Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Where to apply

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:03 am
Hi all,
My daughter is still struggling to figure out where to apply. She really likes Kesser chaya and that will be her first choice but honestly there are no other places that really stand out to us. She is yeshivish, growth oriented, but doesn’t have the grades to get in to any of the academic seminaries. We are not interested in Kitov or Rinas. We are leaning toward bnos Avigayil (but we heard the classes aren’t so interesting … correct me please!!), and BYA but she doesn’t think she’ll get in there. Are there any other places to consider? Hadar I think is too yeshivish.
Thank you!!

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:14 am
It’s a hard niche.
You could say Kitov, BYA, prob same level
Bnos Chava, slightly cooler
Nachlas, seminar slightly more yeshivish.
Don’t know about new seminaries bnos Shoshana and haveneini.
Maybe someone can say where they fit in.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:30 am
When I was in bnos Avigayil the classes were definitely interesting. Intellectual. Not spec very yeshivish.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:31 am
amother Azalea wrote:
It’s a hard niche.
You could say Kitov, BYA, prob same level
Bnos Chava, slightly cooler
Nachlas, seminar slightly more yeshivish.
Don’t know about new seminaries bnos Shoshana and haveneini.
Maybe someone can say where they fit in.

Isn’t bnos chava academic?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi all,
My daughter is still struggling to figure out where to apply. She really likes Kesser chaya and that will be her first choice but honestly there are no other places that really stand out to us. She is yeshivish, growth oriented, but doesn’t have the grades to get in to any of the academic seminaries. We are not interested in Kitov or Rinas. We are leaning toward bnos Avigayil (but we heard the classes aren’t so interesting … correct me please!!), and BYA but she doesn’t think she’ll get in there. Are there any other places to consider? Hadar I think is too yeshivish.
Thank you!!

The bolded describes my niece who went to Seminar last year.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:39 am
Chayalle wrote:
The bolded describes my niece who went to Seminar last year.

Actually these days Seminar is quite competitive to get into. Seminar is a good "reach" seminary for OP's daughter, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:47 am
amother Ivory wrote:
Actually these days Seminar is quite competitive to get into. Seminar is a good "reach" seminary for OP's daughter, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

Yes I know. But OP is asking for other options, and I think Seminar makes sense.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:55 am
I don't know too much about it but maybe Nishmas is an option?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 9:58 am
OP I say you should apply to BYA. You can get in there with poor grades as long as the school vouches for you _ on effort responsibility emotional and social health.

peace2

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:05 am
Chemdas? I know they have a new principal in the past few years and it got a little less intense in terms of the crowd.
I think Bnos Avigayil's classes are tailored for a specific type of thinker - I've heard they're a bit dry and very focused on primary sources - some people really appreciate learning that way but some find it boring

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:11 am
Bnos Shoshana was recommended to her also. Does anybody know anything about it?
Seminar is totally out. Way too academic for her.
Bnos Avigayil yes less yeshividh than what she wants but as long as it’s a growing environmet… would be a third choice.
Still need a second choice and not sold on BYA for a variety of reasons

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:16 am
Someone here once gave what I think is really good advice.
Apply where your daughter fits in socially. If it’s too academic, she won’t do so well and that’s ok. She’ll still gain from the atmosphere and being with like minded girls.
No academic school has only academic girls.
Or you could risk it and only apply to Kesser Chaya and let them and your high school principal know that that is your only choice.
Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:25 am
Honestly she wouldn’t pass her classes and she needs to get college credits so as much as I agree socially seminar would be the best fit I don’t think it’s practical…
She also doesn’t want to have to work extremely hard .
It’s a shame that there aren’t so many non academic options .

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Honestly she wouldn’t pass her classes and she needs to get college credits so as much as I agree socially seminar would be the best fit I don’t think it’s practical…
She also doesn’t want to have to work extremely hard .
It’s a shame that there aren’t so many non academic options .

My niece isn't academic at all, but a real personality. She got in on her school's recommendation - her mechaneches told them - she's the type of girl you want in your seminary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info