Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Healthy snacks for infant?

muss

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:58 pm
My baby is 9 months. Here and there when I want to give her something she can hold and eat herself I can only think of not so healthy things like crackers and tea biscuits. Also Bamba which is healthier. Can’t think of anything else. Need ideas?

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:00 pm
Rice cakes

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:01 pm
string cheese (string)
hard boiled egg
banana
if she can, fruiit and veggie pouches

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:40 pm
Hippeas puffs- made of chick peas

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:57 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
string cheese (string)

Not string cheese, unless she has a bunch of teeth. It doesn't melt in the mouth. If she only has front teeth, she could bite off a chunk and not be able to chew it.

Yes, the apple sauce or yogurt pouches are perfect for this age, but you might have to hold it for her.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-.....r=8-9

These are perfect for this age.

muss

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:00 am
Thanks but the crackers and tea biscuit melts in her mouth so even if she bites off a big piece I’m not so worried.
I haven’t found anything else that she can hold and eat herself without me having to be there to watch her or feed her

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:28 am
Bamba is not in any way healthy! I give my baby occasionally but it's really snack food.

amf

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:30 am
amother Honey wrote:
Bamba is not in any way healthy! I give my baby occasionally but it's really snack food.

What's wrong with bamba? It's got protein and no sugar.
Also she did say she's looking for snack ideas

ETA there were times I counted bamba as dinner for my picky baby (along with nursing)

lovecouches

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:35 am
I gave my baby sugar free halva today and she loved it.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:43 am
muss wrote:
Thanks but the crackers and tea biscuit melts in her mouth so even if she bites off a big piece I’m not so worried.
I haven’t found anything else that she can hold and eat herself without me having to be there to watch her or feed her

Any roasted vegetable
Beef jerky (I make my own so basically strips of meat)
Roasted broccoli or cauliflower
Scrambled eggs in strips

For actual snacks, any kind of bar like the 2 ingredient ones but they're pricy and real food isn't

lovecouches

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:44 am
The truth is that at 9 months old you should be keeping some sort of an eye on her when she is eating no matter the food. Not to say I'm not guilty of doing that.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:45 am
Fruit in a mesh holder or very finely chopped. Pears are very soft & available winter.

Imo bamba is not bad at all.

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:48 am
Cheerios

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:39 am
Put a slice of apple into this mesh holder for her to suck and nibble at.
https://www.amazon.com/Munchki.....r=8-3

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:57 am
I dont get it when my baby was 9 months and had no teeth I gave tomato, cucumber, baby corn, crackers, mini mmms, corn pops, veggie straws, and practically everything I gave my toddler.
Also baby food (cuz I had from wic) and yogurt with a straw.
He ate it himself and I was around because im always watching my kids. I didnt sit right next to him but he was in his chair or on the floor and I was in the same room doing my own thing.
What am I missing?

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:01 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Not string cheese, unless she has a bunch of teeth. It doesn't melt in the mouth. If she only has front teeth, she could bite off a chunk and not be able to chew it.

Yes, the apple sauce or yogurt pouches are perfect for this age, but you might have to hold it for her.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-.....r=8-9

These are perfect for this age.

Re: string cheese. I meant to say, stringed ok thin strips. Obviously not a stick they can bite off

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:02 am
muss wrote:

All food given to an infant this age need to be supervised, IMO

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:09 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
I dont get it when my baby was 9 months and had no teeth I gave tomato, cucumber, baby corn, crackers, mini mmms, corn pops, veggie straws, and practically everything I gave my toddler.
Also baby food (cuz I had from wic) and yogurt with a straw.
He ate it himself and I was around because im always watching my kids. I didnt sit right next to him but he was in his chair or on the floor and I was in the same room doing my own thing.
What am I missing?

You being in the same room is not going to actually prevent him from choking. And foods that dont melt in the mouth (like cucumbers, baby corn...) are a choking hazard, especially if baby doesn't have teeth.

I am a babysitter, and I go crazy when I see the foods some mothers send for their babies. Slices of apples are dangerous for babies if they dont have most of their molars yet.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:57 pm
My 8 month old only has to front bottom teeth. All I give for self feed is baby puffs from Gerber. I feed everything else mush, like baby food and soup veggies and yogurt.
Any other ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics