Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is your money saving hack?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:21 am
We’ve recently had to cut back due to loss of job. It’s wonderful to see how little we really need and how much excess we’re used to.

What is your hack that saves you money?

Here’s mine; I bought a non disposable plastic dish set for my kids… so I have a few more dishes to wash but no plastic! Significant savings for me.

amother
Melon

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:36 am
Us too. We had to cut back due to job loss. I work full time still...

- cheaper meals. Rice, beans "taco night". Stews heavy on beans. Healthy, hearty.
- don't buy. Put in Amazon cart and think about it.
- needs vs wants. We are only doing needs. I would love my baby to have a new pair of PJs so I didn't have to wash so often but I don't need it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:45 am
amother Melon wrote:
Us too. We had to cut back due to job loss. I work full time still...

- cheaper meals. Rice, beans "taco night". Stews heavy on beans. Healthy, hearty.
- don't buy. Put in Amazon cart and think about it.
- needs vs wants. We are only doing needs. I would love my baby to have a new pair of PJs so I didn't have to wash so often but I don't need it.

You can find pjs for under $5. For example, The Children's Place Baby And Toddler Boys Dino Snug Fit Cotton Pajamas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q.....ss_tl

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:55 am
Saw this tip here… I only place Amazon orders on Wednesday. No more impulse Amazon buys for me.

ftm1234

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:58 am
I deleted every single shopping app from my phone.

The Amazon orders were out of control.

Also, you can find adorable kids clothes in Walmart.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:06 am
We use our credit card for everything. So once the amount starts getting close to our budget for the month, it's very clear to slow down and put some expenses on hold.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:07 am
If you're sending snacks to school with your kids, it's usually cheaper to buy big packs and bag them up yourself then to buy individually packaged snacks.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:21 am
Baking and meal prepping. If I have hot soup and/or muffins ready when my kids come home from school, there's significantly less snack bags being eaten

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:24 am
amother Jean wrote:
Saw this tip here… I only place Amazon orders on Wednesday. No more impulse Amazon buys for me.
Why wednesday?

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:30 am
No cleaning lady. Made a doable list of things to clean and when, and the whole family pitches in, even the young ones, on their level.

The savings is enormous.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:31 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
No cleaning lady. Made a doable list of things to clean and when, and the whole family pitches in, even the young ones, on their level.

The savings is enormous.

This 💯%

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:33 am
Great thread!!

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:35 am
amother Hyssop wrote:

The savings is enormous.

I love this one!

My dream is to be able to make cleaning fun for my kids and then doing it together.

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:41 am
amother Molasses wrote:
I love this one!

My dream is to be able to make cleaning fun for my kids and then doing it together.

Its so doable. And honestly, if whats needed to make it enjoyable for your kids is treating them every now and then as a reward for doing their jobs well, thats still a huge savings. A slurpee etc is way cheaper than the cleaning lady cost

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:47 am
amother Hyssop wrote:

The savings is enormous.

Agreed, dropping cleaning help just saves so much cash!!

And my kids help out a lot also. The 2 year old can pick up toys and put them away in the boxes. The 5 year old takes shmatta and spray and cleans tables, chairs, cabinets etc. My 9 year old vacuums the bedrooms and swiffers the kitchen and living room/dining room.
I do the heavy duty stuff like cleaning the bathroom and kitchen.
Dh works long hours so can't do much but he helps with laundry, changing linens, cleaning up after shabbos etc. He also does the baths/bedtime routine at night so I have free time to clean up

I have a points contest with my kids and they earn rewards for helping. Much much cheaper than a cleaning lady and I believe it's such good chinuch!
It's funny cuz my son recently earned a box of 96 crayons and a kid in his class told him he is spoiled. So my son explained that he is NOT spoiled and he needed to earn 30 points to get it.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:51 am
- everyone has their own color cup that hangs on the fridge (bought on Amazon). So we don't use a lot of disposable cups. We drink mostly water so they don't even need to be washed most of the time

- plastic bowls and spoons for breakfast from Amazon - everyone has their own color. They are easy to wash (we usually have cereal for breakfast, anything more messy we would use disposable) Bigger kids are responsible to quickly clean their own bowls after (no arguing about who's bowl is whos since they each have their own color) or they wont have a clean bowl for breakfast the next day....

-water filter for the sink and a pitcher for the fridge. We fill up water from the sink and put it into the fidge instead of spending on bottled water.

- I bake cookies/muffins and freeze in sandwich bags for snacks (so instead of taking 2 snack bags each day, they take one snack bag and one homemade snack)

- we have the light fixtures that don't require light bulbs

- I try to serve supper right when the kids get home. Otherwise there's a lot more snacking going on then if we eat first....

- Jewish library membership. Kids are kept very busy shabbos (we save the books for then). I find I need to buy less games to keep them busy, and they end up snacking less bec they don't get as bored (guess this only works if your kids are big readers.... Although my kids weren't originally but I worked on it - reading books to them, then just the first chapter to get them interested to continue themselves..... Now they read tons)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:58 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
- everyone has their own color cup that hangs on the fridge (bought on Amazon). So we don't use a lot of disposable cups. We drink mostly water so they don't even need to be washed most of the time

- plastic bowls and spoons for breakfast from Amazon - everyone has their own color. They are easy to wash (we usually have cereal for breakfast, anything more messy we would use disposable) Bigger kids are responsible to quickly clean their own bowls after (no arguing about who's bowl is whos since they each have their own color) or they wont have a clean bowl for breakfast the next day....

- I bake cookies/muffins and freeze in sandwich bags for snacks (so instead of taking 2 snack bags each day, they take one snack bag and one homemade snack)

- I try to serve supper right when the kids get home. Otherwise there's a lot more snacking going on then if we eat first....

- Jewish library membership. Kids are kept very busy shabbos (we save the books for then). I find I need to buy less games to keep them busy, and they end up snacking less bec they don't get as bored (guess this only works if your kids are big readers.... Although my kids weren't originally but I worked on it - reading books to them, then just the first chapter to get them interested to continue themselves..... Now they read tons)

How do you hang cups on fridge

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:23 am
[quote="amother Yarrow"]- everyone has their own color cup that hangs on the fridge (bought on Amazon). So we don't use a lot of disposable cups. We drink mostly water so they don't even need to be washed most of the time

I desperately need this! The disposable cups in my house is out of control!! Can you post a link to the hanging cups you bought on Amazon?

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:27 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

If the light fixtures has no bulbs it may be pricey having to replace the fixtures when it breaks or dies out. How long do you have them for?

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:35 am
To the two posters above who asked about hanging cups on the fridge - these are the ones we have https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....ss_tl there are more colors you can select if you need more then four...

I forgot that they do cost a nice amount (I think I had a gift card that I used when I got them), but at this point with the amount of times (especially in the summer) the my kids (and myself) grab a cup of water, I more then made back more then the cost of buying them with the amount of disposables we saved.... Maybe you can also find for cheaper if you look around more on Amazon or other sites
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics