Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Unsifted flour?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 02 2008, 3:20 pm
would you eat in the house of someone who doesnt sift their flour? what circles are you? (MO? Yeshivish? Chassidish?)

Aidelmom

Post Sat, Aug 02 2008, 3:30 pm
1. In America I don't sift the flour myself. Neither do my parents.

2. In Israel I sift. According to the booklet based on R' Vaye's shiurim, flour falls into the category that bidieved is ok(when you can't check it anymore), so if I was in someone's house that had baked something with unsifted flour I would eat it.

I am Yeshivish

shosh

Post Sat, Aug 02 2008, 3:32 pm
I once asked a Rav over here about the flour, and he said if it's eidah hachareidis hechsher, I could use it unsifted bidieved, but that it is very important to sift it before using it.

freidasima

Post Sat, Aug 02 2008, 4:58 pm
Do you actually go and ask people if they sift their flour?

BTW what I was told is that bugs can't live in white flour anyhow here in EY and that you have to worry more about whole wheat flour which must be sifted no matter what.

Anyone here ever find bugs in white flour? I never have...and of course I sift with the fine mesh plastic sifter...

Pineapple

Post Sat, Aug 02 2008, 11:03 pm
freidasima wrote:
Anyone here ever find bugs in white flour? I never have...and of course I sift with the fine mesh plastic sifter...

Yep I did once - in america I've seen it in israel as well

Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:10 am
freidasima wrote:
Do you actually go and ask people if they sift their flour?

BTW what I was told is that bugs can't live in white flour anyhow here in EY and that you have to worry more about whole wheat flour which must be sifted no matter what.

I recently found a ton of bugs in a bag of white flour. It was the only bag from the whole case but boy was it infested. Yuck. (In Israel)

TAPS

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:14 am
Definitely found black wormy bugs in white flour in Israel. It was gross. But I was just wondering what we end up eating when people aren't careful.

Marion

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:30 am
Yeah, I also want to know how you'd know if the flour wasn't sifted?

mom21n2

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:21 pm
Pineapple wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Yes, found bugs in white flour, in Brooklyn, kosher brand Puke

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:59 pm
I occasionally find.

I'm in England.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:04 pm
Although I always sift the flour at home, I would eat by someone who doesn't. I think most bakeries and companies dont sift. (In the U.S.) And yes, I have definitely found worms in the flour, so I really cant understand how so many people dont sift. Confused

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:13 pm
mom21n2 wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Yes, found bugs in white flour, in Brooklyn, kosher brand Puke

bugs dont know the dif. btw kosher or not if you sift you might find if you DONT sift youll NEVER find! Wink Wink
anyway my mother grew up in isreal and was tought that flour standing overnight unsifted has worms then it deffenetly did by now my aunt who live there say they dont see as many as they used to however they all sift and often find worms and even here in canada weve found alot of times of course cuz we sift imagine if it wasnt sifted YUK!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen