Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Election issues that matter
1  2  3  Next

Chani

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 5:42 pm
The candidates' positions on tax:

compare candidates tax proposals

Let's keep this thread for substantive issues...

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 5:49 pm
I'm not entirely sure where I stand, but I do know one thing. It all depends on what "rich" means. I don't think that anyone earning $250K is rich enough to have to pay taxes through the roof, especially us frum Jews, who send to private schools and pay much more for food and have additional yomtov expenses.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:45 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm not entirely sure where I stand, but I do know one thing. It all depends on what "rich" means. I don't think that anyone earning $250K is rich enough to have to pay taxes through the roof, especially us frum Jews, who send to private schools and pay much more for food and have additional yomtov expenses.

$250,000 a year is rich.

I know frum Jews have additional expenses, but IMO it's totally unrealistic to expect others to help us with that. Imagine if you heard this from some other religious group--gosh, we'd be happy to pay more taxes since we're making more than 99% of Americans, but the thing is, our religion requires us to send our kids to 15K/year private schools and buy nice foods each week and again for our many holidays, so we really can't. I don't think it would go over very well. I don't think that's the impression that frum Jews should be sending the rest of America.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 8:36 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Maya wrote:

$250,000 a year is rich.

I know frum Jews have additional expenses, but IMO it's totally unrealistic to expect others to help us with that. Imagine if you heard this from some other religious group--gosh, we'd be happy to pay more taxes since we're making more than 99% of Americans, but the thing is, our religion requires us to send our kids to 15K/year private schools and buy nice foods each week and again for our many holidays, so we really can't. I don't think it would go over very well. I don't think that's the impression that frum Jews should be sending the rest of America.

Of course not. We don't need to announce that we lead a more expensive life than others. But we also don't need a president who will make us pay a lot more taxes simply because it's considered rich, when all it really is is a comfortable life (assuming you live in New York and have a family of children).

Chani

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:23 am
Now let's look at the candidates' positions on education

Can anyone say "tuition vouchers"? Apparently not Obama...

Chani

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:27 am
Quote:
The McCain campaign has said that Arizona senator intends to keep the full federal funding for schools; he just wants to give more of that money to parents for them to send their kids to the public, private or religious schools of their choice. He has also said that he would like to commit a total of $750 million to develop "virtual schools" and curriculums, allowing students to take online classes in science, math and foreign languages.

Obama has said that his education proposals would cost about $18 billion and would be funded by trimming NASA's budget and auctioning surplus federal properties, among other measures. But most of the Illinois senator's education proposals are so costly that they would require Congress to approve additional new spending. He says he wants to make "a historic commitment" to education, because he wants to give every American child the same chances he had.

Ah, let's see - McCain - tuition vouchers to enable parents to send their children to the school of their choice, whether or not religious. Obama - let's increase taxes and not do beans for children in private school.

Chani

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 12:08 pm
Page after page of posts about the VP candidate's parenting and only a couple of responses to a discussion about the substantive issues? Oh well...

Crayon210

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:11 pm
What is Obama's idea for a "historic commitment to education"?

cassandra

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:03 pm
I was afraid of being vilified for my economic beliefs.

Vouchers, the best idea ever, unless you are ideologically committed to public education for all. Which I think is dumb. sorry I can't get more nuanced than that.

chavamom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:39 pm
Ah, just what we need. More tax breaks for corporations.

Chani

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:50 pm
deleted until after shabbos when I have time for a more complete answer.

chavamom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:58 pm
Old Reagan trickle down economics, eh?

Chani

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 9:08 pm
More accurately called "textbook economics".

Remember that it also comes bundled with a proposal to close numerous corporate tax loopholes.

gryp

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 9:30 pm
Smart idea for a thread, Chani. Thanks for starting it.

soldat

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 9:32 pm
can I add the next issue?
healthcare

chavamom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 3:25 am
A cool site from the Annenberg Foundation: http://www.factcheck.org/

Check out their videos of "just the facts" where they fact check statements from all the candidates.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:11 am
Thanks for the link, Chavamom. I've been to the site for specific things but never really looked the whole thing over.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 9:50 am
thanks chavamom
to the OP
maybe tonght I will cut and paste answers that I already gave....I'm hesitate to even do that ,bc I feel thiswilljust turn into another bash,gush thread of preferred candidate

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 10:34 am
Maya wrote:
Of course not. We don't need to announce that we lead a more expensive life than others. But we also don't need a president who will make us pay a lot more taxes simply because it's considered rich, when all it really is is a comfortable life (assuming you live in New York and have a family of children).

But it's not "us" being asked to pay more taxes. Frum Jews making over $200,000 or $250,000 together would have to pay more. Most frum Jews don't make that kind of money.

Personally, while I sympathize with those who have high salaries but also have large families and many tuitions to pay, I sympathize more with those who have much lower salaries. Most people in my former (frum) community make well under $100,000 a year, more like $50,000 a year if that--I'd rather they get the tax breaks. Somebody has to pay taxes, the only question is who... At least if Obama really starts pulling troops out of Iraq, taxpayers can save a few hundred billion there.

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 10:52 am
We wish, Ora. It will just be blown elsewhere.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics