Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Could this all add up to a diagnosis?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:29 pm
8 yr old boy, in 3rd grade, youngest in the class.

-extremely picky eater
-sucks thumb a lot (never in front of friends or at school)
-very disorganized, always losing/forgetting things
-terrible handwriting and cutting skills
-smart but rushes through schoolwork and makes silly mistakes as a result
-struggles with playdates and they often end in fights, but I absolutely can't blame it all on him... it's a classwide issue according to every teacher they've had
-extremely low pain tolerance and seems a little overly prone to injury (minor things like tripping and falling, getting hit by balls...)
-gets upset very easily and doesn't want to be comforted- will run to his room and yell "go away" if my husband or I come to try to talk to him

ADHD has obviously occurred to me, on the other hand I've never once had a teacher complain about his attentiveness or focus. Or ability to stay in his seat or anything like that...

Is there something else it could be? In your opinion does this warrant an evaluation?

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:33 pm
Sensory processing disorder. I would go for an eval with a really good OT.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:36 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Sensory processing disorder. I would go for an eval with a really good OT.

So I should have said we've gone for OT evals twice and both times were told he didn't qualify for services. But they always asked him to do writing/cutting tasks that were much easier than what school required of him at that grade level. And didn't seem to care if the shapes were cut messily...

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:39 pm
Has he ever had a developmental vision exam done?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:19 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
Has he ever had a developmental vision exam done?

Interesting. I don't think so, unless this would be included in an OT evaluation? The OT did mention testing for things like tracking, converging/diverging... he's had regular vision exams done at well visits many times without issue.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:37 am
My child was exactly like this. Needed glasses badly so rule that out asap. Also needed ot and pt. I’d push really hard for it.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 4:49 am
Could be dyspraxia (also called Developmental coordination disorder).

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:40 am
amother OP wrote:
8 yr old boy, in 3rd grade, youngest in the class.

-extremely picky eater
-sucks thumb a lot (never in front of friends or at school)
-very disorganized, always losing/forgetting things
-terrible handwriting and cutting skills
-smart but rushes through schoolwork and makes silly mistakes as a result
-struggles with playdates and they often end in fights, but I absolutely can't blame it all on him... it's a classwide issue according to every teacher they've had
-extremely low pain tolerance and seems a little overly prone to injury (minor things like tripping and falling, getting hit by balls...)
-gets upset very easily and doesn't want to be comforted- will run to his room and yell "go away" if my husband or I come to try to talk to him

ADHD has obviously occurred to me, on the other hand I've never once had a teacher complain about his attentiveness or focus. Or ability to stay in his seat or anything like that...

Is there something else it could be? In your opinion does this warrant an evaluation?

Your son is an 8 year old kid who's a picky eater.
Like most people adults included he has habits he does not do in public.
Isn't the most organised creature on the planet.
And when he's upset he likes to be alone till he calms down.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:42 am
The only thing I can see in your entire post is that he might have a hard time The only thing I can see in your entire post is that he might have a hard time with fine motor skills. And that's because it looks like your looking for problems.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:42 am
The only thing I can see in your entire post is that he might have a hard time The only thing I can see in your entire post is that he might have a hard time with fine motor skills. And that's because it looks like your looking for problems.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:04 am
Would you consider a private OT evaluation?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:34 am
School based evaluations basically look at skills needed in school I e. writing. A private eval looks at sensory and core strength and primitive reflexes. It's a totally different thing. And he sounds sensory imh.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. I don't think so, unless this would be included in an OT evaluation? The OT did mention testing for things like tracking, converging/diverging... he's had regular vision exams done at well visits many times without issue.
Well visits include a vision screening, but not an exam. Either way you need a specialized vision exam that looks at those things like tracking and convergence. Look for a fcovd certified optometrist.

Success10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:41 am
I think you should avoid a diagnosis and just try to help him in the areas where he struggles. And I usually like to call everything ADD on these threads. But it's not always helpful to label if he's basically OK.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:43 am
amother OP wrote:
So I should have said we've gone for OT evals twice and both times were told he didn't qualify for services. But they always asked him to do writing/cutting tasks that were much easier than what school required of him at that grade level. And didn't seem to care if the shapes were cut messily...

With private OT you don't have to qualify for anything - the therapist works towards goals that you feel are important. If you want to address the concerns in your post, that would be my number one recommendation. If you really were just curious about whether they are part of a bigger picture but feel he is managing fine, then I do think they're all related to sensory processing.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:43 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
Would you consider a private OT evaluation?

I recommend the Guttmann sisters if you are going down that road. Saved us so much wasted time till we got to them

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:45 am
Picky eater, sucks thumb, low pain tolerance, poor handwriting -- these all can be possible SPD and point towards OT evaluation.

More disorganized than peers, poor handwriting, rushes through work faster than peers -- these are signs of execution functioning challenges. Before looking into ADHD and the like, check again with his rebbes/teachers, to see where he sits on the curve. Are your expectations age appropriate, or is he struggling compared to his classmates?

And definitely another vote for private OT evaluation. The schools aren't looking for additional "customers".

scintilla

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:10 am
Definitely sounds sensory based, the fact that you didn't qualify for OT unfortunately means nothing since they do not look at sensory processing. As others have said you need a private OT consult and I also recommend the Guttman sisters. Haven't used them personally but have learnt a lot from them.

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:18 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I recommend the Guttmann sisters if you are going down that road. Saved us so much wasted time till we got to them

I second this. Looks like he could use their services for sensory and reflex issues

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:28 am
Op are you specifically looking for govt funded help for your child? Because if you feel he requires some OT to help him succeed just take him to one?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)