Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Her teacher told me...

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 4:32 pm
My three year old's presnursery teacher told me that my dd is very advanced for her class and can do many things that the other kids cant for example..cutting with scissors, gluing, coloring in the lines etc. She is the oldest in her class. If they suggest to me that she should skip a grade I dont think I would want to. I think its better for her to be ahead of teh class than behind.
Should I be worried that shes so advanced? Her behaivor is for sure not advanced and she still acts like a 3 yr old.

MMEC123

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 4:44 pm
In the preschool years one of the most important area of development is socially. If her behavior is that of a normal 3 year old, keep her there. They can give her activities that are in her level of capabilities but skipping her forgets about the social aspect.

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 12:58 pm
If she's happy in the class I would leave her. You can always move her directly to kindergarten next year if she is still doing very well academically and social instead of a 2nd year of pre-k.

cubbie

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 2:40 pm
I think the most important thing at this age is to be in a safe and secure enviroment. My dd (3 1/2) is the oldest in her gan, she was the youngest last year and the youngest kids have the option to stay for a second year. I made the decision to keep her on based on the fact that she's in a really good place, with a warm and loving atmosphere, with a ganenet who really gets to know the kids. She is really happy and at that age this is the most important thing.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:20 pm
ok, thanks for your replies

GAMZu

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:28 pm
Yes, look at it from a social point of view!

BTW, what is pre-nursery? Isn't that like one year olds?

Pineapple

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:33 pm
GAMZu wrote:

Ussually its 2 year olds

octopus

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:39 pm
I wouldn't skip. So your child will get a heavier school load quicker? In first grade they already don't let the kids play...

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:46 pm
gross and fine motor skills are a great thing to have develop early - however, like mentioned, it is not the only criterion for a well-rounded, above avg. child. How is her speech, the coping and adjusting skills, toilet training, self dressing, feeding, general knowldege, etc... and as mentioned her social abilities. Often 'advanced' children end up short on social behavior becuase they aren't given the opportunity to grow and mature with their peers.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 9:55 pm
My child was accelerated, but a tremendous amount of thought went into it on the part of school administration, including involvement with the school psychologist and other personnel to determine whether it was the right move. A lot more went into the decision than the skills you're mentioning. I'm sure your child is bright, but I question whether enough careful thought has gone into this recommendation. She's also very young for them to have enough information about whether she would benefit from this.

soldat

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 11:28 pm
dd turned 4 her first day in a 3 year old class - she is thriving! as a teacher I see kids struggel when they are in a class socially and emotionally to advanced for them. you can always skip her another year.

GAMZu

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 11:44 pm
Pineapple wrote:
GAMZu wrote:

Ussually its 2 year olds

Interesting. My kids start kindergarten at 3.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 11:52 pm
Once upon a time, pre nursery was for 3 year olds, nursery was for 4 year olds and kindergarten was for 5 year olds. Playgroup was something mothers got together to do either with their children or without (rotating homes, moms, whatever) for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week.

soldat

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 11:55 pm
in most of the country kindergarten means age 5-6

flowerpower

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 11:56 pm
Skipping is never a good idea. From what she described, your dd has good motor skills-a good bonus. Be happy!

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 12:39 am
soldat wrote:
in most of the country kindergarten means age 5-6
Really? Wow. 5 years old is 1st grade already in our school.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 12:40 am
5 is pre-1-a.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 12:48 am
flowerpower wrote:
5 is pre-1-a.
Only in frummie schools.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 7:06 am
flowerpower wrote:
Skipping is never a good idea. From what she described, your dd has good motor skills-a good bonus. Be happy!
Although I agree that motor skills are not a reason to skip, I do think that in some cases, such as ours, it's a very good idea. It's been years, and we all agree it was the right thing to do, although at the time, it was a difficult decision.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 7:41 am
pre-nursery where I live is for 3 year olds. Her language is very good also. I'm not sure how she is doing socially. She tells me she plays with the blocks with one particular girl, but she tells me this every day. I guess ill see what happens..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers