm
I think Aliza was a lot more common in America for girls born in the 1980s than nowadays, which would make it generationally-dated not like Gertude or Bertha, but more like Amanda or Jennifer.

But no question it's a conventional, pretty name that would sound entirely normal in a pretty wide range of Orthodox communities.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quote:

What is that?

Oh my goodness I also just saw that thread (we had named our daughter Aliza -very recently) and freaked out. I think the people saying that it’s an “old lady name” on the thread were 1. From more DL communities in Israel specifically. 2. They were also saying that about names that are considered totally contemporary nowadays-likely made a comeback-like ahuva. Ahuva (and Aliza) are not old lady names at all in the yeshivish, American community.
We are not very “yeshivish” but certainly part of the yeshiva community and it’s a very normal (and gorgeous) name here.
Gotta take things on this site with a grain of salt (seen That thread about the name Rivka and how it’s only for strong willed people blah blah).

Hatzlacha!

yellowroses

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:11 pm
wiki wrote:
I think Aliza was a lot more common in America for girls born in the 1980s than nowadays, which would make it generationally-dated not like Gertude or Bertha, but more like Amanda or Jennifer.

But no question it's a conventional, pretty name that would sound entirely normal in a pretty wide range of Orthodox communities.

Gertrude and Bertha are real old German names 😂 funny that they were considered Jewish.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:13 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Oh my goodness I also just saw that thread (we had named our daughter Aliza -very recently) and freaked out. I think the people saying that it’s an “old lady name” on the thread were 1. From more DL communities in Israel specifically. 2. They were also saying that about names that are considered totally contemporary nowadays-likely made a comeback-like ahuva. Ahuva (and Aliza) are not old lady names at all in the yeshivish, American community.
We are not very “yeshivish” but certainly part of the yeshiva community and it’s a very normal (and gorgeous) name here.
Gotta take things on this site with a grain of salt (seen That thread about the name Rivka and how it’s only for strong willed people blah blah).

Hatzlacha!

Ok also adding..I kind of like the fact that I don’t know a million Aliza’s under 5 Smile

Shuly

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:37 am
Rav Elyashiv's daughter (Rav Chaim's sister-in-law) was Aliza Shoshana Zilberstein.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:44 am
My Aliza, now in her 30s, is a Bais Yaakov teacher - and her name, carefully chosen, is stunning.
Just my two cents-

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:55 am
Can I ask what your daughters second name is?

salt

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:06 am
There's a kid's playground song in Israel that they sing while bouncing a ball that goes
הברוזה עליזה
אותי מאד הרגיזה
אותי מאד הרגיזה
הברוזה עליזה

For me it has those connotations.

Any Aliza's in Israel are either 50 plus, or girls with American parents.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 1:52 am
I’m Lakewood-yeshivish and can think of quite a few Alizas I know, all ages. Not super common but totally normal.

Tof Umachol

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:36 am
I think Aliza is a pretty name. In Israel, though, it does have an "old-fashioned" vibe. Except among Anglos, I guess.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:51 am
We give our kids old lady names, they are fine and like their names. So if you like it, Aliza is a beautiful name with a beautiful meaning!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names