Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Dealing with vyvanse side effects
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 2:55 am
any advice?
my son started vyvanse a few days ago to see if it will help him focus.
No major improvement yet, but he is beyond tired when he's on it and the appetite supression is insane.
Has anyone had experience with this?

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:20 am
amother OP wrote:
any advice?
my son started vyvanse a few days ago to see if it will help him focus.
No major improvement yet, but he is beyond tired when he's on it and the appetite supression is insane.
Has anyone had experience with this?

Being beyond tired while on it makes no sense. It sounds like a side effect that shouldn't be ignored. I have had a few kids on it over the years and after kicking in the vyvanse generally makes them wide awake and uber focused.
Appetite suppression is totally normal (on all stimulants actually)

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:43 am
really, the fatigue isn't an effect that can gradually go away?

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:53 am
amother OP wrote:
really, the fatigue isn't an effect that can gradually go away?

It needs to be brought up with the dr because the dosage may be wrong. I would definitely tell your dr asap.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:04 am
What dosage is your kid on? My kid was on the lowest dosage and crazy hyper focused so I took him off.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:13 am
My son wasn't tired on vyvanse.
Loss of appetite and went to sleep crazy late at night.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:33 am
he's on 30mg

amother
Brass

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:20 am
amother OP wrote:
he's on 30mg

How old is he?
Is he tired because he goes to sleep very late? That's one of the side effect, not being able to fall asleep.
That's high for a starting dose. Did your Dr say why he's starting at 30?
My 8 yr old was taking 20mg but we just cut down to 10mg and combined with intuniv. Still working on changing the meds but I think it's better.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:20 am
Does it make sense that my son gets angry on it?

amother
White

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:22 am
amother Latte wrote:

Yes my kids couldn't handle it emotionally at all. They became crazy irritable and anxious.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:28 am
amother White wrote:
Yes my kids couldn't handle it emotionally at all. They became crazy irritable and anxious.

But it’s the best one meanwhile that helps him in school concentrate and he does much better learning wise. Should I change his meds again because of this or leave it?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:31 am
amother Latte wrote:

I was on it and got super angry. Went off

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:38 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
I was on it and got super angry. Went off

Oysh it’s just so hard to find the right medicine we switched already so much and this one really helped him concentrate and learn but he is soooo angry and anxious all the time and crazy ocd

amother
Viola

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:40 am
My son did terribly on it
True it was some improvement in his learning. He focused better and learned better
But his side effects were so much worse...his mood changed he wasn't himself....like too serious...and when it wore off my gosh he was angry...screaming...
He is.now off it....on nothing...

Coler

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:41 am
amother Latte wrote:
Oysh it’s just so hard to find the right medicine we switched already so much and this one really helped him concentrate and learn but he is soooo angry and anxious all the time and crazy ocd

Yes yes same here
Not anxious but.angry not himself...crazy impulsive behaviors

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:47 am
I think that their emotional health and behavior has to come before focus. My son was also on many meds and right now we still haven't found something but at least we are addressing his emotional health. IY'h once that is settled hope we will find something that will help a little. And finding a school to accommodate them is also important

amother
Brass

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:55 am
amother Latte wrote:
But it’s the best one meanwhile that helps him in school concentrate and he does much better learning wise. Should I change his meds again because of this or leave it?

That's why my Dr put my son on intuniv. He was worse at night. She explained that it was the rebound effect of medicine wearing off.
the intuniv is a non stimulant but not enough to help him school so we're trying to combine both right now.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:57 am
amother Peach wrote:
I think that their emotional health and behavior has to come before focus. My son was also on many meds and right now we still haven't found something but at least we are addressing his emotional health. IY'h once that is settled hope we will find something that will help a little. And finding a school to accommodate them is also important

When my son doesn't take the vyvanse he's extremely unhappy in school to the point that he doesn't want to go. Being able to focus and pay attention to what rebbi/ teacher is saying is a huge thing when you have to sit in class for hours.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:58 am
amother Brass wrote:
When my son doesn't take the vyvanse he's extremely unhappy in school to the point that he doesn't want to go. Being able to focus and pay attention to what rebbi/ teacher is saying is a huge thing when you have to sit in class for hours.

Same here

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:01 am
I was on this drug as a kid and I highly recommend that parents use it as a last option. It made me into a zombie. I felt like I was wearing an emotional straight jacket. I lost a ton of weight on it and eventually that’s what made me go off of it. I went to the psychiatrist after a year of being on it and I lost 20 pounds in six grade. I went from being 90 pounds to 70 pounds.
Also, I have students who have only done terrible on it. One of my students started taking it and he went from being the main macher by recess, to playing chess by himself in a closet. It’s an extremely strong stimulant and it really should only be used for severe cases of ADHD.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)