Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Cnn profiles yemini jews

mama-star

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 7:21 pm
this is beautiful!!

http://www.vosizneias.com/1919.....ideo/

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:23 pm
Thanks for posting this!

Nice actually to see something in the main stream media that is positive about Yidden.
BTW...can anyone enlighten me about something? I always thought long, curly peyos was a chassidic Ashkenaz style...
Do others in the Sephardic world have long curly peyos...or specifically Yemenites? (I live in a Sephardic neighborhood, mainly traditional and not frum, but there are some frum, and I don't see it)

In ancient times, did Yidden have long curly peyos like this? I thought it was a Chassidic chumrah?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:31 pm
Wow thanks for posting that was really beautiful

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:37 pm
I actually wanted to post it up because I didn't see it up here but I am glad you did... I saw this time ago on CNN and I like it... it's so cute!!! The accent of the kids is sooo strong... and yes the little girls wear haircoverings (everything but the eyes are covered) and before a new discussion starts again about unmarried girls (under bat mitzva) covering their hair: they do it because it is normal in yemenite society.. not because its the Jewish thing to do....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:11 am
Many of those who adopted a chassidish lifestyle, be they Sefardi, Temani, Persian, Italkim (I know of all these examples) adopted the chassidish looks too.

My cousin is married to a Temani girl. Her father has the long curly peyos. BH in Israel the girls are free to go normal. It's true that in a country you have to adopt its standards if they're higher than Jewish ones. There used to be Jews from Arabic countries with veils. Veils and pants. LOL

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:56 am
The Yemenites came to Israel with beautiful, long, curly peot. It was common, when I was growing up, to see a Teymani Abba wearing a black beret on a bike, peot and long beard flowing with the wind. This was quite a few years after their Aliya, but the original Olim kept their appearances. Israel sort of destroyed most of their culture, which is a sad thing, but this is a melting pot for all Jews.
The CNN flik sounds like a lot of propaganda. Note that there is a "meturgeman" (translator) go-between the reporter and the token Jewish spokesman.
What an illustrious history, down the drain.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 8:11 am
I feel like the teymani jews had to say how much they love yemen in front of the camera.
It's not like yemen is a democracy...

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 2:57 am
Quote:
In ancient times, did Yidden have long curly peyos like this? I thought it was a Chassidic chumrah?

Teimani Jews have always had long peyot. They call them simanim, signs that differentiate them from the Arabs.

I thought there were no Jews left as a smalll group that came to Rechovot when I lived there were supposed to be the last. These look much mor modern than the ones who came then. You wouldn't see them in western clothes or playing soccer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics