Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Alternative to false whipping cream/and real whipping cream
1  2  Next

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:24 pm
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out with this frustration I have...Many recipes call for Redi-whip Parve whip cream (which I refuse to purchase as it is not natural and is not healthy), for reasons unknown to me the grocery stores here do not ever carry real whipping cream for me to substitute with.

Now...this parve subsitiution stuff has not been around as long as our bubbies yet all these recipes are calling for it. What, if anything, can someone suggest I do as a subsitute in my situtation? Is their something I could do to whole milk and sugar to create whipped cream? Any suggestions appreciated.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:28 pm
Our bubbies did not make parve whipped cream desserts. It was either real cream, or nothing. Most likely usually nothing.
I have stopped making parve desserts with concoctions such as Rich's whip. No one is suffering. There is always watermelon and other fruit oh, and cake (with oil of course).

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:32 pm
Tamiri, it's worse.
Our Bubbeh's made whipped deserts. With egg whites. Uncooked. In those days they didn't know about what we know....mousses with melted pareve chocolate and egg whites and uncooked egg yolks...

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:34 pm
No one died from uncooked eggs. It's a myth by the egg conglomerates. I would rather have raw whipped eggs than Rich's whip. In fact I made such mousses (meese?) for years.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:37 pm
Tamiri wrote:
No one died from uncooked eggs. It's a myth by the egg conglomerates. I would rather have raw whipped eggs than Rich's whip. In fact I made such mousses (meese?) for years.

well, I didn't die, but I was very very miserable for 3 or 4 days from ice cream made with raw eggs. And so were lots of other people.

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:38 pm
And what is the problem with Rich whip? The fats? you get as much in a pareve cookie!

Trans fats? You get enough in other things.

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:38 pm
Hmmm....
This came up because I made that no bake napolean cake thing from susie fishbein (which I didn't like how it turned out at all) and it called for adding Redi whip to the vanilla pudding which I ommited. Well the whole thing was a flop, but I wondered if at least the pudding would have tasted differently with the whip in it.

Then again I made her banana cream pie for which I also ommitted the suggested RediWhip and it just wasnt anything special. Therefore I was thinking if anyone knew a way to create a homemade substitute (I envision beating milk eggs sugar, something) that I could give the recipe another try.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:41 pm
in england you can buy whipping cream in the stores all year round. Call up your chalav yisrael milk company and ask if they do cream. Perhaps they sell it to resturants, but not in the stores, and maybe you can order a case. (it freezes nicely)

(I assume you keep chalav yisraeel, if you didn't you wouldn't have a problem gettting it)

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:44 pm
It's a problem for me on a long list of blacklisted products that I personally won't use because they are far from natural and our bodies can't digest them properly and only cause us more health problems the more processed a food product is.

I won't purchase any artificial sweeteners, parve dairy subsitutes, margarine, white flour, iodized salt, etc. Consider it part of my fanaticism if it's not in your comfort zone. :wink

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:45 pm
Yes Raisin you assume correctly.

I might just resort to buying a case of cream like you suggested...since it seems there is no homemade alternative.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:46 pm
Cream is cream. You can't substitute the fat with sugar and air.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

well, I didn't die, but I was very very miserable for 3 or 4 days from ice cream made with raw eggs. And so were lots of other people.

How do you know it was the eggs? If you told me you got sick from eating an egg, mayleh. But ice cream has a bunch of other things in it as well. I am not saying that it can't happen, just that eggs are getting a worse rap than they deserve. It could have been bad cream, bad fruit - anything.
Was it tomato ice-cream? Seems that in the U.S there is a salmonella outbreak from tomatoes. Are you going to stop eating them?

egam

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:53 pm
If somebody is so afraid of raw eggs, there are plenty of other ways to do it. You can buy Egg beaters, they pasteurized and have only whites. Or you can add lemon juice while whipping, it acts like cooking (as per Julia Child if I remember correctly). There is also meringue powder by Wilton's. The other thing you can do is to add hot syrup (sugar or any other) little by little when you are whipping egg white and they are almost done. But I must say I'm with Tamiri on this.
And unfortunately it won't work instead of whipped cream.
I tried to use frozen whipped cream and it didn't work for me. I couldn't whip it.

Last edited by egam on Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:54 pm
DH is concerned about this uncooked egg hype as well so when I make ice cream I cook the whole thing on the stove before cooling it and then making it into ice cream. However, I cannot take credit for this idea, the recipe my ice cream maker came with said to do this because it melts the sugar and won't be grainy.

But Tamiri you are correct, in fact several collegues of mine reccomend raw eggs to their clients in the form of blended healthy breafasts. I can't stomach it personally, but really the chances of something being wrong with your raw egg are really as common as something being wrong with your cantalope (which can also happen!) anything can happen....

egam

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:58 pm
My DH's favorite breakfast - raw eggs with bread.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:00 pm
egam wrote:
My DH's favorite breakfast - raw eggs with bread.

I'll pass. It's the bread that's unappealing LOL

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:05 pm
I think tamiri is correct that raw eggs are safe. However you are still not meant to serve them to children, pregnant women, and elderly people. So if you have none of those in your house, go ahead.

egam, I have whipped previously frozen cream many times, and it always works. It may lose a little quality, but its usually delicious.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:07 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out with this frustration I have...Many recipes call for Redi-whip Parve whip cream (which I refuse to purchase as it is not natural and is not healthy), for reasons unknown to me the grocery stores here do not ever carry real whipping cream for me to substitute with.

Now...this parve subsitiution stuff has not been around as long as our bubbies yet all these recipes are calling for it. What, if anything, can someone suggest I do as a subsitute in my situtation? Is their something I could do to whole milk and sugar to create whipped cream? Any suggestions appreciated.

I buy real cream. It comes in a little milk bottle.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:11 pm
MOO get a cow Nervous

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:17 pm
If only we had a yard Greenfire Smile My dh would love to get a cow. You don't know how relevant your statement is! LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen