Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I need a new system its a disaster
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:53 am
I think I’m separating too many loads and it’s just too much. This is what I do.

Hot load- pjs, underwear, socks

Warm- anything else that will go in dryer. Tshirts, some polo shirts sweatshirts, some pants like Tiros, slinky type skirts, baby Stretchies etc

Cold- anything that will be hung to dry. Colored button down shirts, Tights, shabbos dresses, skirts, pants, tzisis etc

Whites- undershirts, white shirts. My husband likes his washed on hot but I find the boys kids sizes shrink if I wash on hot. So a lot if times I do two whites- a hot with the undershirts and men’s and a cold with the kids shirts. Hang all the shirts to dry and undershirts go in dryer.

Then I have towels on hot
Kids linen washed in hot
Nice master linen on cold

It’s too much but I feel like if I don’t seperate this way my clothing will get ruined/shrink and I can’t afford that!!

I would love some help from people who take good care of their laundry but have it more efficient than me. I’m forever doing laundry and I can’t keep up and it piles and overwhelms me and I end up having mounds of clothing to deal with all the time.

If u read this far-thank you!
If u respond-double thank you!!!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:42 am
Way too many.
I basically do darks and whites and towels. Whites on warm. Darks cool. Towels warm. On rare occasions delicate.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:43 am
Here’s my system I hope it helps
Cold water- socks, underwear, skirts, colored shirts, pajamas, pants, top undergarments,
Hot water- white shirts, undershirts, tzitzis, Shobbos tablecloths
Cold water mixed with some hot- towels and washcloths, shmattahs
Cold water- linens- the store where I purchased them said this is how it should be washed to keep it lasting
Hope this helps, Hatzlocha

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:44 am
I do basically the same. But you don't need a separate hot load for socks and underwear - just put them in with other colored clothing that go in the dryer. Here's what I do:
Whites
Colors in dryer
Colors not in dryer
Towels
Cleaning rags
Linen- can't really fit more than two sets per load anyway

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:45 am
Quote:
I basically do darks and whites and towels. Whites on warm. Darks cool. Towels warm. On rare occasions delicate.

This is what I do.
I separate after the wash anything that needs to be hung up or put in the dryer

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:46 am
I put everything on warm.

Some things on delicates.

I separate whites, colors, blacks, towels, shmattas.

That's all.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:47 am
I do everything hot, whites hottest.

Dark loads, white loads.

I don't buy brands that shrink. And for whites I find the stains come out better with hotter cycles.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:49 am
Everything on warm (after reading a book about laundry) multiple times a week

Whites separate once a week

Shmattes and mop head - own load after cleaning lady leaves

Towels own load
Sheets own load

teachkids

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:50 am
We have those sorter hampers upstairs. So I sort things as they come off (I don't have so many categories) and then when a bag is full I wash it

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:53 am
I do almost everything on cold and gentle. Works for me Smile

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:58 am
With modern detergents, most things can be washed cold or lukewarm. For sanitary reasons, you should wash bed linens, towels and underwear in hot water, separating whites, light colors, and darks. (Sounds so politically incorrect, but this is laundry, not people.) Small and relatively delicate items can be added to the cold loads if you put them in mesh bags. Very very delicate items like silk blouses with lavish lace trim can either be done in mesh bags in a separate load on the gentle cycle, or by hand. A single blouse is not worth its own dedicated load and should be washed by hand.

There's no need to do master linens separately from kids' linen. Your kids don't have cooties and if they do, the hot water will take care of that problem. Towels and bed linens can be washed together. This is assuming your machine can handle loads of that size. My machine is small and can take only two sets of twin bed linens, maybe an extra hand towel or washcloth or two thrown in, so I wouldn't be able to do my linens and the kids' linens together in any event

As far as your boys' underthings, buy a size larger to allow for shrinkage, wash them once before wearing (which you ought to do anyway, to remove sizing and whatever other chemicals are used in the manufacturing process) and then you can wash them on hot with your dh stuff.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:04 pm
Why is it more sanitary to wash in hot water than to dry on high heat?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:25 pm
On my machine I have a few temperature settings.
Tap cold
Cold (that's lukewarm)
Warm
Hot
Extra hot

Darks on cold - Half the load gets hung half dried.
Socks underpants tights dried. Some pants are dried too.
Skirts, tops, dresses, other pants hung bras (I put them in mesh bags) hung

Mediums on cold - again half gets hung half dried

Whites is on Hot. undershirts, white shirts. Light blue leggins of other stuff that is able to be washed in hot.
I add bluing agent so light blue stuff is ok.
White graphic tees too.

Then there are towels that is set on hot.
Bed Linens warm

Table linens will go with the bed linens, towels, Mediums or whites. Whichever had more room, and on the color.

I dry all towels and linens. I only buy what can be put in the dryer.

For clothing. The stuff that was stained I prespot and if they are dryable clothing. I check after going thru the wash if the stain came out. If not I don't dry I hang.

I hang some tops, skirts, pants, some of my nightgowns. Not all. Bras. Shabbos shirts or new shirts. After a while when it anyways lost its new crisp I dry, take out as soon as done and then iron w starch.

The loads are actually preset. (Cotton normal, Bright white, towels....)
I use extra hot for shmatas. Or if I want to disinfect after a kid had lice or pinworms.
Some weeks I have a delicate load too. So I do those items separately.

So it's
Dark
Medium
White
Linen
Towels
Rags
Occasionally a delicate load.

I do laundry 2x a week. Wash sunday and finish folding/ironing on Monday.
Wash/fold/iron on Thursdays. Finish on Friday. Often doing quick mixed load on Friday morning from the Thursdays clothing and pajamas. I usually prepare thr med/dark clothing for the kids to wear on Thursday, same w pjs so it washes together w the tights....
But sometimes kids will want something else anyway so. Doesn't always work.
But the whites, I leave in the hamper.
And then we start all over again on sunday.....

Did I miss anything?

Eta, the kids linen all fit in one load.
The kids beds are smaller so less fabric for bedding. And the 4 and 1.5 yo sleep in a crib/toddler bed so that's even less fabric. So I wash kids together.
And dh and mine fit in one load.
I switch off doing bed linens every other week. So it's one linen load per week. Usually on Mondays.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:20 pm
Thanks all. I can’t wrap my head around washing underwear not on hot water… underwear especially kids is gross. I feel it needs the hot water.. am I wrong I like the one idea of everything on warm. Maybe I can try that.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:31 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Why is it more sanitary to wash in hot water than to dry on high heat?

The dirt gets out better with hotter water. Have you ever tried to wash dishes with cold vs hot water? Hot water gets it much cleaner. Doesn't help to dry clothes that are still dirty on high heat.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Blush wrote:
The dirst gets out better with hotter water. Have you ever tried to wash dishes with cold vs hot water? Hot water gets it much cleaner. Doesn't help to dry clothes that are still dirty on high heat.

I was taught that hot water sets stains. Can someone help me here? I would love to use hot more often, but don't want the stains to set.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 4:29 pm
Yes you are making way too many loads.

My loads are: (All done on warm)
Dark
White
Linen
Towels

Hanging stuff vs dryer stuff gets separated after the wash (I.e. undershirts vs tzitizis)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:08 pm
I don't like to sort laundry so I have a ton of loads that I do. of course I don't wash them all every week - just when that load is a machine full or if I run out of something in that load.

whites - underwear
pj bottoms
my work clohtes-darks
sock and tights load
underpants load
exer ise clothes load
generic light load - wash on warm
pj tops
mens dress shirts

but you do what works for you!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:10 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I don't like to sort laundry so I have a ton of loads that I do. of course I don't wash them all every week - just when that load is a machine full or if I run out of something in that load.

whites - underwear
pj bottoms
my work clohtes-darks
sock and tights load
underpants load
exer ise clothes load
generic light load - wash on warm
pj tops
mens dress shirts

but you do what works for you!

For someone who doesn't like to sort laundry, you do a lot of sorting!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:11 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I was taught that hot water sets stains. Can someone help me here? I would love to use hot more often, but don't want the stains to set.

Heat from the dryer sets stains. Hot water removes them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry