Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
McCAIN PICKS SARAH PALIN AS RUNNING MATE
1  2  3  4  5  Next

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:44 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25.....43001

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:45 pm
Is this good or bad for us?

I just read she has a 4 month old Downs' baby, and she went back to work 4 days after he was born.

I'm not sure I like that. I think parents should be with their children, and even a special needs one.

waterbottle

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:49 pm
We also need moral political leaders who understand the challenges and demands of raising a family.

Mevater

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:52 pm
su7kids wrote:

I just read she has a 4 month old Downs' baby, and she went back to work 4 days after he was born.

I'm not sure I like that. I think parents should be with their children, and even a special needs one.
.....The governor said she won't take a maternity leave but will bring Trig with her to work. Her spokesperson later clarified, at Palin's request, that the governor will take time off for medical appointments, physical therapy and whatever Trig needs.

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:57 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
su7kids wrote:

.....The governor said she won't take a maternity leave but will bring Trig with her to work. Her spokesperson later clarified, at Palin's request, that the governor will take time off for medical appointments, physical therapy and whatever Trig needs.

And when sh e's out of the country, etc? I don't know. Me, personaly, I'm a strong SAHM, and advocate of such. But I guess if one could afford good daycare.... go for it.

waterbottle

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:00 pm
Maybe her husband stays at home... That is a NOBLE choice and should be accepted as KOSHER

waterbottle

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:02 pm
Great pics online of her with her kids!

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:29 pm
For as much as I know now about her, she seems cool. She presents herself well, has clear policies, is straightforward, and a woman. Plus a mother of 5, of which one is DS baby. She supports traditional family values and is opposed to things like abortion and same relations marriage. She also fights things like corruption and bureaucracy. Seems good to me!

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:37 pm
If McCain supporters are happy about his choice, I think that's great. Whatever happens, what's good for the country is what's best.

stem

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:41 pm
I think it's a brilliant move! Nobody can argue that she's not experienced enough since BO is equally not experienced and he's running for president. I also love it that she's family centered, she's exteremely conservative, she's the governor of the state with the most energy supply, her husband works in the oil business, and... she dresses feminine unlike hillary and her "pant-suits".

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:44 pm
I wonder what McCain supporters would have said about Obama picking a youngish mom (especially one with a DS baby) as a running mate. I wonder if they would have said that it's so cool that she wants to do a job like this.

Just curious -- what do the Republicans here think of Joe Biden as a running mate?

eta: Anybody? Any opinions on Biden?

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:50 pm
Joe Biden is okay, I guess. A little two-faced maybe, seeing as he called Obama inexperienced before he was picked as VP. But he's energetic and experienced.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:54 pm
I'm republican and so is dh. You asked what we think. So here it is.

Dh thinks Biden is the stupidest senator in the senate.

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:55 pm
Sorry, I just think he did this to further his chances....

I was very impressed with Obama last night!!!

stem

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:59 pm
I thought Obama's speech was not his greatest. It was full of propaganda and towers in the air. I hope people will soon realize how little substance there is to him.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:00 pm
Obama is more like an entertainer. Somehow, he reminds me of Hugo Chavez when he talks.

There was outrage in the mainstream media when ABC anchor man Charles Gibson asked Obama a serious question about the economic effects of a capital gains tax. Who interrupts honeymooners to talk economics?

The fact that Senator Obama did not have a very coherent answer made things worse-- for Charles Gibson. Since Obama can do no wrong in the eyes of many of his supporters, they resented Gibson's having asked him such a question.

The question, incidentally was why Senator Obama was advocating a higher capital gains tax rate, when experience had shown that the government typically collected more revenue from a lower capital gains tax rate than from a higher rate.

Senator Obama acted as if he had never thought about it that way. He probably hadn't. He is a politician, not an economist.

Politically, what matters to the left-wing base that Obama has been playing to for decades is sticking it to "the rich." What effect that has on the tax revenues received by the government is secondary, at best.

What effect a higher capital gains tax rate will have on the economy today and on people's pensions in later years is a question that is not even on Senator Obama's radar screen.

Economists may say that higher capital gains tax rates can translate into lower levels of economic activity and fewer jobs, but Obama will leave that kind of analysis to the economists. He is in politics, and what matters politically is what wins votes right here and right now.

The kind of talk that won the votes-- and the hearts-- of the left-wing base of the Democratic Party during the primaries may not be enough to carry the day with voters in the general election. So Senator Obama has been changing his tune or, as he puts it, "refining" his message.

This was not the kind of "change" that the true believers among Obama's supporters were expecting. So there has been some wavering among the faithful and some ups and downs in the polls.

Despite an impressive political machine and a huge image makeover this year to turn a decades-long, divisive grievance-promoting activist into someone who is supposed to unite us all and lead us into the promised land of "change," little glimpses of the truth keep coming out.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:01 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I'm republican and so is dh. You asked what we think. So here it is.

Dh thinks Biden is the stupidest senator in the senate.
Do you think he's stupid? If the answer is yes, why? What examples can you give of his stupidity? I don't really want to know what your husband's reasoning is -- what's yours?

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:03 pm
I am just repeating what dh said. He was busy telling me about Joe Bidden one dinner time, and quite frankly, I was falling off my feet then. I, um, wasn't really listening so well (sorry dh!).I have never heard of him before this. I am not so into politics.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:05 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I am just repeating what dh said. He was busy telling me about Joe Bidden one dinner time, and quite frankly, I was falling off my feet then. I, um, wasn't really listening so well (sorry dh!).I have never heard of him before this. I am not so into politics.
I know some very intelligent people who are big supporters of Biden's, and I always want to hear what people think themselves about such things, and why.

Anyway, it surprises me that people here don't really like him, as he's known as very supportive of Israel.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:07 pm
sorry, then, for not having anything intelligent of my own to offer!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics