Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Question about hechsher - rav Weissmandel

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 8:49 am
Rav Weissmandel's hechsher. Does anyone know if super Charedim/Chassidim eat it? My neighbor wants to buy Lieber's products and that is the hechsher. She wants to know if it's "equivalent" to the Israeli Badatz Eida hechsher.

Thanks

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:18 am
Do you mean in Israel? Or here?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:23 am
I mean Rav Weissmandel in the States. Supposedly he gives the hechsher on Liebers.

mynameismom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:25 am
Rabbi Weissmandle is the rav of Nitra in Monsey, I hope that helps (I googled it)

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:28 am
Isn't Nitra a Chassidish community? I'm not that familiar.

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:33 am
Most people I know eat Lieber's, and Rav Weissmandel's hechsher on other things.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:13 pm
As far as I know it's a good Hechsher. I actually live near Nitra in Mount Kisco and DH is familar with the Rav. I don't know if this helps as all.

Savta

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:57 pm
I don't know how a bunch of anonymous people here will give you teh go ahead on a hechsher but according to most people I know weismandle is a good hechsher and people in america that are careful with eida hachareidis use liebers/weismandle hechsher so good luck.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:57 pm
THank you everyone!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 2:21 pm
AFAIK, it's considered among the most reliable, high standard charedi hechsherim. I don't know if it's mammash on par with BaDatz eda hachareidis, which for the most part, our Vaad HaKashrus ( CH) relies on pretty much blanketly. With Weissmandel hechsher products they still would check out each individual product before approving, which is what they do with all charedi hechsherim besides BaDatz and Rav Landau.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 5:05 pm
For anything pareve, it seems to be considered an all-around fine hechsher.

Some people don't rely on the hechsher for meat and dairy products.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 8:19 pm
Its considered a good hechsher. not as good as badatz - that would be the hisachdus harabanim inthechasidishe veltinthe US - but a second tier good hechsher.

Emee

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 8:26 pm
I don't know if you really need any more info but my daughters school (chassidish) allows only 5 hechshserim and Weissmandel is one of them.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2008, 10:19 am
That's actually helpful, Emee!

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 13 2008, 11:44 am
Crayon210 wrote:
For anything pareve, it seems to be considered an all-around fine hechsher.

Some people don't rely on the hechsher for meat and dairy products.

I'd never heard that (not that it means anything). FTR, though, Weissmandl and OU are/were the joint heckshers on Rubashkin.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Oct 13 2008, 11:46 am
And not everyone eats Rubashkin's.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 13 2008, 11:49 am
Crayon210 wrote:
And not everyone eats Rubashkin's.

Actually, my point was a bit of the opposite, although I wasn't at all clear. A lot of people in my community have questions about the supervision of Rubashkin, so Weissmandl's supervision of it would be relevant to them.

Emee

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 6:28 am
Is rubashkins the lubavitch meat?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 10:36 am
It's owned by a Lubavitch family, yes.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 12:28 pm
Emee wrote:
Is rubashkins the lubavitch meat?
Rubashkin has several labels, each under it's own Rabbinical supervision. The Lubavitch supervision (CHK) supervises the Shor HaBor meat,chicken, and takes responsibility only for the meats and poultry with that label.

The Aaron's Best label is supervised by whoever the current supervision is (I think OU, was KAJ, did that change in the recent months? ), and Rabbi Weissmandel supervises the "Supreme" label meats. Certain standards are common to the entire plant, but there are many differences as well, between the different hechsherim. Personally, we use Shor HaBor, and not the other Rubashkin products.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen