Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Suddenly waking up eeeearly

speciwoman

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:48 am
My 12 mo son had been sleeping consistently from 7pm until about 7am every morning. Really, he usually woke up between 7 and 8am. He was also a good napper. He would nap with no fight every morning for an hour, and almost every afternoon for another hour.

Well, two weeks ago stuff started changing. He now refuses to nap (this weekend I convinced him to nap in his crib by sleeping on his floor while he slept in his crib). Worse, possibly, in the past week he has suddenly started waking up at 5:45am. I tried to just let him cry, but he won't stop and go back to sleep. This morning, I went in there, gave him a bottle, tried to leave, but he kept screaming. I was so tired, so I basically ignored him (didn't talk to him), lied down on the floor and said, "shh" then went to sleep, and finally he did too.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:00 am
Is he getting molars? What's the temperature of his room like? Is he eating enough? Is he thirsty? Did you recently stop nursing him? Is his bedroom window on the East side of the house so it gets light in his room at the crack of dawn?
It could be 100 different things.

speciwoman

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:05 am
I've been trying to problem-solve/brainstorm in the same way. His room was totally dark this morning when I went in. The temperature has not changed in there in the past week. He does have some teeth coming in, but B"H his nighttime sleeping hasn't changed, just his wake-up time. I guess it could be related. His diet is the same.

The napping problem I attribute to a change in his schedule (he had been with a sitter full-time, but DH has been home with him on vacation the past 2 weeks). The morning wake-up time I don't know about, but I am soooo tired as a result!

Sudy

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 12:54 pm
This sounds so familiar. I have 2 toddlers and they go to sleep 7:00 and wake up around 5:30. (only the younger one 1.5 yrs, has a nap) I made peace with the fact, and just rearranged my schedule. Some children require less than 12 hours a night, nothing you could do about that.

mom21n2

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 4:17 pm
If he dropped his nap, he might need more sleep at night. Try putting him down an hour earlier and see if he sleeps longer in the AM.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics