Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How easily addressed is this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:15 pm
First my son, then my daughter.

Schools feel that they’re good sweet kids, just in their own world not grounded. Like bumping into kids or dropping pencil shavings on the next kids desk without being aware. And the kids get annoyed and don’t like them😢.

I can see what the school means. Both schools suggested OT.

anyone relate? Can the OT really address this? Or is it a nature that will mature with age?

I have no issue paying out of pocket if this is truly effective.

My son is going one time a week to an OT at a center but I don’t feel it’s helping. I have a feeling he needs private more expert help, even a few sessions

Anyone have any input?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:21 pm
Speaking as an OT, it can help provided u have a good one. Working on skills like body awareness (propreoception) so they don't bump into things/ppl. Imo from the little blurb school based will be helpful so as to address issues in the environment but private can be helpful as well (just harder to transfer skills from a diff environment). If it's just body awareness type issues than it is great! But depending on ur child they benefit from social skills training as well. Sorry for any typos/if this doesn't make sense in middle of commuting home.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:24 pm
This can be way off base but another thing to consider is if they might need glasses....I had a kid similar at a younger age and they compensated quite well till we figured out they were actually far sighted

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:29 pm
These are also symptoms of inattentive adhd. Look into it and see if other symptoms apply. Diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean medication, it can help with a direction.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:45 pm
What is inattentive adhd?

They feel that the kids can be annoying sometimes

I spoke to the director of services at my daughter’s school. She says it’s at 6-7 out of 10. That sounds so high. But my daughter is excelling in learning and her teacher hardly has complaints aside from her social interactions at times.
They say she is antsy in her small group instruction Her teacher says she is not grounded.

As a child I was the same way. Bright and antsy and socially immature. Maturity did a job on me.

I’m confused and sad. Are they seeing issues because their eyes look for these things? Is there issues but not as major as they make it seem?

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is inattentive adhd?

They feel that the kids can be annoying sometimes

I spoke to the director of services at my daughter’s school. She says it’s at 6-7 out of 10. That sounds so high. But my daughter is excelling in learning and her teacher hardly has complaints aside from her social interactions at times.
They say she is antsy in her small group instruction Her teacher says she is not grounded.

As a child I was the same way. Bright and antsy and socially immature. Maturity did a job on me.

I’m confused and sad. Are they seeing issues because their eyes look for these things? Is there issues but not as major as they make it seem?

It's annoying, but things that were a personality type 30 years ago are now a diagnosis. But this is the system and we can't change it. So you do have to play along to keep the kids and school happy. Don't take it to heart too much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:16 pm
Success10 wrote:
It's annoying, but things that were a personality type 30 years ago are now a diagnosis. But this is the system and we can't change it. So you do have to play along to keep the kids and school happy. Don't take it to heart too much.

Ok I hear that, thanks.

So will she eventually be ok socially? Or is spatial awareness something that stays unless treated?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics