Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Anyone have Amish costumes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:32 pm
I know it’s early! I’m thinking of dressing up as Amish for Purim. Before I order costumes I’d like to see if anyone has done it before and can help me out.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:40 pm
We did it last year but bought each piece separately. Happy to tell you what we got Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 11:47 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
We did it last year but bought each piece separately. Happy to tell you what we got Smile

Thank you. What age/ gender are your children? I’d love to hear what you got and where you got it from.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. What age/ gender are your children? I’d love to hear what you got and where you got it from.

We are a young couple with a baby. Basically got everything from Amazon.

DH wore a white linen type button down shirt, suspenders, rugged pants and an Amish straw hat. He also shaved his mustache and kept the beard.

I wore a long printed dress, white apron, and a white Amish bonnet thing.

Baby wore a cute outfit with a bonnet.

You could really apply to any age. I would look up the style on google and then find everything on Amazon.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:16 am
Amish women generally wear solid dresses, not printed dresses. Solid black, blue, dark green, maroon, with an apron over it.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:42 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Amish women generally wear solid dresses, not printed dresses. Solid black, blue, dark green, maroon, with an apron over it.

I've seen both. And there is an Amish town not far from where I live. Definitely some printed dresses and color.

It's the look WE wanted to go for. Again, you can google and find the look you want.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:43 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
I've seen both. And there is an Amish town not far from where I live. Definitely some printed dresses and color.

Interesting, I've never seen that in any of the Amish communities we visited.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:48 am
amother Clematis wrote:

I did some research and it's true, generally the Amish wear a single color. It's Mennonites that wear patterns. Very similar in look.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:51 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
I did some research and it's true, generally the Amish wear a single color. It's Mennonites that wear patterns. Very similar in look.

Oh, that's interesting.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:59 pm
Ok,so I have a few children between 2-10. Where can I find authentic looking dresses without spending a fortune ? I did find a woman who sews custom for about $20. But that adds up and I’m afraid it won’t work out with the measurements I need to take etc.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:23 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Print dresses may be Mennonite. It's a separate sect with similar beliefs in pacifism and adult baptism. The Amish split off from the Mennonites in the late 1600s because they felt the Mennonites were too worldly and too lax.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:36 pm
Boys: plain black pants, blue shirts, suspenders, straw hats with flat crowns and brims and black hat bands, or similar hats in black felt. Hide the buttons or replace with hooks and eyes.

Girls: long dark skirts with A line shape, not skinny or slinky, matching blouses with voluminous sleeves, hide the buttons, white organdy prayer kapps or dark bonnets, long pinafore-style aprons. Hair in twin braids o tight buns under the head covering. Amish wear dresses with the skirt and bodice often pinned together, but skirt and blouse will be easier to find.

You can probably find a kapp or bonnet pattern online and make them yourself.

sara1232

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok,so I have a few children between 2-10. Where can I find authentic looking dresses without spending a fortune ? I did find a woman who sews custom for about $20. But that adds up and I’m afraid it won’t work out with the measurements I need to take etc.

Check aliexpress and temu.
You can get full costumes for extremely cheap.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:30 pm
Please promise me that those of you trying to find Amish "costumes" would not be offended to see "Chassidic Costumes" on Ali or Temu or Shein. If you would be upset finding costumes consisting of a kepah, a fake streimel with payos, and long black coats, then you should not have your family in another religion's dress. That's called cultural appropriation and it's not a nice thing to do.

meyerlemon44

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:38 pm
Do you guys like it when people dress up as Jews with cheesy peyos?

sara1232

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Please promise me that those of you trying to find Amish "costumes" would not be offended to see "Chassidic Costumes" on Ali or Temu or Shein. If you would be upset finding costumes consisting of a kepah, a fake streimel with payos, and long black coats, then you should not have your family in another religion's dress. That's called cultural appropriation and it's not a nice thing to do.

Why would I be offended if someone dresses as a chassid🙄 youre all are way to sensitive come on

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:46 pm
amother Almond wrote:

I would actually not be offended at all.

If I saw a little non-Jewish boy dressed with payos on halloween, I would laugh and take a picture. How cute!

Sounds like you all need to join the liberals with all their cultural appropriation talk. FYI there are videos on youtube of people dressing up as stereotypical chinese people and going into colleges asking if this is okay to do. They obviously get ripped to shreds. They then go to China town and ask the people over there and they all say "great outfit!" It doesn't bother them at all.

sara1232

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:52 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
I would actually not be offended at all.

If I saw a little non-Jewish boy dressed with payos on halloween, I would laugh and take a picture. How cute!

Sounds like you all need to join the liberals with all their cultural appropriation talk. FYI there are videos on youtube of people dressing up as stereotypical chinese people and going into colleges asking if this is okay to do. They obviously get ripped to shreds. They then go to China town and ask the people over there and they all say "great outfit!" It doesn't bother them at all.

Idk what's happened to this website. It's full of libs patrolling and looking for things to be offended by.

newlywed5

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:53 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:

It's the look WE wanted to go for. Again, you can google and find the look you want.

They are Mennonites not Amish...

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 2:59 pm
Th amish sell their clothing as costumes so if you buy from their sites you support them.

And there is no negative stereotype involved so it’s not offensive. Any Jewish costume that is respectful and not negative is not offensive either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics