Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kid punished
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:50 pm
amother White wrote:
This isn’t about chinuch. Chinuch is what’s helping a child and what’s in the child’s best interest. Making kids wait for water isn’t in their best interest.
Your mindset is also one that was prevalent decades ago. It’s interesting to note the posters age when responding, as there is a generational gap as there has been a research that has evolved and educated us on the importance of hydration and in particular for students.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your age range?

gr82no

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Spoke to the teacher. We both weren’t as hysterical as most of you here. Very calm normal conversation. She thought about it and said she realized she was too harsh, it was because the class was misbehaving and she took it out on my kid. Anyway moving on and life is going on. You all can keep having this very heated discussion amongst yourselves.

Good job speaking to the teacher!
In my experience teachers that have less control over the class punish more often and over smaller things.
It was probably a hard day.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:22 pm
Then we wonder why nobody wants to teach.

Sheesh!

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:13 pm
had an idea, maybe you could send the kid with two water bottles in the future.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:12 pm
https://www.cdc.gov/healthysch.....s.htm
One article for some basic information.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:14 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I think you’re the one getting carried away… she isn’t being deprived of water all day. She’s a girl in middle school who just finished an entire water bottle and is being told to wait 20 minutes to refill it. Unless she has a medical need, that’s well within a normal range for a kid that age. And she’s old enough to plan that it doesn’t happen every day, like bringing a larger water bottle. Remember, this teacher DOES allow her to drink in class.

For comparison, if you were driving home from school and your kid said they were thirsty, would you pull over to the nearest gas station or tell them to wait till you get home? What if you were in the grocery store… would you let them pull a bottle off the shelf and start drinking right away or have them wait till you pay for it? Then what would you do if your kid just ignored you and took a bottle and started drinking anyway? If it was me, there would definitely be some consequence.

(Again, we’re not talking about running around outdoors on a mid summer afternoon, that’s an entirely different story.)

You would give your kid a consequence for drinking when you said he can’t? That is concerning.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:15 pm
amother White wrote:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/features/water_access.htm
One article for some basic information.

Not applicable as op clearly said her child went to school with a full water bottle and drank it on the way. I doubt the kid was dehydrated unless she’s not well.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:16 pm
amother White wrote:
You would give your kid a consequence for drinking when you said he can’t? That is concerning.

I would give my kid a consequence for being chutzpadig.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:21 pm
https://www.cdc.gov/healthysch.....s.htm
Here is some more information.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Not applicable as op clearly said her child went to school with a full water bottle and drank it on the way. I doubt the kid was dehydrated unless she’s not well.

It’s extremely applicable to the issue of concern of students being allowed to drink in school. Allowed isn’t the correct word, it should be encouraged. The CDC references all the laws and regulations to increases access and availability of water to students.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:26 pm
https://www.bbc.com/news/educa.....3.amp
Information about a study that shows that students who drink during exams score better.
This is changing exam policies worldwide.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:29 pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....4515/
This study has a lot of information and references the laws that mandate that schools have accessible water throughout the day.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
There are no laws. There may be specific policies for specific school systems to be used as guidelines (public schools). Private schools of course can come up with their own guidelines which are likely written in
their handbook.

This is false.

Taken from the above paper.

The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 authorizes funding and sets policy for USDA's child nutrition programs, including the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program, and the CACFP. The act requires schools participating in federally funded meal programs to make water available during meal periods at no cost to students.21 It also mandates that child care facilities provide free drinking water throughout the day.21

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:33 pm
amother White wrote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134515/
This study has a lot of information and references the laws that mandate that schools have accessible water throughout the day.

Did you read the op or did you get stuck on the part where she said her kid was denied water? There’s a water cooler in the classroom! Her kid had FINISHED the water in her bottle and wanted a REFILL! No the kid was not dying of thirst and if the teacher didnt let her refill for whatever reason she had no right to disobey. Gosh Can't Believe It

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Did you read the op or did you get stuck on the part where she said her kid was denied water? There’s a water cooler in the classroom! Her kid had FINISHED the water in her bottle and wanted a REFILL! No the kid was not dying of thirst and if the teacher didnt let her refill for whatever reason she had no right to disobey. Gosh Can't Believe It

This is in reference to students being allowed to drink in school and increasing accessibility for the students. Teachers aren’t in a position to control students water accessibility.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:07 pm
amother White wrote:
This is false.

Taken from the above paper.

The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 authorizes funding and sets policy for USDA's child nutrition programs, including the NSLP, the School Breakfast Program, and the CACFP. The act requires schools participating in federally funded meal programs to make water available during meal periods at no cost to students.21 It also mandates that child care facilities provide free drinking water throughout the day.21

Reread what you just wrote. Water at meals and free water provided (I.e. the building has water fountains or water coolers inside) during the day does not equal laws that students must be allowed to drink and refill bottles whenever they want during class. That's up to districts/schools to decide on their policy.
Speaking as a public school teacher btw. Yes, students are allowed to bring water bottles. No, it isn't required to let them refill automatically, it is allowed to use teacher judgment and students might be asked to wait a few minutes.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:07 pm
amother White wrote:
This is in reference to students being allowed to drink in school and increasing accessibility for the students. Teachers aren’t in a position to control students water accessibility.

This reference is about water being readily available for the kids in the student locations. It says nothing about that water must be available at that very minute the child wants it. All this article talks about is that since students don't drink enough water, water should be more accessible to kids so that it encourages them to drink more throughout the day

Can you explain how that translates into defying a teachers order to wait for refill until a more appropriate time? Or where does the article state that's is harming a child if they wait a couple of minutes to get a drink?

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:13 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Reread what you just wrote. Water at meals and free water provided (I.e. the building has water fountains or water coolers inside) during the day does not equal laws that students must be allowed to drink and refill bottles whenever they want during class. That's up to districts/schools to decide on their policy.
Speaking as a public school teacher btw. Yes, students are allowed to bring water bottles. No, it isn't required to let them refill automatically, it is allowed to use teacher judgment and students might be asked to wait a few minutes.

If you read the CDC reports you will see the the effort that the government extends towards education about promoting drinking and accessibility for students. It’s all with a focus on making it easier and more appealing for students and not hindering access for them. Yes, that’s why public schools allow water bottles in class.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:31 pm
amother White wrote:
If you read the CDC reports you will see the the effort that the government extends towards education about promoting drinking and accessibility for students. It’s all with a focus on making it easier and more appealing for students and not hindering access for them. Yes, that’s why public schools allow water bottles in class.

No one is countering that. Kids should have water easily accessible to them.

But what we fail to understand how that translates into must having water available at every minute of the day? How does encouraging kids to drink more and having easy access to water suggest that children can't wait a couple of minutes during classtime for a water refill.

You're making huge leaps from that text. You're adding words to the article that don't exist.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 10:20 am
amother White wrote:

It's nothing to do with making it appealing and also nothing new. Years ago the school lunches came with milk or juice. I think it was around the time that Michelle Obama had her healthy food initiatives that they switched to water bottles, because her initiative was all about reducing calories.

And there have always been water fountains in schools pretty much as soon as there was running water installed. Kids started bringing water bottles probably 20 years ago when reusable containers became popular and people got squicky about communal fountains. Schools came up with policies to handle that but that's on an individual district or school basis and plenty of teachers have the kids put the water on a shelf and ask permission to drink from it during class. It's just in lieu of getting a drink from a fountain because most people don't see that as a sanitary option anymore. And btw, as someone who works in a school, I'd never use a communal water cooler to refill my bottle. I see what the kids do on a regular basis, including putting their fingers up the spigot, drinking straight from the spigot, etc. Lol. It's no more sanitary than a communal water fountain although the water may technically be a bit cleaner if they are worried about old pipes (which is why my school got the coolers in the first place).
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics