Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What therapy for moms of level 1 autistic
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:44 pm
I'm taking a course and the instructor said that for autism spectrum you may need to support yourself with therapy. I'm wondering if you have a child on the spectrum (he is difficult to deal with - reminds me of similar characteristic to a family member that has bpd.) how do you support yourself. What therapy? Is there a therapist that specializes in moms of autistic kids. Dealing with boundaries, rigid behavior, difficult in social situations. My son has got help over the years (now we put a pause on that due to financial reasons) but wondering if something I can do that is covered by insurance for me.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:40 pm
See if there is a support group for you

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:44 pm
TY - there was an online group started by someone on imamother but that group just fizzled out. I so wish to have an online support for women like me.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 7:40 pm
following. wld love a support grp!

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:09 pm
I've got twin teens with autism.

Some friends and I have a support group on skype once a week at 9 pm. Friendship Circle moms in my area have a mom's meeting every other Tuesday morning at 10 am. My son has talk therapy every Tuesday afternoon and I join him. I'd say a good 10-15 minutes of the session is for ME most weeks. Smile So I feel like it's a good amount of support for me. Having said that, my life is INCREDIBLY complicated. One twin has a HUGE side order of aggression with his autism and the other twin has a really messed up colon and just had another surgery and now has an ostomy and will likely have another surgery down the road (not to re-connect, but to remove the colon). I haven't worked full time since long before they were born 17 years ago. Being their mom is more than a full time job.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:11 pm
There’s also friendship circle in my area. There are also Facebook groups for parents that can be a good support.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:54 am
there is an amazing, amazing support group out there for frum moms of complex kids.
go to drilyssabass.com
her course is amazing and life changing. after completing the course you can join the support group for real time support from moms just like you.
you can ask me any questions here.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 4:54 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm taking a course and the instructor said that for autism spectrum you may need to support yourself with therapy. I'm wondering if you have a child on the spectrum (he is difficult to deal with - reminds me of similar characteristic to a family member that has bpd.) how do you support yourself. What therapy? Is there a therapist that specializes in moms of autistic kids. Dealing with boundaries, rigid behavior, difficult in social situations. My son has got help over the years (now we put a pause on that due to financial reasons) but wondering if something I can do that is covered by insurance for me.

I am part of the membership that the guttmann sisters started last year. It is such a supportive group. The membership is closed now (only opens once a year) but I got in after taking their course the self-regulated life. They are running it now. May be worthwhile to look into. Was life changing for me. https://handsonapproaches.com/.....life/

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 6:35 am
amother Sienna wrote:
I am part of the membership that the guttmann sisters started last year. It is such a supportive group. The membership is closed now (only opens once a year) but I got in after taking their course the self-regulated life. They are running it now. May be worthwhile to look into. Was life changing for me. https://handsonapproaches.com/.....life/

It looks very tempting to sign up
But the session times don’t always work for my schedule.
Before I reserve a spot, Cz they have an early bird sign up special, can I listen to a recording instead of attending the class ?

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 6:38 am
amother Sienna wrote:

Can you tell us what was life changing for you?

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 6:41 am
Op I don’t want to derail your thread - I was interested in the self regulation course that was posted above.

BUT to answer your question about the support needed for yourself, yes I agree that what’s needed, esp in the beginning, is a support group with like minded moms of kids on spectrum

Mine is 19 now & I feel I don’t need that anymore but in beginning I did

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:32 am
amother Peony wrote:
It looks very tempting to sign up
But the session times don’t always work for my schedule.
Before I reserve a spot, Cz they have an early bird sign up special, can I listen to a recording instead of attending the class ?

The classes themselves are recorded. Not sure if they have a sample class to listen to but you can always ask them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:35 am
amother Sienna wrote:
The classes themselves are recorded. Not sure if they have a sample class to listen to but you can always ask them.

do you get the recordings after the course is over and are the 2 live courses recorded?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:37 am
amother Peony wrote:
Can you tell us what was life changing for you?

Sure. My perspective about my current situation and the way I relate to myself, my husband and kids. The whole idea that my life and responses are unique to me with the tools to be able to relate to those in my life who have a different brain profile - very powerful.

I went into this trying to help myself be less reactive and figure out how to deal with my child. I now am able to deal and find real tools to actually help him function fully. In dealing with day to day tasks, maneuvering the therapists/teachers, social situations. I understand his unique brain profile and I don’t feel like I’m wasting time.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:39 am
amother OP wrote:
do you get the recordings after the course is over and are the 2 live courses recorded?

There were actually 4 live courses and yeah - they were recorded. We had access to them afterwards but I don’t remember for how long. Definitely email them. They gave a handout for a reminder. I may do it again now. They always change it up and give more tools from what I understand.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:54 am
Support groups are really helpful.

So much of the "normal" parenting doesn't work as well for our kids, and it's easy to feel disheartened.

Any situation is good that gets you talking to others who have BTDT, and, most importantly, can tell you all the ways that you are doing an amazing job. That chizuk is like water in the desert.

Check out the AANE parent support groups online, they don't cost much and can really help.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:19 am
I'm desperate for a parenting course for this. I take tons of parenting courses read so many books and they just don't apply. I have a lot of support but I need real advice. I need to learn how to parent my AuDHD children. Where are the courses and therapies for the parents of ND kids???

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:20 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
there is an amazing, amazing support group out there for frum moms of complex kids.
go to drilyssabass.com
her course is amazing and life changing. after completing the course you can join the support group for real time support from moms just like you.
you can ask me any questions here.

Is this for kids on the spectrum/neurodivergent specifically?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:30 am
lamplighter wrote:
I'm desperate for a parenting course for this. I take tons of parenting courses read so many books and they just don't apply. I have a lot of support but I need real advice. I need to learn how to parent my AuDHD children. Where are the courses and therapies for the parents of ND kids???

This is why I am grateful for what I am learning with the guttmann sisters. They are constantly teaching how you have to change the language and approach based on the brain profile of whom you are parenting. They have a lot of free talks on Friday. You should listen to them and see if it helps you. They specialize in neurodivergent.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:32 am
lamplighter wrote:

Have you tried nurtured heart?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)