Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus Alert!!! Replacements.com
1  2  3  Next

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 10:06 pm
Do NOT buy any dishes at replacements.com. Turns out, most of their stuff is used (not that you can tell). We bought all this stuff to match our china (Things we never got - bowls, things we broke - plates). We have to return it all Sad . Now we'll never have the replacements.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 10:20 pm
How do you know that their stuff is used? I'm panicking - cuz a while ago I bought a few pieces of china to match our set - and I don't even know which ones they are!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 10:30 pm
It says on their website and dh just called. Most of their stuff is used, just in really good condition. Lots of their stuff comes from people who got divorced and want to unload their china to get money back.

Def. call your Rav. Dh brought all the stuff plus a new set from a different website and got the stuff mixed up. We have to return IT ALL because we don't know which was from replacements.com and which was the new stuff!!!! Argh!

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:33 pm
is there not a way to kasher dishes ...

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:37 pm
I thought that with China you can wait a full year of not using it and then it is as if they are new..?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:43 pm
I called our Rabbi about this. He said that was a kula by Rav Moshe Feinstein that had to do with Baalei Teshuva who had already had the dishes and it would be a huge financial loss for them. So he doesn't think the kula holds by us because we're not suffering a huge financial loss. additionally, I asked about dishes from grandparents who weren't kosher. He maintained that the kula wouldn't cover that as well.

Ask your LOR

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:43 pm
Oh, he said the only way to use these things would be to reglaze them or put them in the oven to self-cleaning, but I think that would ruin the china.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:08 am
Why would you want to use someone else's dishes? I would rather have cheaper dishes than expensive used ones? I never understood how people bought on ebay used baby highchairs or things like that.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:38 am
OY! That must be a huge hassle for you!

First amother, let us know what comes out of this. I feel so bad.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:43 am
amother wrote:
Why would you want to use someone else's dishes? I would rather have cheaper dishes than expensive used ones? I never understood how people bought on ebay used baby highchairs or things like that.

As the OP said, she has a set of china and wanted to add to the set. This way the pattern matches.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:47 am
Quote:
Why would you want to use someone else's dishes?

She obviously didn't know it was used. Isn't that what the thread is all about? Confused

btw, does anyone else see the google ad on top of page for "replacement.com"? cute

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 7:05 am
No, we didn't know that they would be used!!! We broke a few plates and we never got all the bowls, so we figured we would get them. Then we learned they were used!

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:56 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
No, we didn't know that they would be used!!! We broke a few plates and we never got all the bowls, so we figured we would get them. Then we learned they were used!

I thought that the theory behind Replacements was pretty obvious. Nonetheless, per the website, not everything is used; some items are bought in bulk from the manufacturer and sold at a discount. So definitely check to see the nature of the items that you purchased if you can. Otherwise, get all of the information you can -- how many items you had, how many you bought, chances it was used, etc and ask your rabbi what to do.

As to why people would buy used things on ebay ... why not? If the plates were reliably kosher, for example, what difference would it make. Other people eat off my plates regularly, and I eat in restaurants and other people's homes. I can wash or clean used attire or furniture. Nicer, higher quality things for less money, environmentally sound ... what's not to like?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 12:03 am
Barbara wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:

I thought that the theory behind Replacements was pretty obvious. Nonetheless, per the website, not everything is used; some items are bought in bulk from the manufacturer and sold at a discount. So definitely check to see the nature of the items that you purchased if you can. Otherwise, get all of the information you can -- how many items you had, how many you bought, chances it was used, etc and ask your rabbi what to do.

As to why people would buy used things on ebay ... why not? If the plates were reliably kosher, for example, what difference would it make. Other people eat off my plates regularly, and I eat in restaurants and other people's homes. I can wash or clean used attire or furniture. Nicer, higher quality things for less money, environmentally sound ... what's not to like?

Re. Replacements.com, they can't tell you what items were used. They take off all of the wrappings, but that most of their stuff is used. So, according to our Rav, it's a no go.

As for Ebay, how can you know someone's kashrus over ebay? There's a difference between clothes and furniture and plates. The former don't need to be kosher.

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 7:33 am
Replacements has many items that are brand new as well. You can call them and ask if the original labels are intact. If you get a decent person on the phone they'll actually inspect each item for you.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:00 am
Every single on of our bowls can with a scanable, "intact" sticker. It means nothing.

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 10:46 am
I don't mean from replacements, I mean from the original company.
Replacements buys off all leftover stock from discontinued patterns directly from the company. Those should have an intact label from the brand name of the product. Not a scannable Replacements label.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 10:50 am
Well, all of the bowls and plates had the EXACT same sticker as the NEW ones we got from the company. Somehow replacement.com gets the same stickers. It was a problem. Anyway, you can all do what you want to do. I just wanted to tell everyone my experience so they don't lose time and money, oh, and eat on treif dishes like I almost did.

Call the company, Call your LOR and decide for yourselves.

tovarena

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 11:24 am
shock I wish I could pretend I hadn't read this thread. I ordered from replacements.com YEARS ago. Needless to say, those pieces would be completely mixed in with the originals. Uch! DH is going to have a fit! I'm getting a stomach ache just thinking about what we might have to do. And we have no money right now - for new dishes or anything else.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 11:26 am
Talk to your Rav, maybe it's ok because they're mixed in. Maybe it's ok, bc you'll suffer a loss.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen